• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cherry bomb? Yay or nay

745wagon

I am going to be getting rid of my first volvo soon for a work truck, which i will be needing soon and am wanting to have some fun with it first. The car is kinda beat but runs great still. A guy in my collage shop class put a cherry bomb on his four litre jeep and it sounds dope.

I have been debating outting one on my 87 740 just after the resonator i believe it is and putting a downward facing dump pipe on it. ****ty idea or go for it?

pics or vids would be sweet too!

Thanks!

I've got one on the 144 put on by the P.O. I wouldn't spend extras for it myself but I'm not taking them off anytime soon.

my resonator was taken out and replaced with a section of straight pipe and the glasspack is in the stock muffler location.

A guy in my collage shop class put a cherry bomb on his four litre jeep and it sounds dope.

Why would you be putting cherry bomb's on a four litre jeep in collage shop class:-P

I figure you would have cut different pictures of cherry bombs out and then arranged them nicely on to paper

no.

ok fine, but if you must make damn sure you have a resonator. otherwise it will be ungodly. (at least my rabbit with only a glasspack and a side dump was.)

Well...I think glasspacks on a 4 banger sound like crap...like a farm implement, but everyone has their own opinions. As a resonator, they're fine...but as the only muffler? Eh eh. I'm going through the final phases of swapping in a 94 B230FTL into my 89 245. Using 3" mandrel bent turbo to tail. Previously, I went w/ a Dynamax oval for the main and a short 10" glass pack on my 84 760. I've always thought it was a bit too quiet, but today...I fired up the 245 w/ 1- 18" glasspack, too f'ing loud and nasty loud, OK? Like a tractor. So, I put on a couple feet of pipe and add the 10" glasspack...still too loud and harsh. In disgust, I ordered another Dynamax oval today from Summit and I'll use the same setup as the 760 shown here.
From front, looking back:
100_0012.jpg

Hi-Flo cat
100_0013.jpg

Dynamax oval
100_0014.jpg

Over axle pipe and dp by thelostartof
100_0015.jpg

Glasspack used as resonator
100_0017.jpg

100_0020.jpg

Last edited:
My car has a flowmaster on it (was on it when i got the car). It kinda was annoying cause it was cut right behind the rear diff, and would send vibrations though the car, especially when you were coasting. I had the muffler shop put a straight piece on the back and the car is much nicer to drive now. As far as sound, idk, it's alright on my 740 turbo, but nothing that special. At some point i'll probably change it to something a bit quieter. i'll try to take pix later

this vid is stock downpipe and 2 glasspacks and thats it, ends somewhere under the rear seat lol
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H635w0JBLv8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H635w0JBLv8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
and this is an older video of the same setup
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XbnNozM_IlI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XbnNozM_IlI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I love my Cherry Bomb. 2.25" cat-back, no resonator, single 27" glasspak. The guys at the autocrosses love it. I had a cop stare me down the other day, but no hassles in three years of driving it like this.

Pros:

• It's loud and hard-edged
  • It's cheap ($18.95), so if you don't like it, get something else

Cons:
  • It's loud and hard-edged

Back