• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 Flywheel/Clutch Options

mck1117

Hello all!

I have a 1993 245 with a B230, presently an automatic (AW70). I'm in the process of swapping to a T5 from a '94 Mustang (I'm aware that the input shaft is longer, I machined my own adapter to compensate). I have a B230F, IPD Turbo cam, turbo setup from a 1990 740 (Mitsubishi 13c), and a Megasquirt 2. This setup is dialed in reasonably well. Target is 300-350 lb-ft at most.

I have everything lined up for the manual swap, except for the flywheel and clutch. Now, I'm aware that I have a few options here. I'm not particularly bent on requiring the use of a dog-dish flywheel and retaining the 60-2 crank sensor. I'm already running aftermarket EMS, so I have no problem switching to a front mount trigger wheel.

Are there any benefits to one flywheel over the other, other than mass? Is there a difference in pressure plate availability? Is one pressure plate stiffer than the other, or is it a wash on the torque holding front?

In short, if you had the option to pick flat or dog dish, what would you pick?

Hey man, I sent ya a PM.

One of the main benefits of the flat flywheel over the dogdish flywheel would be that the flat flywheel is considerably lighter. I have read that some people report the flat to be able to withstand more power/abuse, although others would have to confirm that as fact.

I am running an STS flyhweel setup for LH 2.4 and want to say it is down around 20ish lbs. I have it setup with a southbend ceramic clutch and SAAB Viggen PP. Southbend says I should be good to 400-450 ft/lbs which is more than I should ever need.

If I did it again. I would go with a less aggressive clutch from southbend, but over all I am very happy with the setup.

The Saab Viggen PP uses the exact same bolt and dowel pattern as the stock 215mm Volvo PP for the flat flywheel.
The dowel pins are different diameters though, but just slightly. Oddly enough, I've come across flat flywheels with different dowel pin diameters (5mm and 6mm?)

I picked up a flat flywheel machined for LH2.4 from JohnV. Using a 228m Kennedy stage 2 pressure plate and organic disc splined for the T5. Rated @ 275lb-ft with an organic disk.

Pedal is a touch heavier than stock, but engagement is buttery smooth. Price is very fair as well.

what are folks using these days for setups in the 450-550hp?

I went way overkill and I don't know why I did it, but I did. According to southbend. The SAAB Viggen Plate with their Ceramic Race Disk is supposed to hold 450+ Torque. This is based on what Dave at Southbend figured.

And JohnV, glad to see you have setups now. I did try hard to get hold of you to buy a full clutch/fw/pp setup when I was in the market.

what are folks using these days for setups in the 450-550hp?

Big diameter disk and pressure plate. Saab 240mm pressure plate and a 9.5in disk? ACT rates their Focus ST 240mm pressure plate with a 9.4in disk at 530lb-ft, but I'm not sure of the clamp load of the PP vs the 240mm Saab PP.

I have a JohnV billet steel flat flywheel with the Saab 240mm pattern in it. Using a Spec Clutch stage 2+ disc. Pedal is barely any stiffer than stock, and it's been holding great at 350-ish whp. It's supposed to hold 500 ft lbs, they have options up to 690 ft lbs. They also have a T5 spline option on their website.

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Saab/9000/1995/Single

Back