• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Jumpy Idle - Intermittent

Inc3pt

Hey guys,

1983 242 Turbo in sig. I can go over mods if somebody deems necessary.

For the entire time that I've owned this 240, it's idled great. It has a B230 manifold, but all of the original idle stuff is preserved and functions fine. A little rough from the K cam, but it idles on it's own while cold and doesn't need to be pedaled at all, and the idle comes down to 900 or so when it warms up.

This past Saturday, I popped the hood and did two things only:

1) Replaced the boost controller vacuum lines. I have verified they're all secure and not leaking. I didn't touch any vacuum lines on the intake side of the car since the signal line comes from a fitting on the compressor housing.

2) Repaired the wire connectors at the ballast resistor (also on the passenger side of the car).

Immediately after I did that stuff, it's acting up at idle. It does one of these three things while idling now:

1) Idles fine.

2) Jumpy, but almost dies/catches itself. So it will be at 900, fall to almost dead, then rev to catch itself, return to 900 and repeat.

3) Jumpy, but it will sit a bit high at ~1200, then randomly rev to ~1700 really fast and come back down.

I can't find a consistent pattern to any of it. It does it hot and cold, and sometimes it's completely fine. This leads me to believe there could be a couple culprits:

1) Idle motor is dying?

2) Crusty wiring somehow decided to rear it's ugly head. The motor has a good wiring harness, but obviously that doesn't mean it's perfect.

I suppose it could act like this as well if there were some odd intake leak but it doesn't seem consistent enough to act like this. Anyway, I know how to diagnose the above, but I don't have straight access to another idle motor or anything so the reason I'm making this thread is to see if anybody has seen these symptoms and what the problem is. It would just make life a little simpler if somebody was like "Oh yeah, sounds just like _________" and then I could start there.

Thanks all! :hyper:

I don't think it is a vacuum leak because like you said, it does not happen all the time. I think it is an issue with the injectors. Is it possible that the resistor pack got mess up when you where working on the wiring? It sounds like the injectors are having issue with keeping the timing right.

I don't think it is a vacuum leak because like you said, it does not happen all the time. I think it is an issue with the injectors. Is it possible that the resistor pack got mess up when you where working on the wiring? It sounds like the injectors are having issue with keeping the timing right.

It's K-Jetronic :)

Could the oxygen sensor dying have anything to do with this? I can't remember exactly when and how the oxygen sensor data is used.

Same thing here. But it will idle fine and I can hear it fixing itself( adjusting mixture). It will idle fine then I hear it adjust mixture, repeat. I too thought the idle motor was going dead until I jumped it at the computer and started the car, revved straight to 2500 just what the book said. I am interested as to what it could be.

I checked voltage of the o2 sensor when hot and read a steady .4873638 something-.39

Same thing here. But it will idle fine and I can hear it fixing itself( adjusting mixture). It will idle fine then I hear it adjust mixture, repeat. I too thought the idle motor was going dead until I jumped it at the computer and started the car, revved straight to 2500 just what the book said. I am interested as to what it could be.

What the book said? Can you explain more for me? :nod:

Do you have a wideband hooked up?

Is the idle motor clean?

No wideband hooked up to this car yet, but probably in the next few weeks I can get it installed.

As for the idle motor being clean, I haven't checked yet, but I'll pull it off later today and have a look!

Edit: I should note that the changes in idle are very abrupt and randomly timed. It's not similar to how a car acts when the mixture is fluctuating back and forth and the idle oscillates. I'm hoping to get video of the tach next time it does it.

Last edited:
Hells yeah Kjet for "real" mechanics!!!

The book tells you which terminals to jump to tell the IAC to go wide open and idle jumps to 2600 if wide open. This way you can test the circuit for faults and the motor at the same time. I can check which terminals in my book when I get home.

I don't have Kjet, but my car did the EXACT same thing and I tried a few things before swapping the idle control motor and that fixed it 100%.

Adam

I don't have Kjet, but my car did the EXACT same thing and I tried a few things before swapping the idle control motor and that fixed it 100%.

Adam

I will probably start hunting for a known-good idle motor but it might take me a week or two. :)

What's the part # on yours? Is it the same as on LH cars?

Adam

I don't think the idle motor is the same, but I can't have a look at the park number with it mounted up on my car at the moment. I should be able to pull it off after work and have a peek.

Hey guys, I managed to get at least a few seconds of youtube video to show the three situations.

FYI, I have quite a few rattles that I haven't gone after, so don't pay attention to any sort of rattley or weird noises.

1) Idles fine.
(This is what I consider pretty much normal)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcZciDYKigQ

2) Jumpy, but almost dies/catches itself. So it will be at 900, fall to almost dead, then rev to catch itself, return to 900 and repeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9GXP3LvSXM

3) Jumpy, but it will sit a bit high at ~1200, then randomly rev to ~1700 really fast and come back down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELrptJG66SI

Note: In all three videos, my foot never touched the gas pedal.

Funky funky.

First step is to pull the idle motor out and clean the bitch. If it still acts up after that, it may be a wiring issue or something else, but definitely start with the easy: pull and clean. Also cleaning the throttle body doesn't hurt while you're in the cleaning mode.

Is this the large CIS motor used on the earlier K-Jet cars, or the small one used on the later K-Jet cars and LH-Jet cars? The high idle issue seems to make me think the latter, but, dunno. On the K-Jet 240's, I usually run the large -500 motor, instead of the small -501 or -520 motor. Idle seems steadier with it.

So, maybe try one of those and see if it works better.

-J

Back