• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No reverse!

sksmith

Reverse went out on my 86 240. It's a manual with overdrive, M-46/47, I guess.
Is there anything that can break in the shift lever? Something that hooks the the interlock thing that you pull up to get into reverse?
Or am I looking at rebuilding the transmission?
Give me some ideas for this weekend.
Thanks,
Steve

does it grind when you try to engage reverse? sounds like you muddled the synch rings.

try putting it into first before reverse and see if it lines up.

typical for this to happen anyway, she's old.

1st thru 4th are no problem. The little lockout thing that you pull up to go to reverse just moves up and down. There used to be a little pressure, but none now. There isn't any grinding, it seems like an interlock issue, where it's not being allowed to move to the reverse position.
One other quick question for everybody. I plan on stopping to get gear oil for the tranny on my way home from work. What is the correct weight for the manual tranny? Is 80W90 Castrol good enough? I know that's what I used in my 144 many years back.
Thanks.

Take off the shifter boot and make sure that the reverse lockout ring is actually doing what it's supposed to. It will make sense when you take off the boot and look at it.

I'll try that tonight after my son's baseball practice. Thanks for the advise!

Yep- When you pull on the ring it's supposed to lift a plastic thing over a metal thing. If that doesn't happen then there's your problem and it should be pretty simple to fix.

I figured that was the case, but the crappy Haynes manual says nothing about it. There is a picture that is about worthless, but nothing on the procedure.
Thanks for all of your help guys!
Steve

Thanks for all of your help. Sure enough, the plastic clip was broken on the little reverse-engage pull up thing. Went to the PnP, grabbed a shift handle, and put it back together. Reverse is working!
Again,
Thanks a lot.
Steve

Back