• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

H or K cam on B23E?

Is the users manual official enough,
or maybe the green and white volvo sevice books?
but i know that cars made for some other markets had lower compression engines and didn`t need 98

But the 1979-1980 b23E ,in eurospec is an 98octane engine, of course they will run on 95oct to but you`ll have to lower the ignition and will lose power

of course, that is enough. ;-) i am just asked..

You'll need more fuel than the B200E K-Jet can supply for a mod'ed B23E on K-Jet. The B23E can easily hit 135-140 hp with K or H cam, high comp, bigger displacement than the B200e, and the K-Jet parts won't support that kind of HP.

The B23E K-Jet uses a different fuel dist and air flow metering plate, as well as diff WUR/CPR. The parts are equivalent to the B21FT K-jet parts, and both motors support similar hp, so you could use one of them, but you will need to do something, the 200e K-Jets is too small.:omg:
and how about fuel dist and air flow metering plate from B21E ?! i have them.. and what is diff WUR/CPR?

2nd question-lets forget about tuned B23E .. so now i have only stock B23E, ok? question is: can i insert it to the B200E k jet car? will it run properly?
(do i understand it correctly that only for a tuned/moded B23E do i need those parts from B21FT?!) i hope u understand me well..

I know this goes against 'conventional wisdom', but it's entirely from first hand experience and I reckon I've owned and driven more K & H cammed cars than most...

The K DOES idle better - not massively, but noticably.
The K pulls better from the bottom and at very light throttle openings.
The H pulls harder in the very top end.

There's not a lot in it, but in a road car, I'd go for the K every time - IMO, the H's advantage isn't enough to outweigh its disadvantages.

And what Forg said about H's only coming in GTs.

Here in Aus yes, we didn't get the GLT here at that point...GLT is basically GT spec mechanically from some of the paperwork I've got...it and the GT were the only two sold with t he B23 when it was first released, and all of the early B23s had the H cam.
Then they put it in lesser models with a lesser cam...

From running my GT with H and the wagon with K back to back...yeah, slightly better idle on a K but not much.
K pulls better low down for sure but neither of them have an awful lot of urge under 2500...
H has a bit more top end but I hardly ever take either past 5k anyhow so not much difference there.
K is certainly better for idling around car parks.
For a daily I think the K is slightly ahead, but it ain't huge and either is quite streetable and will idle fine if the K-Jet is working right.
Not worth changing just for the idle...and the H has better top end anyhow so I'd be looking for what's making it idle rough and leave the H cam in it.
If you turbo it then the H is quite saleable......and drop in a turbo cam.

and how about fuel dist and air flow metering plate from B21E ?! i have them.. and what is diff WUR/CPR?

2nd question-lets forget about tuned B23E .. so now i have only stock B23E, ok? question is: can i insert it to the B200E k jet car? will it run properly?
(do i understand it correctly that only for a tuned/moded B23E do i need those parts from B21FT?!) i hope u understand me well..

I've not seen a B21e air flow plate but the B21F is quite small compared to the stock B23E air flow plate which is the same size as the B21FT but has a different slope in the bowl. B23e uses a bigger throttle body and rubber boot to accomodate the larger bowl.

The Warm Up Regulator also known as the Control Pressure Regulator controls the fuel pressure to the injectos through orifices in the fuel distributor. The lower the control pressure, the more fuel is provided and the WUR provides this fuel control. They are not (easilly) adjustable, so selecting one that is matched to the engine is important. There are aftermarket valves that are adjustable, like UT-CIS. The orifices in the fuel dist are also carefully selected for engine fuel flow. If you change the cam this needs to be considered, as the adjustment of the fuel system is not very much. If you have the Lambda system then there's a bit more adjustability.

Each 'set' of K-Jet parts is made speciffically for each engine's flow especially for head and cam flow. You want to get all the parts for a B23e, but the parts for a B21FT will work, also, and can deliver a bit more fuel than the stock B23e A/F plate and fuel dist.

Since the B200e and B21e/f are smaller displacement, they will flow less, and would expect the B23e engine to run very lean if those parts are used.

I swapped a lot of B200E's (K jet uk spec) for B21 engine and B230 engines and all have fueled perfectly with the original K jet with only minor tweaks.

On a Lambda car with K-cam you'll get a nicer idle if you put it in the open loop @idle. Doable with an extra switch that detects closed throttle. Cam timing gear also helps to dial it in right.

The best cam for money is the A cam. I have run it in both NA and turbo with good results.
D cam is the worst. Just don't think H or even K is worth it. Same for V or VX.
A cam usually cheap and from either B21A or B200E and Canadian B23E.
Currently run IPD turbo cam which is similar to A cam but with more lift.

On a Lambda car with K-cam you'll get a nicer idle if you put it in the open loop @idle. Doable with an extra switch that detects closed throttle. Cam timing gear also helps to dial it in right.

I don't believe volvo ever sold a car with a k cam and a lambda system did they? They didn't here anyway. Maybe theres a reason for that. I like the K cam, a B23E still has torque as long as you are over 2000 and it still pulls to 6500, I haven't dared take mine much further than that anyway..

In a B23E, I wouldn't bother running any OEM cams other than the K or H cam that came with them. An aftermarket cam like the KG8 might be fun though.

hey fellazzz.. my B23E came with A cam :) but i also have B21E with D cam.. so im just aksing if i should use D Cam? or should i look for another cam? i just want to tune my engine. but how?

Hi
Ihavent been here for a while.
I tried all of them in the B23 with K-jet. Result: K good in high refs, bit slack middle. V: better in middle no difference in high VX3: much smoother better middle and plenty in high refs. so for me it would be the VX3 to give the best all round result. The 98 octane fuel is a problem here to get, so I limitted the travel of the advance of the dizzy from 20 deg to 8 deg. By that I still have decent idle without pinging all the time. If someone is interested, I will sell the whole K-jet stuff + complete running B23 E Engine 30 tsd miles since complete overhaul (new pistons etc.)

Back