• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1982 Volvo 245 the DL disaster

HemiHusky

hey everyone so ive had this project for a while but never sorta deemed it "turbobricks" worthy but a few freinds said i should post it on here. so i will be copy/pasting 1 post per day till we catch up (not too long) off the other forums. there will also be appearences from John hughes with bodywork as he has been working on this project too.

the vision for this car is a "what if volvo built a 265 turbo" with a 2.1 B21AT R sport carb turbo kit. anyway lets get on with it!

-------------------------------

so welcome to my new project! bought on a kind of blind knowing off john hughes. this being a early 240 (at least early scuttle) that was cheap. and maybe make a good project, the car got delivered early satday morning on the back of a old mitsubishi looking rather sorry for itself knowing prior the engine had "issues" we starter motored it up the yard and parked it in the naughty corner.

initial inspection was good verry minimal rust in the usual areas. some odd areas mainly caused by the prior owners stupidity. the fake cladding caused some rust. vinyl roof didnt help the rain gutters. but we got the engine to fire. and oh god it sounded like someone was smacking the block with a hammer. a real nasty *CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK* so what do you do? pull the engine. and start faffing. ill update each day as its been a few week since i owned this car but been too busy to start a thread!

out comes the old 2.1

1 by ramawson, on Flickr

got the wheel trims off to at least make it look semi respectable

2 by ramawson, on Flickr

obligitory "no engine here" shot

3 by ramawson, on Flickr

ohhhh deary dear
4 by ramawson, on Flickr

yummy. thats some lovely gunk and brass in there

5 by ramawson, on Flickr

dont think this poor engine's seen a oil change in a LONG time

6 by ramawson, on Flickr

somehow the A cam has survived!

7 by ramawson, on Flickr

fitted GLT leathers i got off chesh. then turned it into a parts dump

8 by ramawson, on Flickr

sorta a shot of the rear leathers

9 by ramawson, on Flickr

riding high with no engine

10 by ramawson, on Flickr

engine on the floor ready to strip down

11 by ramawson, on Flickr

how it looked when it arrived. with me faffing with the oil pressure switch

12 by ramawson, on Flickr

so as promiced another update. this one is more of a "general bodywork search" showing off why we decided this 240 needed saving. and a bit more of the pulling of the engine pictures. also some of the amazing bodge work that has happened on this car before. some how do we say.....interesting fix's going on

bulkhead seam not rusty

13 by ramawson, on Flickr

floor by chassis rail not rusty

14 by ramawson, on Flickr

joining seam between rear quater and sil not rusty

15 by ramawson, on Flickr

A pillars not rusty

16 by ramawson, on Flickr

rear seam has some slight rust on the inside but not bubbled to the outer edge yet. verry savable

17 by ramawson, on Flickr

original sils in good condition showing the original weird volvo spray pattern

18 by ramawson, on Flickr

sil ends ok

19 by ramawson, on Flickr

tailgate wiring bodge. supprising the wiring works!

20 by ramawson, on Flickr

3rd brake light bodge. this bodge is hiding a bodge! bodge ception

22 by ramawson, on Flickr

by the end of the first day

24 by ramawson, on Flickr

amazing 3rd brake light bondo job and it still didnt hold

25 by ramawson, on Flickr

fake cladding and torslanda stripes need to come off!

26 by ramawson, on Flickr

lets see the horrors within. wish i hadnt

27 by ramawson, on Flickr

powerplant sat on the floor. tiny gearbox

28 by ramawson, on Flickr

other side showing the carb

29 by ramawson, on Flickr

Good score on a mostly rustfree early cowl car!

What is the plan on R-Sport Kit?
My buddy wants to build a B19AT and therefore he wants to convert his N/A carb to suit the turbo. Do you know anything about this conversion?
So far we've found this http://zenithcarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburettor/spares/id/4436/ but im still not sure what is really needed.
Can you help me a bit? :)

hey there yes if you PM me i have pretty much every single piece of original literature for it. workshop manuals etc. and from my understanding so far. the carb is not much differant from a standard 175CD. has stronger diaphram and a slightly differant needle, i have a few "turbo" carbs so i can experement with them.

more updates. so after the engine was chainsawed out of the old 240 the strip down started in the background really mainly cause its not that exciting. rather grimy but ya know. not much special.

