home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 03-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
qwkswede
faster than you think

Default Need some injector recommendation...

Hey folks. It has been a long time I know. But I'm still around...

I have the itch to run e85 in my 240 and explore using a flex fuel sensor feeding megasquirt. It is something I never did in the past with my other E85 tunes.

So I started searching the internet for injectors in the 50-100lb/hr range and high impedence. But the selection is suddenly overwhelming with all the newer different format injectors these days. There are adapters to make em longer, adapters to change the plugs. So many different lenghts available too. I just can't navigate the sea of choices out there. Completely overwhelmed.

What is a cheapskate Volvo tuner to do???

1. I see some really cheap things on ebay, that I assume must be asian sourced? Are they usable?

2. Is there any reasonably priced injectors that people like that meet those requirements in 2018?
qwkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
VB242
Mojo Stealer

I bought Siemens"72's" - 788cc/min. But they're low impedance.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:07 AM   #3
Sjeng
Board Member

Siemens deka EV6 might be a nice (economical) choice for you.
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
tryingbe
Boosting along.

I use Delphi low-z 1000cc injectors along with the Volvo injector resistor for my Microsquirt.

76.7% DC at 6876rpm on my 367whp dyno run on E54.

Only buy injectors from a place you can trust. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2ne6AVnF2k
Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

I'm running #65 delphi's as well.
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #6
qwkswede
faster than you think

Where are you guys sourcing these delphi's? Are these drop in for the Volvo harness and fuel rail? I can wire up some resistors if needed. I just don't have them in the harness on my NA 240.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
I'm running #65 delphi's as well.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #7
qwkswede
faster than you think

I have run these large body rochestor/delphi injectors in the past with good results. $53 each at fivomotorports.com. Are these the ones you are referring to? They come in a 75lb/hr variety. And some other sizes too it seems.

If there is no good reason to run some of the modern tiny injectors, then I am good with these old school units.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17113743-85lb_a_600.jpg (80.7 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by qwkswede; 03-14-2018 at 04:24 PM..
Old 03-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #8
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

http://racetronix.biz/items.asp?Cc=F...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=
(I used to use the MSD holley injectors with good results for years)

http://www.deatschwerks.com/products/fuel-injectors
(i have a set of these in my 744)

http://www.ausinjector.com/
(this place is local to me and has cleaned a few injectors for me so I am going to use a set from them for my wagon)
Old 03-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #9
tryingbe
Boosting along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwkswede View Post
Where are you guys sourcing these delphi's?
I buy my injectors on eBay with flow sheet.
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Yup, same style I've got Ken. I bought mine years ago from Racetronix. Nice thing as well, I was able to go #1 larger with a Holley branded one, to throw into #3, which actually got the plug readings to look pretty good.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #11
qwkswede
faster than you think

I worked on a megasquirt car that was running around denver. And someone sold him some of the tiny Bosch EV14 injectors with adapter fittings, and adapter plugs. I think they were 95lb. They were sold to him with promises of superior fuel economy, better power, very short opening times, and high impedence etc. They were neat looking little injectors and probably really expensive. But, I thought they were a bit tricky to tune around idle. They seemed non-linear (in a qualitative way). ie. My fuel map was not very smooth around idle.

Anyway, maybe I am answering my own question. Just thought I might be falling behind on my tech knowledge.

Thanks braintrust dudes. I needed that.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #12
tryingbe
Boosting along.

I have no idle issue with 1000cc injectors on MS. My buddy has 1200cc injectors on MS and no idle issue either.

Unless they injectors are not working correctly; fuel economy, idle quality, power delivery, etc, all in the tune. I know for the injector dead are probably wrong, I can still get the car to idle nice and get better gas mileage with MS than stock ECU.
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:35 PM   #13
qwkswede
faster than you think

Yeah, I know that is mostly true. I have run as big as 2000cc injectors on ms too. It is never a problem to get satisfactory driveability. But there is some difference with atomization and "smoothness" and economy with different injectors. It isn't quite as black and white as tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
I have no idle issue with 1000cc injectors on MS. My buddy has 1200cc injectors on MS and no idle issue either.

Unless they injectors are not working correctly; fuel economy, idle quality, power delivery, etc, all in the tune. I know for the injector dead are probably wrong, I can still get the car to idle nice and get better gas mileage with MS than stock ECU.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #14
cosbySweater
Board Member

get some deka 80s. a set of 8 is 330 bucks, they drop into the Volvo intake and are hi res, also you can sell the extra 4 and come out ahead of the game
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7875 turbo, 228/230 cam, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #15
MikeSr.
What, me worry?

GM truck injectors can be decapped and flow 75lbs/hr.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:05 AM   #16
cosbySweater
Board Member

Yea true, but then you should get them flowed, then depending on what injectors were previously in there you need to get a jumper harness if they make one or you may have to make one yourself, or repin. Then you need to get spacers. It adds up fast.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:13 AM   #17
qwkswede
faster than you think

So I ordered up some siemens deka 80s. I found some info on the spray patterns of the new gen siemens and also my previous favorite delphi low Z units. I never had any running problems with the delphis, but they spray a liquid heavy pencil stream. The newer injectors do a nicer job atomizing the fuel. That should help with cold starts and fuel efficiency I hope. The siemens dekas have high Z coils too, so I don't have to worry about resistors.

Also it is hard to go wrong with a set of 4 high Z 80# injectors for a little over $200. I hope they live up to the hype. They look good on paper.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:08 AM   #18
cosbySweater
Board Member

The dekas are nice, you will have a good amount of overhead with them. Are you running the micro as pure batch fire? Or semi batch like you could with ms2, I forget if you can do that with the micro
Old 03-31-2018, 01:01 PM   #19
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Link to the ones you grabbed and the previous favorite? You've got my mind wandering now, since MS will be going back on over the next few weeks and off to the dyno tuner I hope, before Davis.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #20
qwkswede
faster than you think

First image is the old school low-z delphis. They come in many sizes. I have run a few of these in my cars over the years. And my brother in law has a set in his turbo ford ranger. They are a pretty solid design really.

Second is the Siemens Deka IV. They are a somewhat more modern design. But I think these ones were designed as aftermarket replacements for older cars with the early Bosch connector and the longer injector length. So they drop right in to the Volvos too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delphi 850.JPG (85.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg siemens deka 4 825.JPG (101.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 04-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #21
cosbySweater
Board Member

If you are running batch now with one driver you may want to convert that and use both injector drivers, I don't know this to be 100% true but that was something matt Cramer told me when I was troubleshooting a surge issue with my car at light throttle cruising
Old 04-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #22
qwkswede
faster than you think

I will certainly look into using both injector channels just to spread the load out. But I haven't had any tuning problems with this car "yet" though. I'm pretty sure I'm still on a single injector driver, but with small stockish injectors. It is still plug and play and not too far from being able to use Volvo computers if I had to for emissions testing or a "fire sale". The emissions laws keep changing here every year. So I should probably keep reverting to stock coputers in mind and acheivable. I should probably fail with the check engine light that I don't have. But last renewal I lucked out and passed the roadside drive by testing. It runs clean enough. But a picky tester could fail me for something I'm sure.

Here is the flow sheet for the Siemens Dekas. They just arrived, and the data looks good.

deka IV flow matched.jpg
Old 04-03-2018, 01:19 AM   #23
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Nice, you actually have deadtimes as well!

Lemme know how you like them compared to the 65's. Might be something I step up to.

For the CEL issue, Kenny was able to wire up an output on mine to drive a relay and light, might be worth looking at, just in case.