• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C How to Replace Fuel Tank Filler Neck

Rusty_ratchet

1997 Volvo S90

The fuel tank filler neck (Volvo p/n 3531814) is leaking. The small diameter section of the part connects to the tank some distance away from the inspection plate. The hose clamp for the small diameter section is pointed so that I cannot access the bolt. I don't see how I can replace this part. Any suggestions?

The part (3531814):
IMG3932.jpg

The broken part in situ (note small diameter section veering off to the right):
IMG3929.jpg

Small diameter section connecting to gas tank. Bolt does not appear to be accessible from inspection plate.
IMG3927.jpg

I'm not one of these SVC peeps but I don't even see the bolt you're trying to get at?

Alternatively, are you able to remove the fuel filler port from the outside of the car, remove the clamp for the filler, and remove the whole shebang? Then install the filler neck on the fuel port and slide it all back into place?

The only tip I have to offer, is to jumper your fuel pump via the harness connector to get as much fuel out of the tank and into petrol containers as much as possible, then just pour it back in once the job is completed.

Thanks for the tips!

I have looked in my service manual and done some google searches for gas tank removal. I have not found a procedure for how to do this. Can anyone suggest a procedure or somewhere I can get this info?

Back