• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pig: '79 242 16vT

Thanks!

I'm also thinking of changing over to a Momo Prototipo with a quick release. I love the positioning and offstet of the Mod.08 but the seat flip forward is not as useful with the wheel in the way and it would be nice to have as much of an opening as possible in order to get my now 35 lb toddler in the back.

As cheesy as quick releases are, it would be nice to have the whee positioned where I want it and to also have the extra room when loading children in the back. We shall see what I end up coming up with.

Got tired of not knowing whether the knocksense is randomly lighting off on the upper rev ranges or not, so I put this cheap doodad together based on what people in other forums are doing:

30C72AE9-97F3-480F-854E-13CA81CBD789.jpg

0114DEB3-EA69-4977-B3EE-504142D00305.jpg

E0FD5000-C369-41F7-AAA6-026DA818966E.jpg

Any review yet? I just recently ordered one of those amplifiers and have it sitting on my counter. Haven't modified it yet though.

Fluid was low. Found a sizeable trans pan...

Anyway, goals for 2016:

-Optimize cam situation (Nathaninwa mentioned that the IPD cam needed 4 degrees of retardation to achieve the best torque curve. Going to have a looksie on their respective cam pages...may upgrade to an RSI Stage 2 cam if necessary, definitely throwing in a 2-piece cam gear
-Install Truetrac
-Get Recaros refinished
-Add peel 'n stick sound insulation
-RX-7 front brakes
-Some exhaust mount improvements

Also your 2016 goals list sounds very similar to mine. Is there a reference thread or post for the retardation of the IPD cam for best torque?

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. Looks like I need to play with my cam angle a bit, I've always read advancing moves the powerband down to to help with off-boost performance.

12.9 is pretty good. What are you at now?

No idea. Feels like high 13s by my finely tuned butt dyno, this being at right around 12-13 psi. By the look of the compressor map, this thing should be at peak efficiency right around 20-25 psi. I find that slightly frightening to be honest.

Best run last year was 15.1 @ 91 on a stock TB03 with an ebay stage 3 turbine housing that was too big for the wheel itself and LH2.2 on a broken wiring harness. It was bog from the line and full-on loud detonation for the last 400 ft of the run.

Tried out the amplifier. Redblocks do sound like sewing machines. Neat.

Last edited:
That's pretty good. Just get to 20 psi and have fun!

I need to actually run the quarter mile to see just how poorly I am using my turbo.

Cool. Hopefully I get some time to build mine soon. Did you just run the wire out of the gap between hood and fender while driving or did you go through the firewall?

I did it through the fender as I forgot to grab my "parts" harness from my parents' garage and had to improvise. The amplifier is sitting next to the fuel filter and my headphones' wires are going through the panel gaps. Maybe I'll make it neater but probably not.

As for your turbo: yes...it should make your car a handful! BTW, when flooring it, when do you see peak boost per your datalogs? Mine is right around 4000 at the moment. Still enough to roast the tires in first if I'm not careful, but it does seem like these turbos move a whole lot of air even in boost transition.

quin said my car would be faster off the line harlard. How can you let that possibly happen?

So any verdict on detonation and knocksense? Was it being overly sensitive or was there real KNOCK?

Honestly I can't tell. It was loud as hell up in the rev range and if the detonation was faint I could not hear it. Then again it can be so bad one can hear it over the entire racket that is the valvetrain in the thing, and through the firewall...unless I can get a sound file of what detonation should sound like with a pair of headphones on, I'm going to call this one inconclusive.

That said with timing bumped in the top end and no discernible ping within the cabin or through the amplifier, the car pulled cleanly to redline for the first time...so maybe it isn't pinging. Ugh, I don't know.

Ignition table below. Not sure what to make of it. Set the cam to -2.5 on the timing gear, which works out to a little bit less advanced with the .027" head gasket.

You wouldn't mind sharing your ignition table, would you, Ken?

31FC1446-A8F1-4358-9F65-E14BF31AC0E5.png

I don't have one handy at the moment. But I will share. I can tell you that my 200kPa row, where I have my boost set currently is about 13-17 degree range. But my motor is a 10:1 non-turbo motor on 91 octane. You are running considerably more advance. But that is expected I think.

And why are you idling with 36 degrees advance??? That will get you a fail on an emissions test right quick.

I have a separate idle table. Right now in neutral it idles at 8-12 degrees, and in D it's at 20-30 degrees. seems to run the most smoothly that way.

I feel like at full boost you could get away with more advance? I think mine is around 18

Maybe. Bumping it definitely helped the upper reaches of my powerband. It's still unnerving to see the knocksense light glow bright red. It will only stay unlit with maybe 10 degrees at 5500-6200, which obviously feels like there is no power whatsoever up top.

Maybe. Bumping it definitely helped the upper reaches of my powerband. It's still unnerving to see the knocksense light glow bright red. It will only stay unlit with maybe 10 degrees at 5500-6200, which obviously feels like there is no power whatsoever up top.

I know in 500dollarmatts car, it proved to be all but useless. Anything over 4000 rpm and it just lit up like a Christmas tree. Lots of timing, or no timing, didn't seem to make a difference.

I feel like at full boost you could get away with more advance? I think mine is around 18

I don't know how much boost you are running, but the 220 row looks like the numbers are low. But the 200 row seems about right. Thats a pretty big drop in timing when going up those couple PSI.

That's because the I haven't touched the 220 range yet. The highest it ever gets to is 202 kpa at redline, as a function of me being very cautious about destroying the engine with timing (still my commuter, stupidly enough), and the fact that the Dekas are already at 85% duty cycle (my fuel pumps can't keep up with the demand in fuel, I am certain).

I do want to turn it up to the point where this turbo will begin shining, but first things first!

Back