home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #251
davidmacq
Bored Member

Like the retuning? You'd think that would change things enough to screw the dyno. Where the knock threshold is, or exhaust test like you said would show more. Or mpg. Facts are some people do have empirical results. Things they can see. The ones that have done it. You won't get empirical till you try it. Dyno isn't gonna do nothing.

Retune and dyno. Well you are just testiing knock threshold in another way right? Trying to wring hp out of the mod. Different gas, different temps, and lots of other stuff probably will affect what you can get. The different squish, the different compression ratio. I don't see how you would ever be satisfied with a dyno if you give it some thought.

I mean, if someone retunes and goes more advance. Well someone should say the HP is from the advance! Then you gotta be trying to prove that the engine couldn't be running that amount of advance from the start. Couldn't maintain that tune.

So when some dude gets on the road and with same tune same **** everything, and says he can do X in 4th gear or something and he couldnt' before, that is empirical. lol

Your kind of empirical is like bars of gold in your hand. The grooves probably aren't ever gonna do 10 percent improvements in anything. Not without more boost, or more compression ratio, etc.

Last edited by davidmacq; 06-26-2006 at 04:12 PM..
Old 06-26-2006, 04:08 PM   #252
Chris_R
Kickin' rocks in sandals

The SSGT is not, by itself, designed to improve horsepower, correct? It is designed to allow for better MPG and flame propogation and all that... Now you CAN take that improvement, shave the head, advance the timing, up the boost, etc. and make more power.

But the grooves in-and-of themselves don't make power... Or have I been at the computer too long today?
1995 964 (Silver)
1992 944Ti (White)
1996 965 (Burgundy) - Scrap
1994 945 Ti (Black) - Sirius Black Scrap
1992 944 GL (Black) - Killed by drunk driver
1988 745Ti (Silver) - Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBrickMan View Post
Long story short I found out she's a squirter.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #253
PetesDustyVolvo
one car, two bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmacq
Like the retuning? You'd think that would change things enough to screw the dyno. Where the knock threshold is, or exhaust test like you said would show more. Or mpg. Facts are some people do have empirical results. Things they can see. The ones that have done it. You won't get empirical till you try it. Dyno isn't gonna do nothing.

Retune and dyno. Well you are just testiing knock threshold in another way right? Trying to wring hp out of the mod. Different gas, different temps, and lots of other stuff probably will affect what you can get. The different squish, the different compression ratio. I don't see how you would ever be satisfied with a dyno if you give it some thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_R
The SSGT is not, by itself, designed to improve horsepower, correct? It is designed to allow for better MPG and flame propogation and all that... Now you CAN take that improvement, shave the head, advance the timing, up the boost, etc. and make more power.

But the grooves in-and-of themselves don't make power... Or have I been at the computer too long today?
you guys should read up on EFI and tuning for a few months and then come back and talk to me again, seriously, it'd be fun
Old 06-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #254
davidmacq
Bored Member

Chris R is right.

You'd be stupid to think grooves alone would make an noticeable difference. Changing the compression ratio, boost or advance and getting more hp would prove what exactly?

'no, dude, you can do that cuz of the grooves! They let you do it!'

I think doing all of that to convince you would be a fools errand. Sounds right up your alley though. Maybe you should take that up. Pronto. haha

Your being a tool again. lol.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #255
745 TurboGreasel
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesDustyVolvo
How am I being a tool?
Here is how you are being a tool...

If you took the time to read the first post in this thread, you would see a link to another page. The first thing you see on this other page is
du dun dun...

Dyno Results

but you probaly have a hard time wi
th that....
No I am not gonna post a link for your lazy ass.

Feedback

Old 06-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #256
PetesDustyVolvo
one car, two bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel
Dyno Results
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange web page
ARAI Engine Development Lab performed Dyno testing on a 149cc Briggs & Stratton gasoline engine as part of our research efforts.
I've seen this before

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange web page
149cc Briggs & Stratton
Old 06-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #257
davidmacq
Bored Member

Nah, the dude probably fixed his valve seals or did something. He shoulda did it without changing anything else on the engine. Or did it on a brand new engine. Then it would be empirical. /pete LOL

Wrong results
http://somender-singh.com/content/view/101/37/
Old 06-26-2006, 04:30 PM   #258
stylngle2003
Board Member

if you guys read on the chevy dyno crap, he bumped the compression a full 1.2 points, and put grooves in the intake valves too

so, it's not fair to say that it makes that much power from the chamber grooves alone
1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2WD (hauls ass)
1990 Mazda Miata (track toy)
Old 06-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #259
JW240
All idiot, no savant

i have been thinking of doing this with a B&s flathead, the big flathead begs for grooves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #260
PetesDustyVolvo
one car, two bicycles

someone splain this bit to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240
i have been thinking of doing this with a B&s flathead, the big flathead begs for grooves...
why, cuz it cant get any slower?
Old 06-26-2006, 04:36 PM   #261
740ATL

squishy squirty grooves
flammable interrupters
flames of fire with glee

Old 06-26-2006, 04:36 PM   #262
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:

why, cuz it cant get any slower?
indeed. cant get any worse than it already is
Old 06-26-2006, 04:40 PM   #263
davidmacq
Bored Member

That intake you posted has power lynz which I've been talking about. More surface area to allow fuel to wick off of.

