• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Sanity check needed, HG (I think)

swiggy

----------
Hey guys, not been on here much recently, car has been trouble free and I've been super busy! I'd just like a sanity check before I rip this motor apart..

Anyway my wagon with a kjet B23E has been running rough as hell recently when cold, its had a hard time recently being used to tow my boat on some mountain roads and I've heard it ping recently too. Figured out #1 wasn't firing when cold, so running on 3 cylinders. Smooths out after a couple minutes, its fine when warm.

Was going to check cold compression on that cylinder, couldn't get the plug out (new plugs 6 months ago, I torqued them gently, the other 3 came out no problem. Got a bigger bar, and out it came, felt awful, like it was stripping the whole way. Plug came out covered in rust, and it looks like there could be some coolant on there (I'm running orange coolant, so its hard to tell between that and the rust). Other 3 plugs look good. A few aluminium specks came out with the plug, but the threads in head don't look as bad as I expected, they look like a little cleaning up will fix them.

I figured out why the HG might have blown, the injector on that cylinder is flowing about 20% less than the others. Going to try cleaning it and checking again, otherwise I'll have to replace all 4 injectors right? If I just buy 1 the other 3 will probably be flowing less..

Am I getting carried away pulling the head off or is it inevitable here? I'm apprehensive about trying to check compression or anything due to possible metal in cylinder from the plug thread, I mean I used a 2ft bar to get the plug out. It was so tight I am concerned the head has warped or something

wait...are you yousing the k cam on that hicomp engine while towing????hows that doing with the predetonation

wait...are you yousing the k cam on that hicomp engine while towing????hows that doing with the predetonation

Yeah, K cam lowers the static compression, its going to be more likely to detonate with a smaller cam no? I fill it with 91 whenever I'm towing, usually 89 normally and it doesn't ping. Just noticed pinging recently, probably cylinder #1 that is running lean as hell

Blow it out with an air line, then do the comp test. Dont just tear the head off for that.. or get a little magnet on a stick and fish it around in there too. Spark plugs turn into bitches from time to time, dunno heat/cold cycles seals em in nice or something. Ive found trying to remove em with the motor REAL hot helps at times.

How you know one cyl is flowing less fuel?

Blow it out with an air line, then do the comp test. Dont just tear the head off for that.. or get a little magnet on a stick and fish it around in there too. Spark plugs turn into bitches from time to time, dunno heat/cold cycles seals em in nice or something. Ive found trying to remove em with the motor REAL hot helps at times.

How you know one cyl is flowing less fuel?

I already took the head off, it was blown slightly near cylinder 1, you had to look pretty carefully to see it. I've cleaned everything up and got the head back on tonight, just got to put everything else together. The spark plug threads weren't great but I carefully picked them and now it feels good.

I put all 4 injectors into individual measuring cups and lifted the airflow plate. 2 of them had crappy spray patterns, and they all sprayed different amounts, number 1 being quite a bit less. I sprayed carb cleaner and injector cleaner through them with fuel hose and a bike pump and now they are within 5% of each other, and patterns look better. Hopefully this runs better than it ever has, I bet the injectors have always been a bit clogged

Back