• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gas Milage on a 240?

janikphoto

I know this will vary some, depending on turbo vs N/A, your driving habits, etc... but, what are your average efficiency numbers? My odometer is currently broken, but I'm guessing that I only get 15-20 mpg in the n/a 240 wagon at the moment. It probably needs some adjustments made, as the exhaust smells pretty rich - I'm sure part of the fuel isn't getting burned. It's a good way to clean deposits on the valves, but an expensive way! So, what kind of numbers are you getting?

'89 765 turbo is at ~24mpg around town and short distance romps.

Na 240 sedan gets 20 mixed city and highway in atlanta. Will get mid 20s on the highway even at 75-80 mph. I have no idea how people claim 30+ with these.

The last highway trip over the mountains in my '83 245 auto with people, cooler, toolbox, luggage, spares, (but no kitchen sink) etc. came in at 23mpg. Better than my Amazon wagon. And I wasn't driving conservatively. ;-)

I average 29 mpg on my '90 245 M47 - average speed of ~40 on my way to work. Average of 25 mpg over the past three years. I have been using premium (91-93) for the past couple months - manual recommends it, and LH3.1 runs lean.

About 20 mpg on e*5, mostly city driving. About 24 or so on gas. Maybe 28 on highway trips.

Obviously, putting the pedal down much makes that plummet, hp takes fuel, no way around that.

It seems like you're obviously going to get better MPG's with a manual transmission. My wagons odometer is broken too but I could tell a difference in gas mileage when I replaced the fam clutch that was always engaged.

I get 69 mpg

There's a whole billion page thread 35+ mpg club. Go check it out plenty of useful info.

I get 25-27 if I can keep it under 65mph, 23-25 if I drive faster than that. Mixed is around 21. I had planned on switching to SFI using MS for better mpg's, not sure if I'm gonna spend the time now that it's dented on every panel.

:grrr: I average 21MPGs and max out at 23 with a heavy highway bias and very light foot.

Does elevation above sea level have any impact on gas mileage?
I'm at about 1,000 feet (300 meters) above sea level.

And, ~24mpg is using 87 octane. I have begun to use 93 octane, but don't have any mileage data, yet.

Does elevation above sea level have any impact on gas mileage?
I'm at about 1,000 feet (300 meters) above sea level.

And, ~24mpg is using 87 octane. I have begun to use 93 octane, but don't have any mileage data, yet.

I rock out with my... Oh, no wait, wrong saying. I'm at ~150m above sea level at most. And to be fair, my car goes quite rich under boost. :lol:

Oh, dang. :oops::doh: I just read what I wrote. I confused myself with metric and feet. :roll:
I am at about 300 feet (100 meters).
(wishful thinking that I am at higher elevation ;-) )

My dad's '93 245 gets 27 highway and about 22ish combined. B230FT, 15g @10psi, turbo cam advanced 2 degrees (I think), stock ride height, stock computers.

Back