• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

962j

Got the Z car registered to me now. Going to borrow a GT45 for mockup before I actually decide on what turbo to run. Ordered another GZ vacuum pump and picking up a 2j powersteering pump so I can get mocked up on the accessory drive. Im installing a power rack to handle the new shoes Im getting.

Looking at Jakes full auto transbrake too. Its important to me that I have full auto function and engine braking.

In other news tranny should be shipping for the 940 tomorrow so I can finally get back to enjoying that.

Sounds awesome!Really looking forward to follow the 240z car, Im dreaming about one to:)But its impossible to get a hold of one in Norway unfortuantly.

You probably have written it, but what will be the use for the 240z?

Ultimate goal with this car is to run 10.0 on street tires. I don't want to hassle with the nhra license needed to run faster so I'll make I challenge harder. Other than that the plan is to drive it and play around with it with my buddy's on Saturday nights

Good news tho, tranny guy has all the stuff machined now so it seems it may get assembled today and possibly shipped out. I might just make it to Portland this next coming weekend

To get this project off the ground I'm looking at a pair of eBay sweet gt35's. On par with a 6262 with an open 68 hotside. Searching shows plenty of power at mid boost levels with them and will lend some money to other parts of the project that need attention too

denmah maxed them real quick on his 6l truck build.

What kind of power? I'm looking for quick spool on the street and around 700whp. Would like one dyno run at 800 to back up the volvo on paper

And the transmission is back in. Need to install shifter and console widgets tomorrow and fudge the carrier bearing forward and back on the ground it is

Car fired right off like it hasn't been 10 weeks that it's ran too. Flushed the tranny and pulled some engine oil for an analysis

Eh, not much to look at! I will tell you the 32 spline outputs shaft is freakin huge! I also put a dial on the slip yoke last night. The old one was out of round by .015 and the new one is just under .003 so I'm confident that the vibration will be gone

No pics. Car is on the road and feels amazing! The driveline is not quite 100% but at 95mph the car is silk smooth just like it should be

Man boost feels so good!

Guys I need your help. Just got back from Portland and the drive was great. All the vibrations I've talked about before are gone below 90mph. Cruise at 80 is so much nicer and no more shaky wobble action under decel or the 30/50mph zone

But above 100mph still the car still shakes. Not as bad as before but makes me want to lift. The only thing to question is the current driveline. It is an unmolested unit from a 2005 mustang with good cv joints and good front u joint. I need to get the retubed one finish now and try it but wonder what else I can check. I've been over th car with a fine tooth comb but can't out my finger on it

I've tried new wheels, 3 driveshafts, new wheels, worked with joint angles

It doesn't seem to do it on the dyno reved out to 130mph plus

Could it be shocks or springs or suspension bushing?

Tranny or engine mounts?

Any thoughts or ideas?

If it's only when the car is moving I'd start taking a look at the front end, in case something is moving around, runout on a hub, adapter that's off a few thou, something like that. Definitely didn't feel anything when I was in that beast, but the jaunts up high were so short-lived for obvious reasons. lol

What do you have done for bracing on the front axle?

Did you put fresh gears in with the new rear carrier after the failure at the track? If not I wonder if the pinion is slightly off center? Granted that should do it on the dyno as well, but just throwing it out there.

Is the vibration the same in 5th and 6th? That should rule out engine mounts if it's the same, based on vehicle speed rather than engine speed.

Drove my wagon tonight, loved it, but it seems so damned slow. Also found I've been pulling timing based on what sounded like pinging, but was actually perhaps a noise in the front end. Dammit.

I'm going to jack stand the car today and spin it up with out tires in and see/feel it up

It was aligned just this may.

Gary. I haven't cruised at 100 yet, just powered into it in 4th gear. Rear axle has new gears and bearings along with one new axle and a new carrier since the lock up

Front has a lower W shaped chassis brace and an upper strut brace with stock revalved Billy hd struts

Car is low and my tierods do run uphill quite a bit. I've been looking at Bens kit for that

Maybe the untouched shaft in the car now has an issue and getting one made/ high spun balanced could fix it

I'm running the stock 2jz power steering pump

Definitely put in a couple runners or make a 1-piece brace to tie the strut rod chassis end in with the front crossmember when you get a chance, makes a hell of a difference. I'm sure you've seen the cherry lower brace, or my pic's over in noz's thread asking about a lower brace. Might help given the weight up front, definitely helps with the braking situation though.

I can't help but wonder if some of it is related to the gear spacing issue we talked about as well, or due to the tailshaft bushing perhaps has a touch too much play or not enough insertion? I had a custom shaft made just to get a bit more insertion into the trans, ended up at 47" vs. the normal spec 45.5" mustang shaft plus Josh's adapter.

Definitely put in a couple runners or make a 1-piece brace to tie the strut rod chassis end in with the front crossmember when you get a chance, makes a hell of a difference. I'm sure you've seen the cherry lower brace, or my pic's over in noz's thread asking about a lower brace. Might help given the weight up front, definitely helps with the braking situation though...

And then make me an extra one, because the CT one is noodly as hell.

Frontened......If it doesnt do it on the Dyno, sounds to me like a frontend issue.

Is the vibration all over the car or does it come through mostly through your feet and the steering wheel? I chased down that stupid frontend vibration on the 240 to a few things..mostly to a poorly machined front hub. Made the car so much more enjoyable to drive.

It still has a little tiny bit of vibration in it but with 18's and lo pro tires I guess its to be expected a little bit. Nobody else even notices it in the car, I think I am super sensitive.

See how the jackstand run up goes and you may need to do it with tires on to see if its in that part of the rearend.

Some of the old school shops had spin up machines for the frontend to help identify front end vibrations but I think most of them are long gone.

Good luck getting this sorted out. Car looks bitchin by the way and always good to catch up.

Sean

Back