Also see dyno won't satisfy you either.

Face it dude, it's an mpg mod, with a little performance potential.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:43 PM   #264
PetesDustyVolvo
one car, two bicycles

Quote:
Might as well remove the big briggs pic.

That intake you posted has power lynz which I've been talking about. More surface area to allow fuel to wick off of.

Also see dyno won't satisfy you either.

Face it dude, it's an mpg mod, with a little performance potential.
i've got an idea, why don't you just put a brick under your throttle
Old 06-26-2006, 04:44 PM   #265
davidmacq
Bored Member

Sure put bricks in a brick and drive around. Good idea. Next you'll tell me to go on a diet.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #266
PetesDustyVolvo
one car, two bicycles

Quote:
Sure put bricks in a brick and drive around. Good idea. Next you'll tell me to go on a diet.
sometimes its hard to be a nice guy
Old 06-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #267
Les, slight limp
Board Member

Quote:
you guys should read up on EFI and tuning for a few months and then come back and talk to me again, seriously, it'd be fun
Why don't you start a proper thread about it, i wouldn't mind learning about efi from you, and the other tuning guru's, although i have a sneaking suspicion that things are still the same today as they were 30 years ago in my youth, how olds the volvo ohc again, and petrol is still the fuel and it's lit by a spark plug lol, i didn't know your engine had dropped dead on you, no wonder you've got a bad atitude.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #268
PetesDustyVolvo
one car, two bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les, slight limp
Why don't you start a proper thread about it, i wouldn't mind learning about efi from you, and the other tuning guru's, although i have a sneaking suspicion that things are still the same today as they were 30 years ago in my youth, how olds the volvo ohc again, and petrol is still the fuel and it's lit by a spark plug lol, i didn't know your engine had dropped dead on you, no wonder you've got a bad atitude.
It dropped dead on me because it got hit with ~30 psi of boost. Something you've never done and never will do.

And no, its nothing like it was when you were a kid. And no, I wont teach you **** because its all out there already for free.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:58 PM   #269
davidmacq
Bored Member

hmmm, maybe if there were grooves in your head when you...oh wait, nevermind. lol
Old 06-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #270
MetalgodZ
Bored Member

Ummm....cleanup, aisle 3?

Can we get somebody to clean what USED to be an informative thread up, maybe split it into one off-topic where people who want to argue, wave e-wangs, and personally insult each other can do so without detracting from a useful thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon
This is like Zip-Ties and JB Weld for the legal system.

-'79 242 - Rusting
-'91 940 SE - Damn you, crippled power seats!
-'92 745 - Crippled DD
-'90 760ti - Crippled DD - Thanks, AAA!
Old 06-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #271
Les, slight limp
Board Member

I'm sorry you prat but it's exactly the same, correct fuel + correct spark = correct power, as if a no nothing snot like you could teach anyone anything, your all the same you internet experts, all we get is go and read up and you'll be as good as me, i was being sarcastic you computer nerd, you can't even tell if a heads knackered.

I'm not stupid enough to put 30psi through a redblock with stock internals.

Your right metalgod, it's bad enough getting anyone to take me seriously as a disabled person, i get a bit ticked when someone calls me a bs.

Last edited by Les, slight limp; 06-26-2006 at 05:16 PM..
Old 06-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #272
PetesDustyVolvo
one car, two bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les, slight limp
I'm sorry you prat but it's exactly the same, correct fuel + correct spark = correct power, as if a no nothing snot like you could teach anyone anything, your all the same you internet experts, all we get is go and read up and you'll be as good as me, i was being sarcastic you computer nerd, you can't even tell if a heads knackered.

you're right... nothing has changed in 30 years.... huh? wideband? what? maybe you dont hear so good anymore

nah i just know when the head is partially knackered and ripe for an experiment

on the other hand you seem to excel at knackering perfectly good heads... er i mean, making them into M-cam enhancers
Old 06-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #273
suterman
Board Member

c'mon les, dont get upset, there are bound to be doubters, let them doubt. You and I know It allows for high gear trundling/better low end torque, those that havn't tried it can't say for sure one way or another.

I'm gonna work a 531 over for the 240 and groove it because I've seen it work, its difficult for somone who hasn't seen it to commit to that.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:03 PM   #274
automotivebreath
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgod_Z
Ummm....cleanup, aisle 3?

Can we get somebody to clean what USED to be an informative thread up, maybe split it into one off-topic where people who want to argue, wave e-wangs, and personally insult each other can do so without detracting from a useful thread?
Quote:
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

“Never argue with a fool - people might not know the difference.”
Old 06-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #275
PetesDustyVolvo
one car, two bicycles

you guys should either

A) grow some balls and try something cool

or

B) shut the **** up, buy a honda and put a brick under the throttle
Closed Thread