• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My other 242 (Machiavelli)

SwedishBrick242...

Trying to get somewhere
I know some people seem to have either forgotten that I have this car, or never knew in the first place and never saw the significance of my username. :-P It got rear-ended about a year and half ago, and I have since owned a 960, and sold it to get the silver 242 from Don.

So, back from the dead, I started my other brick up for the first time in over a year today and gave it a run around the block. I have newly named it Machiavelli in light of it faking its own death only to make a comeback now.

I will be transferring all the running gear, suspension, interior and everything else that is still intact from the tragic demise of my silver 242. This one will look brand new after the bodywork and paint.

Dirty as hell from storage:
p1010445dg5.jpg

My parent's 960 in the background:
p1010447ai6.jpg

The ripple in the rear quarter from the accident
p1010449sq5.jpg

The messed up exhaust and cover from the Accord that got crammed under my car:
p1010450di9.jpg

Trunk doesn't line up anymore...
p1010451pe6.jpg

looks good. rust free, i assume, as you're from ca?
Indeed. My parents are the original owners, so I know the whole history of the car, as well as the fact that it has been well cared for.
white walls ftpimpness:-P

i know your gonna swap them with the eikers..right??

looks like a great base
Damn straight. Should look real good lowered around some Eikers and repainted the stock color with the pinstripe back on there. :)

A few questions for ya' about the silver car ;-)

How did the turbo/exhaust do in the accident? Are the motor mounts still intact? What do the struts look like, did the Konis make it? The front sway must be bent, yes?

I'd be interested to see what the engine compartment looks like, especially the upper, GT Struts. They are supposed to fold in a frontal collision.

Are you going to flat-hood the new (old?) car?

Are you adding a flathood before/during the repaint?

I'm still debating on that. There is a perfect one at the J/Y near here, but I don't know if I want to change this car. If I did, I would probably go with a homologation style front end. I already have the grill, so it wouldn't be hard...

How did the turbo/exhaust do in the accident? Are the motor mounts still intact? What do the struts look like, did the Konis make it? The front sway must be bent, yes?
I haven't really gotten the chance to look at it more than superficially yet, but I can tell you what I know from what I can see:

The turbo is fine, and the exhaust seems to be untouched. I can't see the motor mounts, but the engine doesn't appear to have shifted. If the Konis are damaged, its only the driver's side front as it is the only one that appears to have shifted. I need to get the car in the air to see more detail and I have not yet checked the sways. The Brick has IPD sways and strut braces already though, so its not a part that I really need.

Here are the only pictures I have of the engine bay so far. The hoses are only bent because of the intercooler being pushed forward.
img7869je2.jpg

img7870ll8.jpg

img7871bg3.jpg

if you are still un-decided about the hood, buy a flathood and have it painted at the same time, so you could switch if you felt like it. i think the big hood looks good on the wagons and 4 doors, because it makes the front look big and the wagon rear or the 2 extra doors matches the big in front. i hope you are healing up quick and you can get the accident all behind you
take care

Strip it..paint it the right way, get those parts on it..this is going to be a fun swap-build thread to read.
Hope you document it well with pics.

Bravo I say.

Logan,

Hmmm, your red 242 looks pretty decent. Looks like it has the same crease that my black '82 242T got from a '98 Accordion hitting it @ 10 mph... Probably a little work on a frame straightening jig will get it normal again.

Otherwise, it looks like it's a running and driveable project car...

-J

Back