• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sunroof... problems?

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
So I bought my 745 with a sealed up sunroof. It was sealed with some kind of mystery material, but I suspect it was due to a dead motor. I promptly sourced a manual handle, gearbox, and trim piece and installed them, followed by cutting through and removing the silicone caulk and roofing tar.

When I go to turn the handle, the roof will move about 1/16 of an inch forward or backward and the small section that raises and lowers moves a very small amount as well. Then, the gearbox makes a noise like the gear is slipping against the cable. The rear of the roof portion (not the fixed roof, but the sunroof) is curved down to a max of 1" in the center.

How do I lubricate the cables with the roof closed? Is my roof cover or rails damaged? The headliner looks straight and the surrounding roof shows no signs of damage.

Do I have to press the little black button whenever I crank?
You have to depress the button only when starting the first crank from closed position-- in either direction. IOW, pressing the button "unlocks" the crank when closed.

From closed position, cranking CW should lift the rear of the sunroof. Cranking CCW should drop the rear of the sunroof and slide it rearward. What happens if you try to assist by pushing on the sunroof in the intended direction with your hand while cranking?

What year?

1989 745

I didn't use my hand to assist the crank but I'll try that when I have some time.

Back