i bought a set of early hazzard and rear demist switches off matthew widdop as i much prefer the early switches and the nice clunk they give, meanwhile i had the head skimmed by drakes in bradford and started to build the engine.

its a rather mashup franken engine this as its a 2.1 head on a 2.3 B230E bottom end (luckily still has the hole for the carb fuel pump so swapped aux shafts over) meaning the CR is somewhere between a B21 and B23. but should still be ok to run. gave the block a nice coat of paint n all the parts a good clean up too.

all was going well untill we found number 4 spark plug thread completely gone. nice of drakes to mention that *grumble grumble* so used the head to lift it into the car. sat it on its new engine mounts i bought for it (and gearbox mount) and took the head back off. again.

old style switches

30 by ramawson, on Flickr

fairly good condition for their age

31 by ramawson, on Flickr

pile o bits to rebuild the engine

32 by ramawson, on Flickr

skimmed head

33 by ramawson, on Flickr

4x4 ride hight engage!

34 by ramawson, on Flickr

bare block start of the build

35 by ramawson, on Flickr

head on

36 by ramawson, on Flickr

fresh lick of paint and cam in

37 by ramawson, on Flickr

hand polished the cam. not the greatest job in the world but its better than what it was

38 by ramawson, on Flickr

turbo lid on loan by john hughes as mine is proper gammy

39 by ramawson, on Flickr

getting closer

40 by ramawson, on Flickr

ready for the lift now the sumps on

41 by ramawson, on Flickr

in the car but head off. one step back =(

42 by ramawson, on Flickr

so after all that debarkle with the head after i got it back it was back into full swing. i bought some more early switches off ebay as im going for the early switch look. including a rear fog light switch fasten seatbelts and a purple aux switch that will be used for my efan.

put the head on the car and torqued up. we had a issue with our torque wrench out of calibration so first it leaked water like a sive but after a 2nd re-torque all was well and runs really well. block has some slight piston slap on cold. but they all do specialy after 202,000 miles, put some thicker oil in n a pressure gauge to keep a eye on stuff n itll be right. my 740 does it on cold at a certain rpm. never caused a issue.

cleaned up my glt leathers a bit and started a brake service that turned out to be bad news as 3 outta 4 calipers are shot. so dropped it back onto its wheels for now as we cant do much currently till the calipers arrive. but some nice things did arrive, a original casssette tape holder, some drive belts and a replacement fuel pump as mine is leaking air and fuel so its not doing many favors and ruining my paintwork!

more early switches

43 by ramawson, on Flickr

all installed. the 2 blank ones will be used for power windows. if i can find some of them switches

45 by ramawson, on Flickr

engine taking shape now

46 by ramawson, on Flickr

cleaned the glt leathers

47 by ramawson, on Flickr

up in the air. its had one recon caliper. passenger side all the rest are rodgered

49 by ramawson, on Flickr

back down on its hubcaps

50 by ramawson, on Flickr

cassette holder

52 by ramawson, on Flickr

drive belts

53 by ramawson, on Flickr

fuel pump

54 by ramawson, on Flickr

so some more stuff happened to the 245 over this long easter weekend i got some nice shiny recon calipers thanks to brakes int including fitting kits at not a bad price. got what we thought would be a temporary exhaust holding system turns out none of it fitted at all as it was all the wrong type. so that sadly went back. i have a jetex system on order but we wanted to MOT the car with this exhaust. deciding to wait now as other things are also on backorder so its not moving as fast now.

so fitting the calipers was a utter bitch the rears after taking the spring out to get a proper grip did come undone and the rear set of brake pipes were savable. the front did NOT want to play so got chopped off and a new one will be made. rear calipers on. i have black diamond pads and Mtec disks on order. once again back ordered so waiting on them sadly.

fitted my new fuel pump that cant be properly tested currently as the engine has no exhaust but it dosent appear to leak so. that much is good, fitted some new drive belts and then started to faf with the old volvo sound radio. gave it a clean up and WD40'd the hell out of everything to get it free again and it works! supprising with all the rust on the inside even the tape works.

new exhaust on the floor.

56 by ramawson, on Flickr

new calipers + fitting kits, nice and shiny!

57 by ramawson, on Flickr

old front caliper off, pistons were well stuck!

