• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Converse T5 swap

euro-trash97

I recently picked up a Converse Engineering 302 swapped 240 and I want to put a t5 trans in it. Does anyone have any tips on this? I found that yoshifab has a driveshaft adapter and a T5 swap crossmember. Im still stuck on the clutch though, do people use a volvo cable? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I have a T5 on my redblock, but in that case it's still pretty much all Volvo - Volvo bellhousing and Volvo clutch fork. I'm using a cable with it, cable pedal setups for 240's being considerably easier to come by than the rare hydraulic bits.

Just use your existing crossmember and make a mount, either solid or using the Volvo hockey puck rubber. Truly the easiest thing to do, save the money.

If you're using the Volvo bell housing (which I'm guessing you're not) you'd be okay for the clutch cable

If you've got some mustang bell housing, can't help you. Maybe post a picture of the bell housing mount. Maybe someone else will chime in.

A mustang t5 speedo cable will work with a couple pieces from the Volvo one and a little work.

There's a couple write ups for this swap, check them out

All the parts you listed are designed for bolting in a volvo redblock with a t5 tranny. They allow a t5 to bolt up to a redblock and a volvo factory tailshaft. You have a v8 swapped car. There is no way to know for sure where the tranny is located without measuring. You are gonna need to measure some stuff before ordering parts. Btw, what tranny is in the car right now?

The mustang T6 and bellhousing make is near bolt in. There's a very convenient hole in the bell where the stock ford clutch cable goes, and the volvo cable and adjuster will sit there with no problems.

To get the trans mount, I used some 1/4in flat plate with some slots, then welded it onto the cross member. It sticks out about 1.5in.

For the driveshaft I used a conversion yoke at the rear. I can measure the driveshaft length tomorrow if you'd like.

The mustang T6 and bellhousing make is near bolt in. There's a very convenient hole in the bell where the stock ford clutch cable goes, and the volvo cable and adjuster will sit there with no problems.

To get the trans mount, I used some 1/4in flat plate with some slots, then welded it onto the cross member. It sticks out about 1.5in.

For the driveshaft I used a conversion yoke at the rear. I can measure the driveshaft length tomorrow if you'd like.
This is what i was getting at, instead of buying a crossmember, just get the tranny in there and weld on a plate to existing crossmember and make it fit. This way if your particular motor mounts are a little forward or backward it wont matter. Spend money with yoshi on other good stuff.
As to the driveshaft, Likely the stockers will either be the wrong length or you will twist them off when you drop the clutch. You do have a v8....Don't tell me you are gonna take it easy.....And never add power in the future.....
Since you are doing the tranny, and changing driveshaft you may want to look into a better rearend, if you haven't already. That little dana 30 is not going to last long behind a healthy v8.

I recently picked up a Converse Engineering 302 swapped 240 and I want to put a t5 trans in it. Does anyone have any tips on this?

Message M.H.Yount, who ran a small block FORD and T5 in his 242 for at least a decade. He will set you right.

What transmission is in the car now?
As others have said, it is easy to modify the stock crossmember, but kinda feel like that was already done if there is an AOD in it now. Yes, Mustang shaft and Yoshifab adaptor will get a shaft in there, but again what is in there now? Could have existing shaft modified too.

FWIW though on a redblock. I have the "old" RSI poly trans mount and it mounted DIRECTLY to the T5 with a piece of angle steel.

What Culberro said above - Mustang T5 bell (be sure you get a match between bell and T5 - input shaft length is different between Fox body and SN95 models) will work with Volvo cable/adjuster. The QT bell to put TKO/T5/Toploader behind an LS will also work with the Volvo cable - but swap to longer SN95 clutch arm in that application.

Crossmember - most attach (bolt/weld) and piece of 1/4" plate to the bottom of the Volvo crossmember so that it extends the mounting surface forward by a 3" or so. Two holes in the plate will align with the oem or aftermarket Mustang tranny mounts. Here's a shot during a recent mock up.

Then measure and see what you have to do for driveshaft. I run a one piece, but where Converse mounts the motor didn't allow a Mustang shaft to work without altering the length. So I had a new one made.

Last edited:
Back