• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Save a newbie who is lost in the woods of the megasquirting guides

Msi

Hello TB!

I've searched and read and searched again and read some more. I want to do this right, with as least mistakes possible. Hence I dare ask this question -

Please point me to the most definitive guide(s), here or elsewhere, on how to MS my 96' b200ft 940.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew.

I recommend a v3.0 which will be easier to modify for coil on plug or other goodness (Peak & Hold drivers, PWM Idle, high current ignition drivers, Boost Control, launch control, etc) The only down side of a v3.0 is that it has to be assembled but that is also a plus because than you custom build it to your application. Oh and the v3.0 may need a dual VR conditioner board like JBPerf sells. A modified MS2 will do 4 cylinder sequential injection and 4 spark outputs for coil on plug.

You might be able to get a BOB kit or sacrifice an OEM ecu for the connector and make a plug & play.
This depends on the quality of your OEM harness.
To get more than just the basic system you will need to go beyond the factory wiring at the connector.
Do yourself a favor and avoid the relay board kit, it creates more problems than it fixes.
You will need a good wiring diagram of your model car, no guessing.....

Besides the MS you will need a Wide Band O2 System so you can tune it yourself and so you can monitor because there is no check engine light on the MS.

You also need to look at what supporting parts on the car are you going to use.
Does the 96 use a flywheel crank sensor and a empty distributor ?
You can use the Bosch ignitor and OEM coil and distributor or
You can ditch the distributor and do wasted spark or coil on plug, sequential if you can get a cam signal.
And when doing this you can use smart coils that pump out a bunch more spark
Check injector impedance.
Then is the TPS variable, or an idle/wot switch? The MS wants a variable resistor.
BOsch coolant temp sender works fine
I think the Intake Air Temp is built into the MAF (which you will probably want to eliminate), adding an open element temp sensor in the air box/filter will make the MS happy. For a turbo install it should be in the charge pipe right before the throttle body.
last is Idle Air Control (2 wire?)

Some one here makes a stealth install with a Microsquirt in a OEM case I think.
Lots of options and which you chose now will affect what you can/will do later when you see how easy it is to work with and how well it works.

If your plan is to go balls deep don't get caught in the training gotchya, just go for it. Sneaking up on a target system causes more pain than going for it.
And some hardware choices are more difficult to implement and don't fully support all the MS features.

The last one I worked on I used MS2v3.0, with a Nissan CAS (with a DIY trigger wheel that supplies both cam and crank signals) on the back of the head, and TS4427 FET driver to run a VW 4post smart coil, and some Bosch TPS sensor (BMW?), and it had an air temp sensor (Bosch) in the throttle body (early EFI model), OEM Bosch CLT sensor. A DIY stepper IAC (4wire) Kit because the early volvo IAC was no good or warm up only. Also a DIY boost control valve and kit. RC750 injectors and 20# of boost. A new in-tank pump and a Walbro255 high pressure pump with the factory fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. I had to build the gutted relay circuit to drive the tach in the 86.
This is because the car was already Frankenstein'd, an 86 760 model with a squirter block motor swapped in and a mishmash of other parts.

You are smart to work out your system up front rather than buying a microsquirt because it is cheapest and saying "now what do I do".
Note a MicroSquirt is not the same as a MS2 and does not support the full MS2 featureset.
So line up your ducks here and figure out the details here before spending money.

Last edited:
What do you want the ECU to do? Just run the engine?
Are you going to use a flex-fuel sensor?
Boost by gear?
Launch control?
Anti-lag?

What is the trigger system on the b200ft? Crank or distributor?

I'm guessing the 96 has a flywheel sensor and empty (rotor only) distributor.
I did not talk about MS3 it has many more features.
And if you plan to go there you should start there as the MS2 platform is completely different.

Last edited:
Right. I should have been more specific about my current setup and what I'm aiming for.

The car is a 96`, originally auto with a 13c turbo and LH2.4.
Trigger system is crank (60-2 on flywheel I think) and an empty distributor.

Current setup -
531 head, 16t on a 6cm straight exhaust housing,
2.5" intake, large IC from classicswede
3" DP, cat delete, 2.5" to a single muffler from a 4.6L Jeep,
380cc (at 3bar) inj + FPR set to 4bar (effectively yielding 440cc), 255 in-tank walbro
EZK + ECU chips scaled to 440cc
MBC, AEM Wideband O2 with analog logging
Manual 5 speed transmission (Type9 from a Ford sierra ... stop laughing)
Welded 4.1 rear axle and a bunch of suspension stiffening stuff.
Moare unrelated goodies (oil cooler, oil filter relocation, air filter, etc, etc, etc)

Currently used for -
This has started out as a car to learn going sideways, properly.
It has turned out to a test bed, i'm basically trying out all kinds of stuff with it, and learning a lot.

Make no mistake - it's a runner, and I am keeping it that way. No matter what am I experimenting with.

Aiming for -
I want to develop my engine management and tunning skillz on that test bed.
Continue going sideways.
But mainly, I want to teach myself engine management and tuning A-Z.

Right now I write code for living and play with cars for fun. I try to leave no stone un-turned while I'm at it. I like getting down to the bits and bolts of every aspect of whatever it is I'm currently fiddling with in the car. Sometimes to a ridiculous level of researching the living **** out of everything.

I hope to do cars (electronics, software and even mechanics) for living and fun.

So, I will end-up experimenting with more than one EMS, on that car, as I progress, eventually.
But, I need to start somewhere.
For the first system I want one that has as much community support as possible, as much docs as possible, as user friendly as possible and so on and so forth.

Thank You for your time and wisdom TBers :)

If you have a good working LH2.4 setup, and nothing too unusual on the engine, linuxman51's plug&play Microsquirt setups are a nice choice that allows swapping ECU systems back and forth. Plus you won't have the full do-it-all-yourself learning curve getting to the initial configuration and tune. OOTH, you'll learn more sooner doing it all yourself. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=144251

Is shipping from the USA a concern? How's your soldering and wiring skills?

If you have a good working LH2.4 setup ...

LH2.4 and wiring are mint and stock, other than the EZK/ECU chips and the EZK daughter board that I soldered into the EZK to make it chip-able.
Shipping from the USA is not a concern.
Soldering and wiring skills are in place. It's how I meditate at the end of a day =)

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for this pointer -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=144251

I've actually not seen it previously. I knew there were hidden gems on TB =)

Seems like linuxman51's plug&play setups are a good entry point for my cause.

Back