58 by ramawson, on Flickr

caliper spider is judging you

59 by ramawson, on Flickr

rear calipers on

60 by ramawson, on Flickr

enviromentaly friendly my car is =)

61 by ramawson, on Flickr

the troublesome 2

62 by ramawson, on Flickr

new fuel pump fitted

63 by ramawson, on Flickr

new drive belts fitted

64 by ramawson, on Flickr

rusty radio

65 by ramawson, on Flickr

all back together and working well!

66 by ramawson, on Flickr

new cam cover gasket

67 by ramawson, on Flickr

A pillar ariel

68 by ramawson, on Flickr

right another update. been slightly quiet mainly due to work etc but im back

so, whats been happening on the 245. not a great deal. bought some nice Mtec drilled and grooved disks + black diamond pads to go with my recon calipers as a brakes overhaul, got my AEM wideband to setup the carb/check for fueling issues on the motorway and then will be used after the car is turbo'd too so not a total waste.

some nice pressed plates and a sticker that if people can work out is rather true, then i dordled off to banrsley with the roof bars on the 740 to secure this really good condition cofin nose bonnet. it has slight rust where the frame used to sit as its come away from the inner frame as most do it seems but its major dent free and rust free so will be a good addition as i prefer the coffin nose style.

bought a set of complete locks as currently i got a differant key for each thing. drivers door is diff to passengers door thats diff to the ignition and the boot key i aint even got!, got a 5 bar oil pressure gauge and the rubber feet to mount it. a rare 265 early uncracked center console with the rare rear power window bucket bit for cheap as it was advertised as "volvo center console" on ebay america. score!

got a genuine cam cover gasket as mine will invevitbly leak sometime and my amazing 3 gauge pod and GT braces from aus, in real good condition for the price and age i bought them at, 1 broken tab but find me one that isnt broken or cracked or something nowerdays, and dropped them into the car to give me a motivation boost n cheer me up, so thats all for now. more to come soon on the brakes mission.

brakes and pads

69 by ramawson, on Flickr

AEM wideband gauge

70 by ramawson, on Flickr

pressed plates and sticker

71 by ramawson, on Flickr

coffin nose bonnet underside

72 by ramawson, on Flickr

slight rust forming

73 by ramawson, on Flickr

strapped on the roof. using reflections to judge dents

74 by ramawson, on Flickr

new locks for the car

75 by ramawson, on Flickr

5 bar oil gauge

76 by ramawson, on Flickr

rubber feet for the gauge

77 by ramawson, on Flickr

center console

78 by ramawson, on Flickr

genuine cam cover gasket

79 by ramawson, on Flickr

gt braces and gauges

80 by ramawson, on Flickr

close up on the gauges

81 by ramawson, on Flickr

how they sit in the car

82 by ramawson, on Flickr

another small update that i couldnt fit into the last!

after resting the gauges in the car i went about sorting the brakes out with new Mtec disks, recon calipers black diamond pads and new hardware all round, even the rain wasnt stopping me as 740 to the rescue to make a make shift tent untill the hail past, managed to put them on the wrong way around first time whoops! also "adjusted" volvos stupid strut design and slotted the brake line bracket so i can remove them later on.

then did some wiring to take my fog light switch from on the dashboard to the center console on the old style switch, love how they light up the whole switch, and then warming the car up it just died, no fuel being delivered at all n heres your issue, pump arm had snapped almost clean off, crappy pro parts sweden part couldve easily been a lot worse aka dead engine!

other than that gave it a clean sorted out the front and then made the volt gauge work to cheer me up a bit more after the fuel pump fiasco!

740 to the rescue!

83 by ramawson, on Flickr

disks on! the wrong way around.

84 by ramawson, on Flickr

"adjusting" the strut

85 by ramawson, on Flickr

disks and calipers all finished

86 by ramawson, on Flickr

rear foglight switch light up

87 by ramawson, on Flickr

broken fuel pump

88 by ramawson, on Flickr

dropped the car back onto the ground

89 by ramawson, on Flickr

volt meter working

90 by ramawson, on Flickr

cleaned up the front

91 by ramawson, on Flickr

fear my performance brakes behined DL steelies! looks so stupid

92 by ramawson, on Flickr[

things have been happening just mainly off camera and slowly as the 740's been a priority for its MOT. more on that in the other thread, anyway the 240 has had a bit done.

