home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-13-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
245TIBoricua
Board Member

Default Stock 245 turbo strut

I remember years back that i had removed the stock 1982 245 turbo wagon struts and they were orange in color that had the Volvo logo and the part number next to it. My question is are the bilsteins heavy duty any stiffer than these? What would they compare to, if we were to compare them to the Bilsteins heavy duty, Bilsteins touring classics, Turbo boge etc?
245TIBoricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Default turbo 240 gas shocks.

The gas shocks that came in the turbo 240 series are comparable to the Bilstein Touring Class or the Boge Turbo Gas shocks. The Touring Class Bilsteins are just a bit stiffer than the Boge Turbo Gas. The original gas shocks feel closest to the Boge Turbo Gas in my opinion.

The Bilstein HD are much stiffer and give a bigger, better handling improvement than all of the above mentioned shocks. You'll also have a firmer ride with the HD Bilsteins but it's still a comfortable ride in my experience.

Best regards,
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
Coupe' de Grace
Slowest in the West™

boge turbo gas was the OEM strut
Coupe' de Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Default gas strut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe' de Grace
boge turbo gas was the OEM strut
FYI, they may have been made by Boge but they are totally different construction. Thus technically not the same.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Seem to recall something about the OEM's being DeCarbon brand or something like that. Bilstein HD's are gonna be a touch stiffer than those, though still an awesome ride. Once you put in stiff springs it starts getting a bit harsh though.
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:59 PM   #6
Ricky_Ricardo
Board Member

I've owned several 245GLTs and two of them had the black struts that said "deCarbon" in blue lettering while one had the orange struts that said "Volvo" in black lettering.

Today, my 1984 245GLT has Boge Turbo struts & shocks and my 1982 245 GLT has Bilstein HD struts & shocks. In my opinion, the Bilstein HD feels exactly like the black "deCarbon" struts while the Boge Turbo feels like the orange "Volvo" struts.

Needless to say, the Bilstein/deCarbon struts give a much more controlled ride then the Boge Turbo/Volvo struts. The Bilsteins can be considered harsh by more then a few people; the Boge Turbos feel just about "right" to just about everyone outside of the true "boy racers."

The only problem I've run into is that the Boge Turbos have a lifespan of about 60k miles while the Bilsteins go over 100k plus. When you factor in the labor cost (or your own time if you're a DIYer) and the necessary alignment needed after you install struts/shocks then it's worth it to simply ante up the extra 1/3rd it costs for the Bilstein HDs. They simply give you more for your money over the long run. The only problem, for some, could be the stiffness of the ride. On poor roads they can simply "pound" you, but the handling is simple surpurb and is definitely several steps above the Boge Turbos.

On a personal note, my '82 with 75k on its Bilstein HDs feels "newer" and gives a more controlled ride that my '84 with 38k miles on its Boge Turbos. The Boges have definitely worn out some over the course of 38k miles (they've gotten softer and less able to control the ride) while the Bilsteins feel almost like new with virtually no loss of performance by the seat of my pants.

Cost-wise, over the span of 100k miles, it really pays to go the Bilstein HD route over the Boge Turbos.
Ricky_Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:39 AM   #7
towerymt
the real Towery

After ~50k, my Bil HD struts were leaking, but still rode fine. I had them rebuilt/revalved to match stiffer springs, but they were ready to be serviced anyhow.
Originally Posted by Poik View Post
244s are drop dead ugly and suck.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
vvpete
Board Member

Default R-Sport Struts for the 240

The black struts were for the GT/GLT models and were R-Sport parts. Early 140 R-Sport shocks were bright yellow and had both the 'DeCarbon' name and Volvo R-Sport logo on them. The 'DeCarbon' brand is a racing shock maker and IMHO, the DeCarbon are much firmer than Bil's HD. This was from some tests I did on a '78 242GT.
The word 'DeCarbon' means in French, 'of carbon', or filled with CO2 gas. The Bil's use Nitrogen gas. The compressibility of nitrogen is greater than CO2, and thus under hard damping pressures, the CO2 gas will deflect less than a Nitrogen shock. The DeCarbon shocks are the choice of motorcycle racers for this reason.

