• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C '01 V70 T-5 autotragic crash course, please!

nordmaschine

forced instruction
Went full retard tonight and bought an '01 V70 T-5 autotragic. Never ever had a Wrong Wheel Drive Volvo and intended for it to stay that way, plus I hate whiteblocks but hey, the car was dirt cheap and good, apart from the autotragic which was advertised as dead.

It's a US car, with MPH cluster and stuff.

Car starts, works fine in P and N, engages R just fine and drives in reverse, but in D it appears to be stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. I managed to drive it home (~20 minutes) and while having a hard time from a stop (obviously, being in high gear), it acts fine when it gets up to some speed, I even managed to get it to a lower gear once, in manual mode, but it usually doesn't react on +/- inputs, and shifter itself flops freely between D and Manual, probably broken plastic retainer, say the intrawebs. While driving, I think it shifted (say from 3rd to 4th and back) once or twice, without jerking and usual things related to dead trans.

My question...what could it be? From what I've read up, '01 autoboxes are plain bad, but it doesn't appear to have hard engagement, nor is it loosing drive, as they do in all "bad trans" threads I've come across.

I intend to hook it to a diagnostic first thing tomorrow or when I get any free time, as it's full of error messages and check engine lights anyway, but some guidelines would be great, as I'm a total noob in all things WWD Volvo...

Sounds like it could be stuck in winter mode. That prevents it from going into lower gears to help you start in the snow.

Push the W button and see if anything changes.
pg136.jpg

Last edited:
Have you checked the condition of the transmission fluid yet?

Any chance the car is in some kind of limp home mode? Does the message center have any nasty messages in it?

Back