• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fuse blowin

My car is a 1993 245 w/ m47. So... my problem all started 2 weeks ago, little did I know how much of a pita it would be. I took my hood off to paint it and it just happened to rain that day I took my hood off. After it rained my reverse lights were stuck on so I just unplugged them for the time being. Then after I unplugged them I started blowing fuse #5 which is blinkers and reverse lights which is fantastic because that means no blinkers. After driving it around town I discovered that the fuse only blows when I let the clutch out and am staring off driving. I thought possibly my voltage regulator was shorted out because of the rain because I was blowing fuses at high rpms. Got a new alternator and replaced it just now... I?m still blowing fuses. I am honestly so stumped. I like the car but I can?t deal without having blinkers. Anyone have any suggestions?

Any wiring fallen down around the pedal cluster? Because of the clutch thing.. Or one of the unhooked reverse wires swinging into something metal on acceleration?

At first I thought it was the reverse wires swinging around so I wrapped electrical tape around the connector and I still blew fuses and no there are no wires hanging in the pedal area. If the car was sitting still the blinkers would blink forever... it’s just when I start to move that the fuse blows. That’s what has me so stumped.

Got a spare blinker relay? I would start with the easy stuff. I might have one if you know the part number, got a ton of that stuff around

I don’t have a spare relay but the blinkers work fine if the car isn’t moving. And that still wouldn’t explain my issue with the reverse lights. Where is the relay located?

The blinkers work fine if the car isn't moving...ok that is a new one for me, hopefully someone has an idea. The relay is most likely located next to your right knee while driving, between your knee and the lower cubbyhole behind the plastic cover. I don't know for certain but that's what my Haynes manual says.

I'd get the car up on ramps, or straddle a deep curb, then crawl underneath and see if you can find the reverse light switch wires going into the transmission. Check the wires carefully, and maybe get a mirror if you can't see the full length. I'm suspicious that the rain is unrelated and instead, you have bare reverse light wires that short out when the transmission moves or gets bumped around while moving.

Hm I have not tried that. After 2 weeks of trying to figure it out on my own I’m going to take it to a mechanic tomorrow and see if they can figure it out. I’ll still be more than happy to take suggestions though.

I'd check the wires again -- if one section was bad, there may be other bad sections. From the green book, it looks like a 2 pin connector with Blue and Black wires, or Blue and Red/Black wires, but I don't know how this gets routed from the transmission into the cabin.

Back