• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 - Fuel pumps dont shut off

15A

World's Oldest Brewery
Got a buddy of mine who bought a cream puff 1990 240 - 44k original miles, little old lady owned, garage kept, etc. Only issue it has is that when he turns the key on, the fuel pumps cycle on but continue to run. He replaced the fuel relay and the pink labeled ECU with a white label 951. Cars runs fine but the pumps do not cycle then shut off - they continue to run.

Any other ideas?

Time to have a good look at what is going on with wiring that the relays are staying on.

You've not seen a HUGE Car-Be-Que until you've seen one that is fed by fuel pumps that continue to run after the engine has been turned off.

Start at the relays..... Unplugged.... Pumps stop?

I know the fuel relays are 2 sided - one has the cycle on (prime?) - then it runs continually when the car is started. I would have bet the farm it was that relay (had this same thing happen to mine last Fall) or the pink labeled ECU.

When he puts the car in the run position (not started), the pumps run.....then keep running. He can start the car and it runs great. Shut it off, the pumps stop. But in the run/acc position, the pumps run continually. The woman he bought this from is 87 and sold it only because she can't drive anymore. Car was religiously maintained at the local dealer since new and was garage kept. He believes it had sat for a couple years before he bought it.

I'm going to ask him about starting it then unplugging the relay. He's 8hrs from me or I'd be all over that thing with a DVOM.

Update: My buddy pulled the fuse cover off and found that some boob at the DEALERSHIP (only 2 places it was serviced since new was the dealership in Nashville and some local "Volvo only" service shop), hot wired the pumps to the ignition. Apparently the pink labeled ECU was failing so they hot wired the pumps. With his original ECU and the jumper removed, they were intermittent. He installed a white label 951 and everything cycles and runs like a top.

I would think there'd be a way to put the idiot who hot wired it on the spot, but there's no telling when they did it.

UFB.

I've seen this problem before. Fuel pump trigger circuit goes bad in the ECU, someone hot wires the pumps to avoid replacing said ECU. My car had a similar kludge done to it before I bought it.

Update: My buddy pulled the fuse cover off and found that some boob at the DEALERSHIP (only 2 places it was serviced since new was the dealership in Nashville and some local "Volvo only" service shop), hot wired the pumps to the ignition. Apparently the pink labeled ECU was failing so they hot wired the pumps. With his original ECU and the jumper removed, they were intermittent. He installed a white label 951 and everything cycles and runs like a top.
I would think there'd be a way to put the idiot who hot wired it on the spot, but there's no telling when they did it. UFB.

sheeesh....:wtf:....there's NO STOPPING some folks in their headlong rush to self
immolate...too bad they often have the ability to PASS THAT STUPIDITY ON to
*UNSUSPECTING INNOCENTS*....damn....:grrr:

I've seen cobbling "certified mechanics" many times - one that came to mind was when my parents bought a new Oldsmobile in the late 80s....just after the lemon law was passed. Car was in the shop 14 times the first 2 months due to an electronic lock up torque converter problem. The dealership was on their last chance before buying the car back when the problem was "fixed'. About 8 months later I was replacing a headlamp and grille (mom hit a large bird - lol) and found their textbook fix: they unplugged it.

But what bugs me about this jumper is that it negates the safety features. If the PO (or my friend) would have been in a wreck and those pumps kept pumping, things could have gotten beyond ugly and somebody worse than dead.

If only this were the only time we'd seen or heard of such things!

I've got a Lexus here....... Seems that ole Elroy hooked them jumper cables up bakwards! Blew just how many fuses? Yes; that would be a hand full. Guess that it is a very good thing that those circuits are fused! The TV set in the middle of the Dash works after replacing that fuse. The radio came to life. The Alternator works....... Elroy had already figgered that one out and installed a handy-dandy cotter pin in place of the 140 amp fuse :omg: that blew. Think that things may have been pretty exciting for just a moment when Elroy hooked them jumper cables up backwards? :roll:

Ugh!

I have to laugh though........ Seems that the bank couldn't figure out the 'Electrical problems' and thus this fellow got the car for a screaming deal. Damned lucky for him that it is proving to be so easy! :roll: That touch-screen that does the Nav and all that BS in the dash and the rest of everything that didn't work....... :omg:

I've seen cobbling "certified mechanics" many times - one that came to mind was when my parents bought a new Oldsmobile in the late 80s....just after the lemon law was passed. Car was in the shop 14 times the first 2 months due to an electronic lock up torque converter problem. The dealership was on their last chance before buying the car back when the problem was "fixed'. About 8 months later I was replacing a headlamp and grille (mom hit a large bird - lol) and found their textbook fix: they unplugged it.

But what bugs me about this jumper is that it negates the safety features. If the PO (or my friend) would have been in a wreck and those pumps kept pumping, things could have gotten beyond ugly and somebody worse than dead.

That was the best fix on those cars. I got 2 for free because they didn't want to fix the trans. Damn things would stay locked and pull through the brakes at intersections or stall the car and prevent restart. Unplug and it's fixed for good. Yeah, not the most complicated fix, but it's better than replacing **** that doesn't work for **** that doesn't work again in a month or 2.
The Pontiac lived to see 260k miles, all on the original trans with the converter unplugged.

I'm experiencing this exact same issue. Only I've owned my car for 7 years, and it's just started doing this in the last couple of months.

I turn the key on, and i can hear the fuel pump ran and run and run.

I replaced the Fuel Pump Relay because it was failing 3 years ago, but nothing else has been touched since then.

Where should I start looking to fix this problem?

OP, I don't mean to jack your thread, just figured your problem was solved and I didn't want too start another thread on the exact same issue.

Check the ECU - that was this car's original root issue. I'm assuming yours is an 89+ (LH2.4)?

If so, check to see if your ECU has a pink label - if so, you've likely found your problem. Replace it with a later white labeled 951.

Check the ECU - that was this car's original root issue. I'm assuming yours is an 89+ (LH2.4)?

If so, check to see if your ECU has a pink label - if so, you've likely found your problem. Replace it with a later white labeled 951.

Okay, I'll take a look and see what I have. Thanks

It's a '92 240. Before I go out and tear through the car in this cold weather, where might I find the ECU?

Last edited:
Is it an auto or 5spd? If 5spd, you could have 3.1.

And FWIW, I think anything as late as 92 would already have a 951.

Last edited:
Back