• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Converse Kit from 940 to v90

fiatstud

Hello, I just bought a 93 940 with a converse kit. It has the 302 with a tremec 5spd.

I also just bought a very clean 1998 v90 with a broken transmission.

I know the 302 engine from the 940 should just bolt in with the kit but how about the driveshaft? Im thinking Ill need to have a custom one made. Any thoughts or issues you wise folks foresee in my future? Any help or comments would be great. Thank you

-Matt

The V90 has a CV joint instead of the rear U-joint and the flange on the diff is 6 bolts instead of 4. You will need a custom shaft.

Or you can put a 4 bolt flange from a solid axle on the IRS diff, but you will need to take it apart and put a new crush sleeve in to get the pinion depth right. Volvo had a bulletin on how to do it without replacing the crush sleeve by torquing it to a certain spec but when I tried the diff failed 10K later. I suspect the bulletin was written for newer cars, not 20 year old ones with over 200K on them.

sbabbs,

WOW thank you. I just did what you said and lo and behold no custom driveshaft needed. The only thing I ran into was the transmission mount not lining up perfectly with the threaded holes in the v90. Any suggestions there? Thanks again.

OTher option is the opposite of drilling holes in the mount, drill holes in the frame rail, then drill hole on the outside of frame rail big enough to get a box wrench in the hole with nut on it. I'd drill the mount first if possible, cause easier.

OTher option is the opposite of drilling holes in the mount, drill holes in the frame rail, then drill hole on the outside of frame rail big enough to get a box wrench in the hole with nut on it. I'd drill the mount first if possible, cause easier.

or use riv-nuts. That's what I did on my 242 rails to use a late model crossmember and avoid cutting big access holes.

Many options is more options in my mind. Maybe he doesn't know what riv-nuts are like I don't and lives in the boonies and can't get any. Whatever you do don't esplain what they are or how they work, cause that would be way too cool...

Riv-nuts are great...'til you have to remove them,my experience has been spin city.Unless you can punch a hex shaped hole (for the hex shaped riv-nuts),which is mostly unlikely.

Back