dragged the cover off it and got it in the sun with johns 245 turbo, went to a 80 244 breaker and got some good big bumpers + rubbers, early center console (i was toying with the idea but not gonna work sadly with a late dash) and some other odds n sods for the car. then it got rolled into johns workshop for some roof work. sanding all the horid vinyl glue off the roof and filling dents. going well so far i think!

i also got a coffin nose grill. that came off the same car my bonnet came from! but that will be a inbetween grille untill i find a good condition turbo one.

the 2 together

93 by ramawson, on Flickr

the DL disaster

94 by ramawson, on Flickr

sanding of roof almost complete

95 by ramawson, on Flickr

first time the rust bucket has moved more than a foot. into johns workshop

96 by ramawson, on Flickr

new grille

97 by ramawson, on Flickr

Was that a Scantech unit? Damn, we just bought one without knowing its a scamtech from Skandix, and it looks pretty similar. Its kinda hard to move its arm too. :grrr:

this one was a "pro parts sweden" pump bought off polar parts germany. ebay but it could be the same unit it was utter ****e to be honest. and trying to get a refund was impossible as they wanted to keep sending replacements. so that pump became a throwing device n now lives outside in the scrap pile

Another update on the 245, i have been doing stuff just been neglecting a update untill something with some bulk came along, so i tried the new grille i got on from minty and fits as well as volvo did, aka a pinky finger pannel gap each side! and started the prep on my bonnet removing the tiny parts of surface rust and fading it out found some of the original style VDO external temp senders on skandix for my gauges.

got a oil temp gauge in celcius from the states and fitted a new (used) fuel pump from a breaker car meaning the 245 now runs again! then stripped the interior back apart to give it a good clean and re-fit the gear shift boot.

then after a bit more prep i myself sprayed my bonnet in primer, first time ive ever sprayed anything in my life but it was quite fun and didnt go to badly i think. will update when the proper paint gets applied big thanks to john H as usual for showing me the basics of what to do when spraying, was quite a fun evening

bonnet on the pannel stand

98 by ramawson, on Flickr

testing grille fit

99 by ramawson, on Flickr

underbonnet shot

100 by ramawson, on Flickr

dealing with rust

101 by ramawson, on Flickr

soon my vision will come good

102 by ramawson, on Flickr

a rare coffin flat 2460 with a roof mounted bonnet

103 by ramawson, on Flickr

senders and a NOS air condo switch for me

104 by ramawson, on Flickr

oil temp gauge

105 by ramawson, on Flickr

fuel pump on n running

106 by ramawson, on Flickr

cleaning the interior

107 by ramawson, on Flickr

cleaned carpets

108 by ramawson, on Flickr

bonnet prepped

109 by ramawson, on Flickr

finished primer layer

110 by ramawson, on Flickr

me spraying the bonnet

111 by ramawson, on Flickr

went to birmingham for a week so the 240 halted briefly, whats been going on? well.

got my new 5 bar oil pressure gauge kit from the states this one has a non sun faded needle, factor wiring and the sender included so was a straight fit and got it working, 203,000 mile block donated by Ste right up to 5 bar on the flick of the key so not too bad.

got a blue headrest to paint black as im having early headrests front + back in a sorta 260 style if volvo had done it that way, i do carry passengers in the rear so headrests will be usefull, got some early style indicator trim for it, replaced the broken glovebox with a working one despite the huge gap at the top thats how they seem to fit.

sorted my gauges into a final resting possition untill the turbo swap, cut most of a L.H wiring loom out of a 240 (EZK side anyway) need a cross over part to the ECM as i didnt have time to get that but ah well, did some flatting on the bonnet underside in prep for paint so it will be nice and shiny under the bonnet, cleaned up my early breather style rocker lid bought from Antz's breaker 240 came up well i think possibly gonna polish it up.

finally got pictures of my big bumpers i own i got 3 in total 1 bent one 1 complete rear and 1 body with no rubbers so ill make 1 good one out of the few i got their relitively corrosion free, and got a early style gear knob from antz too. so yeah projects moving just slowly

5 bar oil pressure gauge kit

113 by ramawson, on Flickr

early headrest

114 by ramawson, on Flickr

fixed glovebox

116 by ramawson, on Flickr

gauge position sorted

117 by ramawson, on Flickr

L.H loom

118 by ramawson, on Flickr

oil pressure gauge working

119 by ramawson, on Flickr