• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Will a cracked windshield pass inspection?

tjanson

Will a cracked windshield pass inspection? It's only a 8" crack with two 2" cracks next to it that doesn't obstruct vision. I live in Massachusetts... haven't been able to find the regs on the RMV website except for:
What do they inspect on my vehicle?
VIN Number/Registration/License Plates
Windshield
Wipers/Windshield Washer
Headlights/Headlight Aim
Turn Signals/4-Way Flashers
Tail Lamps/Brake Lights/Backup Lights/Other Lighting Devices
Horn
Exhaust System
Tires
Body Panels/Fuel Tank
Service Brake
Parking/Emergency Brake
Seat Belts
Ball Joints/Steering/Suspension
Emissions Test/Emissions Components (if applicable)

Depends on the location of the crack. If it is not obstructing line of sight for driving then it should be OK. I have a crack in the far left corner that will not be a problem.

Ok, I just finally located the regs:
a) Windshield Critical Viewing Area is the area covered by the sweep of the wiper(s) exclusive of the outer two inches within the perimeter of the wiper(s) sweep, provided by the vehicle manufacturer.

b) Windshields having any of the following defects will be rejected

1. Any broken glass with sharp or jagged edges inside or outside.

2. Any stone bruise, star break, or bulls eye, damage in excess of 1 inch in diameter within the critical viewing area or larger than 2 inches outside the critical viewing area, or multiple such damage.

3. Single line cracks which extend more than three inches into the critical viewing area.

4. Multiple cracks, having one or more which extends into the critical viewing area.
Looks like I'm good to go.
Thanks guys.

Back