• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HELP! My 244 is running rough!

A

Anonymous

Hello all. I have a 1976 244 with a B21E in it. It is my daily driver and has been running perfectly until today. :(
Today i was overtaking up a hill and i let the motor rev to 5000rpm and it was going beautiful. Then when i went to stop at a red light it was really idling bad. I went to take off and it sounds like it is only running on 3 cylinders, until it gets to about 2500rpm and itll smoothen out unless it is still under load. The motor doesnt have as much power anymore. It does this all the time now and nearly dies when its on idle, even though ive got it idling at 1000rpm.

I am scared i have damaged the motor internally. My Vacuum gauge is at 15 in/hg (normal) on idle, so this is ok. I did a compression check and cyliners 2,3, and 4 have 150psi and number 1 had 140psi (acceptable for a motor with 245,000km on it??).

I have put new plugs in, and still no difference. I pulled each lead off individually whilst it was running, and each made a significant difference meaning it isnt an ignition problem.

I have no other ideas, i know the motor has no strange noises, it is just very rough on idle, at low revs and when the motor is under load.

I need the car everyday so could you please help me!!

any advice at all would be gratly appreciated.

P.S sorry about the long post, i just like to be very descriptive so as to get an accurate response.

YLD 244
agostino@primus.com.au

B21e
not to sure how the E motors are but i would start by unpluging the air mass meter, if the car seems to run a lil bit better with it unpluged the replace it.

Air Mass Meter is located inbetween your air filter box and intake manifold should have a black rectangle plug connected to it.

Hope this helps.

I was going to say do the same with the O2 sensor... and if you can get a compression check on the motor to make sure you didnt break a ring or something.

how many miles do you have on it?

DaRiceRipper said:
B21e
not to sure how the E motors are but i would start by unpluging the air mass meter, if the car seems to run a lil bit better with it unpluged the replace it.

Air Mass Meter is located inbetween your air filter box and intake manifold should have a black rectangle plug connected to it.

The B21 didn't use an AMM because that's a LH-jetronic component, and the B21 used K-jet fuel injection (except for the very rare B21F-MPG from '82 with LH1.0, but most people will never see one of those).

Back