• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Am I normal?

It was the same here, they just rusted out and were replaced by Subaru?s

Yep..Seattle changed from a progressive, strong union friendly working class city with excellent schools and people who like solid, simple safe cars from the land of their ancestors

to a smug, 2 class, yuppie and hipster infested, "service economy" driven city with consumer mentality driving not merely Subarus but cookie-cutter fleets of Foresters and Outbacks and "cross-over" whatevers with permanently attacjed boxes on the roof for all the necessities like several sets of downhill and crosscountry skis and sno boards..cause you nebver know when you might need 'em, that's why you NEED full time All Squeal Drive..

There could not be a car further from Saab and Volvos--the ones worth having: 60s, 70s and 80s---than the Subarus mechanically and spiritually..

Yep..Seattle changed from a progressive, strong union friendly working class city with excellent schools and people who like solid, simple safe cars from the land of their ancestors

to a smug, 2 class, yuppie and hipster infested, "service economy" driven city with consumer mentality driving not merely Subarus but cookie-cutter fleets of Foresters and Outbacks and "cross-over" whatevers with permanently attacjed boxes on the roof for all the necessities like several sets of downhill and crosscountry skis and sno boards..cause you nebver know when you might need 'em, that's why you NEED full time All Squeal Drive..

There could not be a car further from Saab and Volvos--the ones worth having: 60s, 70s and 80s---than the Subarus mechanically and spiritually..

In many ways, that's happening in other areas, like the Midwest, etc..

Any of you guys like any new cars out there?

Of course. I love the Mercedes CLA45 AMG. I am waiting on the next one and if it is what I think it will be, I may buy one. 400 HP and a 26 pound boost, yes please. Or a used Maserati Granturismo.

I like cars with you know, 8 airbags, crumple zones, modern crash test scores, modern technology, etc.

I am not going to drive my family around in a car from the 80s, or 90s. A hobby is one thing, but safety is another.

Last edited:
If you still have the wagon in a few months i might come check it out. I think its priced accordingly if its all in decent order.

Really have no interest in anything new. Old school here and bells & whistles don't really impress me. Just don't care about that stuff.
Not dd'ing the 145 or 854T anymore but am using a 16-year old S40.
Yea, I'm "cutting edge".

this

not necessarily true. this is the coast that actually used them as cop cars.

$2000 - $3000 seems to be the sweet spot for nice drivers around here. you can get more than that but as you're finding out, it takes time.

^

This - having been born and raised on the east coast I concur. When I was a wee sprat and canvassed for a nuclear freeze group back in the 80s we always delighted in the heavy Volvo neighborhoods.

Point being there were plenty sold on the East Coast - just be patient if you want your price. Otherwise change accordingly.

And as for normal - hell no. But who wants to be. Bought my first 144 on Nantucket back in the late 80s and have driven no brand since with a couple of rare exceptions.

:wave:

I have a feeling you would get a bit more interest in at least one of your cars if you moved the M47 into the wagon.

Not particularly. The death of the manual is only the tip of the iceberg; the worst thing apart from that is needing specialized expensive software/hardware to do simple tasks.

This was already my least favorite thing about owning an 850, which is by no means a modern car nowadays.
Have fun trying to find out that your check engine light is on because the hose leading to the EVAP charcoal canister (cleaning up emissions) has a hole in it and that your car isn't about to catch fire, and your turbo's not about to explode.

The closest I've seen in recent years to a car that I actually like (and no, I've not driven one so I am not sure I'd actually like it) is probably one of those overpriced Mercedes G series, which aesthetically reminds me of my family's old '65 Jeep CJ5 from the outside (picture taken in 2004):

Too bad it's so expensive and computerized inside.

But if I were to buy a new car it'd be a 245 to replace my 244. I'd like yours a lot more if it were literally any other colour, though... I don't know why, but I really don't like that brown. Back when I drove an 850 GLT, I turned down an 850 T-5 wagon primarily because of the paint color. Also, if I got it the first thing I'd do would be to swap the tranny.

I do admire how clean both these cars are, for sure.
If I weren't a poor college student, I'd probably buy the wagon off of you to do my own swap, and maybe get a re-paint.
I think a swap would be good. I've read, but not confirmed, that the automatics got a slightly different diff. than the wagon, so if you want it to stay "stock," I'd probably swap the diff as well. Apparently it improves fuel economy, at the expense of a little bit of fun factor.

Let me know if this isn't true, because it's total hear-say.

Back