• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(formerly) The $700 1988 245

No fighting in my thread. The only person here you're welcome to insult is me.

And yeah, this body is trashed now. Frame rail, subframe, strut tower, all bent. Steering column got pushed in, floor got bashed in behind the pedals, etc. The car did its job and did all the squishing so my face didn't have to, which is something my Ford won't do for me. It's a good thing I got hit on that side too, the passenger frame rail has a fist size rust hole. (I think there's a pic several pages back.) Not to mention the gaping rocker holes.

This car was a $700 winter beater that I used to learn what I now know about cars and how to drive like a maniac. (****in miracle I never wrapped it around a tree.) A ton of fun while it lasted, but now it's time to harvest what I can and make an even better car.

Last edited:
Just went through this entire thread. You got really close and personal with this car. Too bad about the accident but as you say the Volvo saved your life and that is what counts. Glad you're OK.

At the end of the day, its just a car... There are plenty more Volvo's for the op to molest and I'm pretty sure he will. :-P

No fighting in my thread. The only person here you're welcome to insult is me.

And yeah, this body is trashed now. Frame rail, subframe, strut tower, all bent. Steering column got pushed in, floor got bashed in behind the pedals, etc. The car did its job and did all the squishing so my face didn't have to, which is something my Ford won't do for me. It's a good thing I got hit on that side too, the passenger frame rail has a fist size rust hole. (I think there's a pic several pages back.) Not to mention the gaping rocker holes.

This car was a $700 winter beater that I used to learn what I now know about cars and how to drive like a maniac. (****in miracle I never wrapped it around a tree.) A ton of fun while it lasted, but now it's time to harvest what I can and make an even better car.

Many nice cars left that will live on with the parts harvested!

Just went through this entire thread. You got really close and personal with this car. Too bad about the accident but as you say the Volvo saved your life and that is what counts. Glad you're OK.

You are right here, as always. Glad we have someone who can always find the positive in something on this board.

Op, good luck in your search for another.

Op, good luck in your search for another.

Oh, guess I should introduce the "new turbo" to this thread. My 1982 244GL Diesels motor blew up a couple weeks or so before the crash, so that's where the turbo motor is going. Interior is mint and it looks nice from a distance, but its got enough rust and craptastic bondo that I won't feel bad about driving it in the winter. 152k on it. My plan is to swap over the engine and suspension stuff as-is then continue where I left off in terms of upgrades.

SfYhdOSh.jpg

It's gonna be a little bit faster than it used to be once I'm done with it. Stock 0-60 is 19 seconds with the diesel.

BTW, anyone know what the axle ratio for an automatic diesel would've been?

Oh, guess I should introduce the "new turbo" to this thread. My 1982 244GL Diesels motor blew up a couple weeks or so before the crash, so that's where the turbo motor is going. Interior is mint and it looks nice from a distance, but its got enough rust and craptastic bondo that I won't feel bad about driving it in the winter. 152k on it. My plan is to swap over the engine and suspension stuff as-is then continue where I left off in terms o

It's gonna be a little bit faster than it used to be once I'm done with it. Stock 0-60 is 19 seconds with the diesel.

BTW, anyone know what the axle ratio for an automatic diesel would've been?

That?s the best kind of beater, one you don?t have to stress about!

You know, that COULD be saved. But the cost to pull and repair that frame rail is far beyond the value of pretty much any Volvo wagon here. I know if my car was hit that hard that I wouldn't repair it, and mine is rust free.

Yeah, if this was 1988 or so, then, it might be worth fixing. My old '83 245T apparently had similar damage on the passenger side sometime between 1983 and 1997. It was repaired by a body shop, but not well. To get the front bumper to line up, I had to first put the bumper shock bolt in, then insert the shock until it touched the bolt.

LZctSsDh.jpg

Nf9agBWh.jpg

9wkEMarh.jpg

kTH1cqth.jpg

kYAaUnKh.jpg

Couldn't find a crank to AC belt so I got a bit creative..

The oil pan is a bit bashed but it should be fine. The AC isn't lined up correctly (I attempted to straighten the brackets) which is why I'm able to use a big belt. I'll have to fix that and get correct belts before I charge it.

I would imagine that the belt will slip on the A/C compressor. It doesn't look like it has enough wrap.

But good work! You should be back in action soon.

So Camry girl didn't lie about hitting me, but she claimed that she successfully pulled out and then got hit by the Honda.

Dashcam FTW.

Dude I?m just now seeing this. It?s always a ****ing Camry.

I?ve watched the video like 3 times now and it still doesn?t make sense to me. Looks like 2 cars were coming the opposite direction and the Camry was attempting to make a right. After the first car passed, looks like the Camry just floored it and ran into the side of the accord:e-shrug:

So, small update. I discovered that the adapter and banjo on the turbo oil feed were totally loose. :omg: And all the driveshaft bolts. All of em.

Tested my rust skills on the battery tray which I might not even use.

plUN748h.jpg

bvA5Trth.jpg

Current problem is that I can't get the pedal box out of the wagon. I undid all the bolts and linkages and got it to move a little but no more. Do I have to drop the column or something?

Also I'm outta zipties...

RE: Pedal Box -
There are 2 bolts above/forward the brake pedal that hold a bracket and bushing to the steering column that need to be removed. Reference below pic, courtesy of Arn02.
Fiited the brake pedal and tossed the clutch.

2yypldu.jpg

New fuel pump. Looks like the diesel still includes a wire for it so I shouldn't have to run one, but I'll have to do wires for the speedo. Looks like I can use the diesel lines under the car too. Might have to shorten the tube cause I can't get it to seat all the way into the tank. Also gotta put a filter in somewhere. Heatshrink in the tank a good idea?

UuNDXAOh.jpg

Back