I believe the DeCarbon struts are still available, just recently looked up Volvo p/n 1229575, and are ~$150 ea.
vvpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
Ricky_Ricardo
Board Member

I looked for available deCarbon struts/shocks for Volvo 240s and couldn't come up with anything. Where did you find them? Also, I've read on several forums that there were different types (or models) or deCarbons used on the Volvos. What ones, if the aforementioned is true, were you referring to that cost $150 (each, I assume)?

Thanks.
Ricky_Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
vvpete
Board Member

Try this site:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213784
vvpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
Lord_Athlon
300+ Clurb

I know bumpage is stupid, but on my 242, I have orange De Carbon shocks with a volvo pn crappily stamped into the plastic. Would these be the good ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Yet Asher here went with...
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #12
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Default shocks

The orange struts I have are branded Boge with Volvo part numbers on them. From what Pete has told me. De Carbon made them for Boge to sell to Volvo. The factory gas shocks as used on 242GT and turbo 240s is not as stiff as the Bilstein HD shocks in my experience.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #13
Jordan
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Seem to recall something about the OEM's being DeCarbon brand or something like that. Bilstein HD's are gonna be a touch stiffer than those, though still an awesome ride. Once you put in stiff springs it starts getting a bit harsh though.
Yeah. DeCarbon is what the parts supplier I am familiar with sells as OEM too.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #14
Lord_Athlon
300+ Clurb

Mine were part of the Volvo Lowering Sport Kit for the 240
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:57 PM   #15
NC244GLT
Board Member

What about the Koni Sports? Are they really much better than the Bils? It's an extra $160 for the set (not much if you break it down...$40 each) but what do they feel like in comparison to the Bils? Also, my 244T sits ALOT lower stock than a standard 240 of the same year, so what is the effect of lowering springs on the turbo cars?
'98 S90 - Stock...couldn't pass it up.
'12 MX5 SE - What a fun car!
NC244GLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvpete View Post
The black struts were for the GT/GLT models and were R-Sport parts. Early 140 R-Sport shocks were bright yellow and had both the 'DeCarbon' name and Volvo R-Sport logo on them. The 'DeCarbon' brand is a racing shock maker and IMHO, the DeCarbon are much firmer than Bil's HD. This was from some tests I did on a '78 242GT.
The word 'DeCarbon' means in French, 'of carbon', or filled with CO2 gas. The Bil's use Nitrogen gas. The compressibility of nitrogen is greater than CO2, and thus under hard damping pressures, the CO2 gas will deflect less than a Nitrogen shock. The DeCarbon shocks are the choice of motorcycle racers for this reason.

I believe the DeCarbon struts are still available, just recently looked up Volvo p/n 1229575, and are ~$150 ea.

Sure this is old but while searching for info on the inserts PN 127 2330 I stubled onto this---shock! the search function worked!

Sorry VVpete, "De Carbon" is the last name of the guy who invented and patented the mono-tube gas shock and licenced Bilstein, Koni, KYB and Showa to make versions of them.
All those and more are design wise virtually identical---and interchangeable internally.
Example a kid in SoCal last year picked up a Misterbitchy Eclipsed rally car and he said not only was it a s dog, but it was bouncing all over and he was asking if I knew where to get internal parts for his Aussie made DMS.
His job was rebuilding and revalving all sorts of motorcycle shocks so he knew how to take junk apart and do things, so I told him I had stacks of Bilstein pistons and shims that I could send him, but thought he must know somebody blowing up Bilstein truck shocks..
3 days later he called to say thanks and said it was simple, just used the piston and shim pack out of some truck shocks, everything fit. (It was NA and still a huge dog)

Anyway, we'll see if these DeCarbons can be revalved pretty soon.

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote