• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1/4 times

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know the 1/4 mile times for a stock 88-91 740? i am looking to get one, but want to make sure it is faster than my current car!
Thanks

n/a or turbo?
my n/a might make 20 minutes or so if i really push it. lol. i don't know either because i haven't gotten to the track yet. all i know is that the stock 8-valve b230f's are pussys. mine is really weak. i'd be surprised if i broke a 19.

kevgad said:
http://www.ontariomr2club.com/ReadingRoom/Qtrmiletimes.htm

That's a good list, but the '85 GLT wagon times are not accurate. Even if it's an auto, it's going to be more than .1sec faster than the 127HP '82 GLT, and how could it be .1sec slower in the 1/4mile with 160HP?

The T-5R should not be .3sec quicker in the 1/4mile than the 850R, so I wonder who did those tests.

Some of the numbers may be a little off, but this is as close to reality as i have seen. Im not saying they are exact, but i think they are close, and gives you an idea of what to shoot for when you race at the track, or which cars are realistically faster stock. Like trying to race a 1991 talon turbo stock, with a stock 240 turbo...i dont think it would be close. I think it could be with modifications, but there would have to be modifications. This site is just a good guideline
Kevin

Now, I dont know about you,

but my slightly modified NA 242GT can get up to 60mph alot faster than 14.2... or 8 sec for that matter. I'd say around 7's... but then I havent bothered to check. :D

Volvo78GT said:
...my slightly modified NA 242GT can get up to 60mph alot faster than 14.2... or 8 sec for that matter. I'd say around 7's... but then I havent bothered to check. :D

:roll: Pull a sub-10sec. 0-60 and I'll be impressed.

ok so i went ahead and did it by stop watch
(my brother did the timing while i did the driving)

i got runs as follows (varying states of hurry-ness and shifting)
btw its electric/digital so it measures in milliseconds or whatever...
10.7 (which i did the most high revving shit up to 5000 each gear), so no kidding about the M falling on its face above 4500 or whatever...
We stopped because its freezing outside and I'd rather be watching brit comedy.

That's with a K&N panel filter, a manual, 2.25" cat-back exhaust, a K-jet in proper tune, Nissen 3-row radiator and no-full size spare/junk in the trunk (btw no small spare either , that's under my bed) and btw the timing is set straight up I believe.

I also did a 60-0 test...
that was the most interesting, I know that I have good brakes... completely rebuilt (no idea what pads though, came with the calipers...) I just love watching that speedo needle drop so quickly! (i downshifted to 2nd and used clutch to assist me in braking, just plain braking you can see when i did that, the 6.55 and 7.01

I tell ya, NA cars are really choked by the stock 2" exhaust, especially with a bad cat! I put in a new cat and my car ran so much better, and when i put the cat-back (starla cheeep turbo exhaust, nice bends) and boy, that car really became alive. NA cars are slow because they cant breathe ok? fix that with a header and a better cam, I'd think they'd be alot more driveable ok?

now of course that could all be wildly innaccurate (you know how bad our speedos are and human perception....

however I did note that from a rolling start, at about 15 or 20mph, starting off in 2nd gear that the 20-60 times are incredibly short... at about 6 seconds or so... its my belief that volvo 1rst gears are too damn short really. I found that my best acceleration is between the 2400-3500RPM range and really, 60 mph comes quite quick to me... I'm sure that 8 seconds isnt that hard to get... I wasnt going hard at all! shifting at 3500-4000RPM isnt what I call hard... just using the torque band.

Well, i have never owned a toyota. So I dont own an MR2. I just did qtr mile searches on google and that board came up and I thought it was a useful tool. I own a 245Ti+ and my family owns 4 other volvos, so we are a volvo family for sure. As for Canada, i live a little north of Seattle WA.
Kevin

That sure sucks that your car does 0-60 in an average of around 8.5 seconds but it takes my wagon 1.5 seconds longer with a lot more modifications than yours. I highly doubt that the 200lb difference between your 242 and my 245 would account for that massive rift in acceleration times. 6.6% difference in weight, 15% difference in acceleration times eh. I'd very much appreciate it if you could have your car weighed and go to the track. My 245DL does the 1/4 in 17.52@76mph. When I made that run my car had: modified intake, 2.25" single muffler cat-back, electric fan conversion, K cam, cam timing advanced 6 degrees, ignition timing advanced 2 degrees, accel superstock coil. I removed the spare and the sub box in my car, so approximating that the box plus the wheel weighed about 80 cumulative pounds, my car weighed 3245lbs (including me) at track time.

I eventually will have a nice good scavenging header (usually 2.5" outlet) and 2.5" cat and two straight through mufflers, the V15 NA cam, permacool electric fan, MSD 6AL... blah blah blah,

but seriously guys, i'm pretty sure these numbers arent that far off... (but then i have never and will never go on a track... not till i have at least 200hp... (will convert to a nice turbo in a year or two...)

as for the differences in speed... gearing has alot to do with it you know... and the 2.25" exhaust helps tremendously for sure, oh yea i have a modded NA airbox... tube under bumper into the airbox... just for these runs, i prefer it with the original horn thingy... it's more drivable in 0-40 stop and go traffic that i go through.

way i see it, the main thing that hinders me is the first gear. just get the thing rolling and it really takes off. Now, i've ridden in plenty of v8's and "fast" ricers, and my car really doesnt shirk in the competition... its just different. I enjoy it tremendously and I dont need more power in this shitty kind of driving that I am forced to subject it to. Now, if I were doing more twisties or highway driving, i'd want more power no doubt.

Ok, my thoughts.

Gtechs are OK, not the greatest. Next best thing then the track *i guess*

Stopwatch-it could be the best of the best or the el cheapo dollar store specialty, but there is a large margin of human error when using those hence some of the inconsistency. When the you hit the throttle and the person on the watch hits the start button-margin of error for reaction time. Same thing when stopping the stop watch-error: too early or too late, no one is perfect. Driver errors also play a role.

[quote:5c19195b04]8.23
10.7 (which i did the most high revving shite up to 5000 each gear), so no kidding about the M falling on its face above 4500 or whatever...
We stopped because its freezing outside and I'd rather be watching brit comedy.

That's with a K&N panel filter, a manual, 2.25" cat-back exhaust, a K-jet in proper tune, Nissen 3-row radiator and no-full size spare/junk in the trunk (btw no small spare either , that's under my bed) and btw the timing is set straight up I believe.

I also did a 60-0 test...
5.39 [/quote:5c19195b04]

So imho I would say the best way is to have track times.

Late

I forgot to mention that during 0-60 runs and 1/4 mile track runs my car ran through 1st, 2nd, and 2nd+OD. In the 1/4 mile I also used 3rd gear. Gearing differences do make a big difference, only in this case, oddly, my car's gearing should be an advantage, not a hindrance compared to your car. Race track timing devices tend to be accurate, thats why I like them so much.

of course I admit that its inaccurate! i mean...

point is though, is that 0-60 goes by quicker than most reports eh? its quite respectable to me, sure it aint a V8, but the high gearing of my car gives me some kind of advantage (short volvo 1rst, small tires, etc)...

btw i found that the most loss of time was due to shifting not go-ing...

again i say that i wish the 1rst gear was the same as the 2nd but high enough to have no problem pulling off the line... that'd help tremendously in my opinion, just tweak the 1rst gear lower... and i wouldnt have to shift into 3rd to get from 50-60mph... 0-50 is really quick in my car but the 50-60 is slow then 65-80 and/or 70-90 accellerations are quite quick...

damn i wish there was adjustability in our transmissions! wouldnt it be nice to "tweak" it anytime we want? the 2-3 shift really wastes alot of time in my car... 0-30 and 30-50 are very good climbing on my speedo, but 50-60 is so damn slow...

You Sir, suffer from no problems that another 350 horses wouldn't just fix right up. :roll: Of course, in having stoopid horsepressure, you will have other little headaches pop up. Things like transmissions breaking mainshafts, gears, and overdrives. Differentials going Kaboom!! Axles breaking off in the splines by the differential carrier. Maybe even wheelstuds breaking off. Once those issues are dealt with, you will still be faced with being traction limited. Hint: Rallytires are something less then ideal for doing ricey night at the 1/4 mile track. You will be sideways all the way through the lights, and get a stern 'talking to' after your run. (If I remember corectly, the quote was ''You just can't DO that.'' I'm sure that you can imagine just how amusing I found that to be. :badboy: ) If you are (no BS) getting to 60 in something just over 8 seconds with your NA GT, then my hat is off to you. Forgive me for casting a bit of doubt on the accuracy of your speedo though. I suspect that it is reading 60 at perhaps something more like 45-50 for you to be making the numbers you quote. Perhaps you guys were taking some really good shit that afternoon. If that is the case, then I have to admonish you for driving under the influence of it, and respectfully ask if you would be so good as to fix me up with some, as it has got to be really good. :twisted: All my love, JohnLane.

**** OFFICIALLY ADMONISHED BY JOHN LANE *****

nah, wasnt under the influence. it was a bit cold heh.

and my speedo's pretty accurate, compared to a new BMW and I got just a hair over 60... about 60.25? not bad. (old ford truck gave me 57... but i'm guessing he's off a bit more than...

but 0-60 mph at 8's isnt that major is it? I mean... most cars today run that and faster....

just look at that link above... i run similar 0-60's to a saturn... read that a 99 corolla runs a 8.9...

you see the wide variety between powerful motors and weighty bodies leads me to believe that gearing/wheel sizes does alot... for short acceleration times... but ultimate power i dare not presume that i compare eh?

my point is that i dont give a flip about "solid numbers".

really, just get your car to a place that you're happy with it. dont depend on 1/4 mile times and 0-60's and shite... its like measuring how long your dick is... doesnt give you much indication how fun you are my definition of ulitmate power is to have fun and never feel out of control and never feel limited. I'm doing pretty ok and anything improving always helps. sure my car's old and rattlely and no paint... but its mine. I can compete/have fun with the dipwads that have cars that their parents bought them... i worked hard on this car and i worked hard for the money feeding it. its mine and i dont care about what other people think eh? I have fun in my "little thing"...

(mom said:)
Oh I enjoy this little thing, I could drive this everyday, its fun!

she was the one that told me to consider junking it ;) now she prefers it over the 1990 745GL (nice red wagon w/ functioning air climate control and verrrry comfy leather seats...) and her Jetta TDI... in pleasant daytime driving of course heheh.

Dan Clemts, who has a pretty sweet and serious 242Ti... doesnt do 1/4 times or 0-60 times... he doesnt believe in that shite... he told me that going up a steep hill... how good the car is depends on how happy you are going up the hill... obsessing over numbers cost more, why not spend it on the car to make it more fun and drivable? ditto for me.

no matter what I do to my car, it'll always be better than before. sure it has a bit of temper but its quite fun.

Thanks for posting john lane... didnt quite get it all, but it's aways real entertainment listening to you!

as for the influence... cold weather. (my car always runs good on 87 octane and 45-55 degrees... always torqueyer than when its hotter or colder (which is why i limited shifting below 4000rpm... it's wheezy below my preferred 60 degrees for higher rpm driving... it was just right that's all... nice and warm from mixed driving earlier that day... it felt good that night.

which is characteristic of my car... its VERY moody. It seems to run better in the afternoon if i drove it a short distance in the morning... dont ask me why.

now, if i were ever to get a g-tech for free/cheap, i'd give you more realistic numbers eh?

Weren't under the influence huh? Perhaps you are now if you are taking me with more then a grain of salt in my admonishing ya. That would be a grain of salt that I throw into that open wound. Heehee. If you can get your GT to 60 in 8, then more power to ya!! We must all keep in mind that our goal is to have fun in what we are doing. I just suffer from taking that a few steps further then many. If you love your toy, then good on ya mate. As it goes, my toy is being a bit of a thorn in my side right now. We will see if the rear and doesn't drip oil anymore after I replace the bits that have been reshaped soooooo well by all the BFR's that I encounter on the rallyroads. Then I just have to fix up the unwanted rear wheel steering that I have going on and get the front wheel bearings better attached to the hubs so that the brake rotors aren't hitting the hub carriers in hard turns. That is what winter is for. Ironing out the buggaboos. Don't get yer unders in a bunch Tiger. All this is in good fun. JL.

"going up a steep hill... how good the car is depends on how happy you are going up the hill... "

Yeah I hate going up hills, every time I floor it (wet or dry) I break traction. Sucks when it's raining out and you're going 65 up a hill and you toe into it a bit to maintain speed and you start to break traction.

When it was dry I was going 45 mph up a hill, I kicked down into 2nd gear from OD and laid a nice strip... that made me very happy... overboost switches do not make me happy however.

hmm... saturns go 8's ... they dont have nearly as much torque as I do... sure they're lighter...

keep in mind that this method is incredibly inaccurate, I'm sure its high 8's... the lowest one was only 8.15 or so... that could be half a second off...

is 8's really that hard? I mean... a tiny puny saturn can do it... why cant I?

Back