• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Door air vents

Fa182

Stage 1
Stupid question, but should these vents be blowing air? They don't in my 940 and all other vents are blowing fine so I'm wondering what's wrong. Didn't find any info about them.

Attachments

• IMG_1894-1.JPG
    IMG_1894-1.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 89
I think those only blow in defrost mode - it forces air along the windshield and those vents to clear the window so you can see your mirrors.

I could be wrong - 960s don't have those so I can't test it...

I have tried every possible way on the heater controls but nothing. I have the manual controls without AC. Maybe they just don't blow at all with that control unit?

3.jpg

Close the center vents, turn the knob to defrost, crank the fan up and you should feel some air comming through them. It’s not going to be a hurricane through those vents.

Yeah, they just need the faintest amount of outside temp air flowing over the glass to clear the fog off the window.

When you open the door you’ll see the rubber tube in the dash that connects to the door panel, might want to make sure it’s intact and properly seated.

Okay then so there's definitely something wrong I suppose. There's not even a tiny bit of air coming out.

Just to be sure, by defrost mode you mean just how the switch is positioned in the photo of the unit above, right?

Yeah, there's no air coming out of tubes in the pillar, gonna have a look.

Thanks all for your help.

Yeah, there's no air coming out of tubes in the pillar, gonna have a look.

Thanks all for your help.

Are you getting air from the vents along the windshield? It could very be that the vacuum bellows that should be controlling the flap to divert the air to the defrost vents is bad. If that?s bad then the flapper can?t move. Do you hear any kind of vacuum leak when in defrost mode? (Although the sound of the blower motor will likely mask the sound of a leak)

I think those only blow in defrost mode - it forces air along the windshield and those vents to clear the window so you can see your mirrors.

I could be wrong - 960s don't have those so I can't test it...

960 has those, they are part of the dash instead of the doors.

Are you getting air from the vents along the windshield? It could very be that the vacuum bellows that should be controlling the flap to divert the air to the defrost vents is bad. If that?s bad then the flapper can?t move. Do you hear any kind of vacuum leak when in defrost mode? (Although the sound of the blower motor will likely mask the sound of a leak)

Yeah the windshied vents are blowing fine. I do not hear any kind of leaks, but the blower motor is a bit noisy.
What?s also a bit weird I think is that the dash vents are always blowing, regardless of the position of the switch. Is this normal? The switch does move the cables and the lever under the dash, I already had a look at that.

The car blows air strong and heats fine, so not a big problem in general, but there seems to be something wrong I guess.

Yeah the windshied vents are blowing fine. I do not hear any kind of leaks, but the blower motor is a bit noisy.
What?s also a bit weird I think is that the dash vents are always blowing, regardless of the position of the switch. Is this normal? The switch does move the cables and the lever under the dash, I already had a look at that.

The car blows air strong and heats fine, so not a big problem in general, but there seems to be something wrong I guess.

I don't know anything about the air diverter box in the 940s, but it definitely sounds like a flapper issue. Do the dash vents blow even in defrost mode? If so then that's likely why you're not getting any pressure to the door vents...

I don't know anything about the air diverter box in the 940s, but it definitely sounds like a flapper issue. Do the dash vents blow even in defrost mode? If so then that's likely why you're not getting any pressure to the door vents...

Yes, they always blow in all 4 positions. Tried closing all dash vents today, but still no air out of window vents. So I guess I have to dig into the diverter box.

Just to follow up on this in case anyone has the same problem, I finally had a look at this and fixed it.

The clip on the diverter box for one of the two cables that go from the knob to the flappers broke, so the cable was quite loose and couldn't push the flap into the furthest position, which is to route air to the door vents. Attached it again with some zip ties and now the vents blow air.

Thanks to all for the help.

Back