home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #551
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Gotcha, good to know. It helped the M56 noise in the R as well, but not nearly as much when warmed up. I have noticed mine is a little notchy the first run thru the gears until fluid is moving, even with RL high temp ATF (actual Dex3 spec, not the generic spec available most places). Switching from the generic to the RL really quieted things down a good bit, though it's still loud.

Nobody cares about your excuses Harlard.
Mick Starkey aka TrickMick 1/10/14

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #552
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Sad I'll miss it

Drive it to IPD?
I wanted to, but my fiance is graduating her master's program the same weekend as IPD.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #553
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewrench View Post
Very nice and detailed work, and well thought out - want to move to the east coast and work in my shop?
Thanks! If the cost of living here in CA gets much worse, I may have to take you up on that.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:39 AM   #554
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
Quick update because I finished the fuel system upgrade.

I have a 50 GPH (At 15 psi. It will be operating at zero, so it should flow more.) Facet pump that will feed the surge tank.

The lines all pass through the floor via -6 bulkhead fittings. They're all 5/16 on the underside of the car.

The tank is mounted above the axle in the trunk, and I made -6 lines for it. I made a bracket that hold the tank and the OEM fuel filter.

That's it for now. Now to fix the intake manifold.
Looks great. Still deciding on what pump to use to feed my surge tank. Was also wondering how this should be plumbed. Your pics have been extremely helpful!

The build is looking great as always!

Thanks!
HUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #555
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
I had some generic dex/merc in my T5, and then added about .4 quarts of the stabilizer. It seemed to help the noise, but mostly just while it's cold. When it warms up it's still pretty loud. It definitely adversely affected shifting. I'd be hesitant to use it again for noise.
For the record I finished installing the vibration dampener Aerostar slip joint on my car and it actually made quite the difference, It is much more quiet around town, and less buzzy when off throttle. I bought this one from Evil bay, mine is a spicer/Ford branded unit

Be aware, this yoke requires a 1310 U joint, but there is a 1310 to 1330 U joint

https://www.ebay.com/p/OEM-Ford-Fron...9702587&chn=ps

Killer work as always, and knuckle down because Davis is rapidly approaching and I am going to specifically see this car (and maybe catch a ride in it )

Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #556
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Awesome update Chris, glad that yoke helped on yours as well.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:41 PM   #557
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post
For the record I finished installing the vibration dampener Aerostar slip joint on my car and it actually made quite the difference, It is much more quiet around town, and less buzzy when off throttle. I bought this one from Evil bay, mine is a spicer/Ford branded unit

Be aware, this yoke requires a 1310 U joint, but there is a 1310 to 1330 U joint

https://www.ebay.com/p/OEM-Ford-Fron...9702587&chn=ps

Killer work as always, and knuckle down because Davis is rapidly approaching and I am going to specifically see this car (and maybe catch a ride in it )
Oh, that's good to hear. I don't remember what u-joint the driveline place set me up with, but I thought he said it was the smallest one available for a T5 slip yoke. Maybe that's a 1310? I'll check eventually.

And thanks for the pressure re: Davis. I need it. There's still a lot to do, but the main item is 99% done now, thanks to a big afternoon of welding by Noah:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manifold-1609.jpg (163.4 KB, 236 views)
Old 04-18-2018, 03:20 AM   #558
FreeEMSFred
Board Member

Nice! If/when I ever get back to CA, I wouldn't mind hunting you down, too.
FreeEMSFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #559
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Someday I'd like a manifold like that, looks soooo good!

If you need a thrash session, I am willing to drive over and lend hands where necessary, Shoot me a PM and I will get you my cell.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #560
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
Nice! If/when I ever get back to CA, I wouldn't mind hunting you down, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post
Someday I'd like a manifold like that, looks soooo good!

If you need a thrash session, I am willing to drive over and lend hands where necessary, Shoot me a PM and I will get you my cell.
Thanks guys. I'm feeling pretty good about v2 of this car (fuel system, manifold, and some much needed engine bay adjustments).

Chris, this manifold is pretty sweet, but it's so over complicated because of the space constraints I'm dealing with. Noah and I were just talking about how fun/easy it would be to make one in a 240 and not have to make so many compromises.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #561
Brandonium
Board Member

Loving this! Really wish there was an option or swapping out yet retaining the long throw shift location!

Quote:
Well, the car's been running great and I've been putting some miles on it. So obviously, it's time to take it apart again. I pulled the M41 out and got the T5 mocked up yesterday. I got a 240 trans tunnel from Hiperfauto, which makes fitting it in the car much easier.

It sits a bit rotated to the left with the DeeWorks adapter on the "upright" setting, but I think I can massage the tunnel some more and it'll be fine.

This is what I'm thinking for the trans mount:

The reason I want to do this and not the stock mustang mount is to get a wider footprint and hopefully reduce engine rotation. I figure if I can use two mounts further apart, they can be softer and still offer some stability.

Ideally, I'd angle the mounts forward to mimic the stock setup. I always thought it was weird how T5 swaps use vertical mounts when the motor mounts are tilted back. But everyone does it, so I'm sure it's great. We'll see how much effort I want to put into angling these two mounts.

Any input on that?

1971 Volvo 142e

1977 International Scout II

Wish List

Saab Sonnet III

1979 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ60)

Whatever else tickles my fancy.
Brandonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #562
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonium View Post
Loving this! Really wish there was an option or swapping out yet retaining the long throw shift location!
Yeah, I think you could do something with an S10 tailhousing, but I never looked into that very much. Honestly, after switching to the rear shifter position, I'd say the nostalgia isn't worth the compromise. Having the shifter right at your hand is pretty sweet for spirited driving.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #563
Brandonium
Board Member

I'm quite the nostalgia freak.. lol. I guess I don't know enough about the S10 mod yet to fully understand what would be entailed. Your ride is inspiring I've just started sorting out the suspension I want on my 142e and finding +50mm rear springs and +25mm front springs were not that easy. Dai at ClassicSwede hooked me up plus a set of extended length Gaz racing shocks for all 4 corners. I remember you mentioning you were running Gaz were you not? If so are you happy with them?

