• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best Shocks for a lowered 142?

John Douglas

I have a lowered '74 142 with lowering springs in the front and cut springs in back...with pretty tired Bilstein HDs on all four corners.

Is it best to replace with HDs sized for a 142 or would other shocks be preferred since the ride height is now lower? I've seen some discussion on shocks for Chevy S10, but have no clue why they are preferred.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I was gonna say, make a list of what's available and then pick from that. I'm guessing you'll have about 3 choices.

The Bilsteins I am told are not like a sensatrac and are not height sensitive.

The Sensatrac or other cheaper shocks have a groove in the bore that lowers damping in the ride height sweet spot.

The Bilsteins have the magic in the piston valving, accelerated movement closes a leakage port and the shock stiffens up regardless of height location.

Koni isn't listing 140 shocks in their catalog anymore. Even when they were available, they were the red "Special D's", not the yellow sport shocks.

I have these on my 142 with lowered itb springs in the front and cut 245 springs in the back. Ipd front bar. No rear bar. Its pretty dialed in. Feels really tight with red konis

The Bilsteins I am told are not like a sensatrac and are not height sensitive.

Correct

The Bilsteins have the magic in the piston valving, accelerated movement closes a leakage port and the shock stiffens up regardless of height location.

Wrong by a long shot. Where did you find such a bizarre idea?
Study:
342582d1198096692-i-need-little-input-digressive-pistons-131_0607_09_s-coilover_shock_technical-digressive_piston_bleeder_plate_wear_band_etc.jpg

Fast movement:
shock_piston_fast_rebound-277x300.jpg

All there is is a piston with oil passages covered by a stock of thin steel shims...

That it.

Oh no...here comes the shim stack discussion...

I used to get cross eyed in the bike shops, listening to FOX and RockShox try and explain this...

I'm just not ready for this.

Oh no...here comes the shim stack discussion...

I used to get cross eyed in the bike shops, listening to FOX and RockShox try and explain this...

I'm just not ready for this.

I hain't either..
This hain't the TBOT "what thing you hate" but gawddam i wish people would not just make up totally fictional crap-o-la and ruin and way-lay discussion like "a secret chamber opens a fawkin cosmic vortex and' fawk me.
Hey pick up da FONE when i call.

Back