• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Torx/Tamper Proof Tools needed for RWD Volvos

districtmotors

Hi! Anyone know the commonly used Torx/Tamper Proof sizes needed for 80/90s Volvos? I know I may be painting with broad strokes here but need an educated guess ahead of my Friday junkyard pick. I wouldn't want to be be short the right one for your part!

For interior stuff I'm assuming? There really isn't that many on a 7/900 series vehicle, and I've never run across any weird tamper proof/security fittings. They are all like T25/27/30 or so.

I have one of these...

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...790-c-9158.htm?tid=7683008349617548738&ipos=1

Isn't always the most convenient tool and definitely not the fastest, but I haven't run across anything that it didn't fit on my 7/940's.

Volvo put t25/t30 drivers in the tool bag that came with the car.
Posted via Mobile Device

Find a late 960 in the yard. If it has the tool bag and you find that the screwdriver with its switchblade bits is there, then you're in business. Or, if you have one of the red Volvo bit handles with all the screwdriver bits inside it, then you're in business as well.

When I hit up Pick-n-Pull, if I'm not specifically looking for something, I take a gallon size ziploc bag and fill it with a 3/8" drive ratchet, an extension, deep well 10mm, 12mm, and 13mm sockets, plus maybe a 1/4" ratchet with 7mm and 8mm deep-well sockets, then either the red bit handle with its bits, or the Felo black handled switchblade screwdriver with the philips/slotted bit and the T25/30 bit. I may throw in a crimping tool that has wire cutters, just in case. Add four pairs of nitrile gloves, and I'm good for the expedition.

My question is which bolts are safety torn on these cars? I cam think of none at this moment in time.

Most of the torx fasteners on 240 series cars are either T25 or T30. I don't think I've ever had to whip out a T20 or the Volvo-supplied T10 to remove a bolt or screw on a 240 yet. Seems the torx stuff appeared in 1989 on cars I've dismantled.

My question is which bolts are safety torn on these cars? I cam think of none at this moment in time.

Probably the shear bolts that hold the column to the support brace of the dash. That's about it. Those, you grind a slot into the bolt shaft and turn it into a large setscrew to remove.

-J

Most of the torx fasteners on 240 series cars are either T25 or T30. I don't think I've ever had to whip out a T20 or the Volvo-supplied T10 to remove a bolt or screw on a 240 yet. Seems the torx stuff appeared in 1989 on cars I've dismantled.

I may be mistaken on the size then. I am specifically referring to the fasteners for and around the instrument cluster and center console area that can be turned by the torx driver in the factory tool kit. I've noticed on mid eighties cars these were philips but at some later point turned into torx.

They must be T25 then.

Yeah most interior stuff is T25 or T30 with a T40 for the knee panels on a 240. I would bring a T20 as well just to be sure. I don't recall seeing a tamper resistant torx anywhere on late 240s, 740s, and 940s that I have worked on.

Probably the shear bolts that hold the column to the support brace of the dash. That's about it. Those, you grind a slot into the bolt shaft and turn it into a large setscrew to remove.

-J

If the bolt head sheared off, how would it still be a safety torx?

Almost all of the interior screws in the P80 and newer models are T25s, I assume it's the same way in the really late RWD cars. The only tamper-resistant torx screws I've run into in the FWD cars are the ones that attach the MAF sensor element to the housing (who knows why) and the screws in the (OEM) roof rail clamps.

On a 240, there are zero security torx screws/bolts. Pretty sure that the US/Cdn spec redblock 7/9 series cars are the same way. Late model 960 and RWD S/V90 cars, possibly. FWD cars, see above.

-J

On a 240, there are zero security torx screws/bolts. Pretty sure that the US/Cdn spec redblock 7/9 series cars are the same way. Late model 960 and RWD S/V90 cars, possibly. FWD cars, see above.

-J

Air bag crash sensor hold-down screws has security Torx as well as a couple other peculiar thing things on seat belts.

That's about it though. Real pain if you need a crash sensor for a legit repair of a bad/fluke burnt one in need of replacement on an otherwise straight car.

-J

I have in the past taken a small steel punch and broken off the small steel stud in the center of the screw head to allow the use of regular Torx wrenches.
The wrench will then fit into the Torx screw head.

I finally, after several years, bought a set of "security bit" Torx Drivers to fit the "Tamper proof" screws that I sometimes encounter..

-J

If I remember correctly, on the 240 Models, the two Torx head bolts that secure the upper steering column are both "Security" type.

Back