I'm also trying to get Weller Wheels to respond to me on making a set of 16x7 steel wheels with a -12 or -20 offset. See any issues with running that offset on these cars if I'm the opposite of lifted? Goal is to run a 235/55r16. I like that beefier stance.

Quote:
Yeah, I think you could do something with an S10 tailhousing, but I never looked into that very much. Honestly, after switching to the rear shifter position, I'd say the nostalgia isn't worth the compromise. Having the shifter right at your hand is pretty sweet for spirited driving.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #564
Tfrasca
Board Member

You can use an S10 T5 or adapt a Mustang T5 to use the front mounted shifter. It still wouldn't line up with the stock shifter hole, but it would be much closer and you wouldn't have to weld in a tunnel from a 240 like I did.

I have GAZ shock and I like them. The rears didn't last very long, but Dai sent out replacements and those have been ok.

I'm no wheel expert, so I'm not sure how those offsets would work, but to fit 235s, you'll probably end up modifying the fenders quite a bit. Do you have power steering? There's no way I'd run anything wider than 205 in the front with manual steering.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #565
Brandonium
Board Member

Well my plan was to have electric assist column put in with adaptive control so that turning those meats would be easier. From pictures I have seen of another 142 with +50mm rears it looks like the fenders ride over the wheel so there's no concern about tucking or scrub. I can attach a photo if I can find it. That offset would move the wheels out around 1.5" to 2" from the standard +25 offset that the stock wheels have or shall I say the 740 wheels that I have on it now.

Quote:
You can use an S10 T5 or adapt a Mustang T5 to use the front mounted shifter. It still wouldn't line up with the stock shifter hole, but it would be much closer and you wouldn't have to weld in a tunnel from a 240 like I did.

I have GAZ shock and I like them. The rears didn't last very long, but Dai sent out replacements and those have been ok.

I'm no wheel expert, so I'm not sure how those offsets would work, but to fit 235s, you'll probably end up modifying the fenders quite a bit. Do you have power steering? There's no way I'd run anything wider than 205 in the front with manual steering.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #566
Tfrasca
Board Member

I got the manifold back from powder coat, and it looks good. I took the car for a quick spin this morning with the Deka 60 lb injectors, 012 MAF, and the new surge tank set up. It ran rich for a while, but toward the end of a twenty minute drive, I was seeing normal idle/cruise AFRs, and it definitely stays rich into boost.

I have a slight leak at the fuel filter banjo, so I need to fix that before doing any full boost runs. One thing I'll say, is that the 044, even submerged in its little surge tank and soft mounted to the car, is quite loud. I may think about building an insulated box around it, or I may just accept that this is my stupid project car, and it's just loud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manifold-0785.jpg (152.1 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Manifold-0786.jpg (157.1 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Manifold-0788.jpg (158.5 KB, 174 views)
Old 04-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #567
Vol242vo
Board Member

That intake is a piece of art, stunning. Looking forward to seeing it mounted and hearing about the performance results.

Last edited by Vol242vo; 04-22-2018 at 01:23 PM..
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #568
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

+1 baller
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #569
Tfrasca
Board Member

Well, I've driven the car for a couple days, and it's not without its little issues. With my original TLOA chips, the car will idle and cruise with the Deka 60 lb injectors with 012 MAF. It's got a pretty harsh rich misfire at about 12-15 psi, and it pretty much falls on its face. Partial or full throttle doesn't seem to affect it. We're going to see if a different tune will help.

Also, the surge tank seems to work well, and my fuel pressure is now completely solid on the gauge. With all the other pump setups, it would fluctuate a lot, even at idle. I drove up the mountain for about an hour today, and the surge tank got hot to the touch and the pump was crazy loud. I need to investigate that. The line from the lift pump to the surge tank goes pretty close to the exhaust, but that's the only thing that would be adding any heat. I know the pump will generate heat, and if most of the hot fuel is returning to the surge tank (cruising), I could see how it would heat up. But it seems excessive.

Does anyone else with a surge tank have any data points on how much they heat up?

Here's a photo of the engine bay, currently. Also, I moved the LH harness up and out of the way of the manifold. Before, it was just jammed behind it with all the vacuum lines and had I let it go for a while longer, it probably would have rubbed through my new old stock heater control valve! I still need to make the brace for the manifold, but you can see the helicoiled M8 boss ready to go. So that's something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine-1656.jpg (176.0 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg engine-1657.jpg (199.3 KB, 142 views)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:45 PM   #570
Vol242vo
Board Member

I only wish...
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:20 PM   #571
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

This is REALLY fantastic
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:42 AM   #572
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Looks awesome Tyler! We're going to have an awesome showing this year I think.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #573
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Looks awesome Tyler! We're going to have an awesome showing this year I think.
Now if I could just do something about the outside of the car...
Old 04-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #574
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Now if I could just do something about the outside of the car...
Put tons of clear and polish the crap out of it like the VW guys? I am contemplating something like that, My car will never be straight really, and I like to think of it as a "survivor" or something, lol
Old 04-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #575
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Yeah, that's always the killer, getting the exterior done. I'm actually trying to find a driver for my wagon, so it can actually go in the show, even looking the way it does. Figure the new work done to it might be worth showing off, but my usual co-drivers are all flaking.