• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Which coil packs for wasted spark?

m4ff3w

Which coil packs should I use for my X1/9? MS2/Extra. Car is 1.5l 8v, will run about 10 psi from a 13c.

Autocrosser and daily driver. Any real difference between EDIS-4, DSM, Toyota, or any other coil packs that I will find at the local Pick-N-Pull?

i'm going to use LS2 yukon truck coils. I do know a guy running a VL boosted 18psi. He's had no issues so far.
They are about 24 bucks each on ebay.

Which coil packs should I use for my X1/9? MS2/Extra. Car is 1.5l 8v, will run about 10 psi from a 13c.

Autocrosser and daily driver. Any real difference between EDIS-4, DSM, Toyota, or any other coil packs that I will find at the local Pick-N-Pull?

not sure it helps answer your question but I could not find dsm coils at any of the yards near my house. Edis on the other hand is plentiful, and about a third of the price of dsm coils new.

90-92 Mazda miata uses DSM coils/ignitor- 95-98 4 cyl Hyundai Elantra & Sonata also.

The Miata coils don't seem to be quite as hot as the ones used in DSM coils, though they'll still work up to around 14 psi.

Thats interesting, because the Miata ignitor even has the same Mitsubishi logo & part number as the DSM one- I would think the Hyundai coils wold be the weaker ones, since all 4 coils share a common pole piece, the DSM coils can be seperated

Thats interesting, because the Miata ignitor even has the same Mitsubishi logo & part number as the DSM one- I would think the Hyundai coils wold be the weaker ones, since all 4 coils share a common pole piece, the DSM coils can be seperated

the hyundai coils that are currently employed on heeb-01 didn't have any trouble (that I'm aware of) lighting off the charge at 27psi.

^ +1.

Kenny's run them up way farther than I've gone. I have them running on my uncle's 244 and they're flawless. Hyundai/Mitsu, same part. They're so easy to hook up as well.

The toyota coilsticks may work fine if you can get them to fit, but they seem partial to applications where you've got a pent-roof chamber/center spark plug location. So far so good on mine, but I've only run them up to 14psi. Time will tell.

I haven't seen anyone use the toyota wasted spark coilpacks yet.
There's no reason the ford "edis" packs won't work without edis.
I'd like to see someone crank it up with the ls1/ls2 coilpacks.

The answer is pretty much anything will work... but lots of people have successfully used the mitsu/hyundai units.

have fun with it.

I really don't see going above about 15psi (10ish is probably where it will stay) without killing my transaxle, there are lots of Hyundai's at PnP, so I'll probably go with them.

Thanks yall.

..I'd like to see someone crank it up with the ls1/ls2 coilpacks...

Doesn't John "the aspirator" run them sequentially on his 242?

I've used both the edis and the dsm/hyundai coil on mine. The hyundai setup is nice because it has the tach adaptor already integrated with the coil, and it uses normal spark plug wire terminals instead of those oddball ford connectors. I have the coil bolted into the distributor hold down hole and I use stock 240 wires with it.

Make sure you get the dsm ignitor too.

Back