• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1990 780 (B230FT) has lost its manhood (engine power)! Ack!

MrRock

So I have been suspect of the 780 (1990 B230FT) ever since I picked it up 3 months ago. It was a nice riding car, but had some issues with speed that I thought wouldn't catch up to me. Well, they have. I am tired of being passed by old ladies. The car always seems to shift at a low RPM (2,000 - 2,500) and has trouble accelerating up to high way speeds without disengaging the overdrive.

The troubles don't stop there though. At moderate highway speeds (75 - 80 mph), the car needs to pulse the turbo to continue at the same speed. when I set the cruise at 75+, I would say the turbo is engaged about 50% of the time.

Owns6volvo's and I were driving around last night attempting to diagnose why my car was suckin so bad. We figured that the source of the problems was most likely the kick down cable and old vaccum cables. Upon further inspection, he discovered that my floor mat had been jumbled up behind the pedal. I have not tried the car since that 'preformance' mod, but I imagine it will have no bearing on my interstate cruising speeds. What could be causing that?

Just to confirm, We drove my car and went 'fast'. Then we drove own6's wagon (non turbo) and actually went FAST, so I know something is amiss.

Thanks!

MrRock said:
Upon further inspection, he discovered that my floor mat had been jumbled up behind the pedal. I have not tried the car since that 'preformance' mod, but I imagine it will have no bearing on my interstate cruising speeds. What could be causing that?

This right here is a HUGE one in terms of acceleration. If your floormat is in the way, you can't the get pedal anywhere near WOT and your Turbo+....

As for begin in boost half the time at speed, something is putting undue strain/load on the engine.

Flush the tranny?
Check diff? check driveshaft bearings/ujoints?
check your exhaust/cat?
air filter?

FWIW, my car cruises at 80mph everyday without going into boost.

check your exhaust/cat?
Recently, due to previous owner stupidity, my rear muffler needed to be removed (was hung wrong, broke the connection it had with the incoming exhaust pipe) and replaced with a straight pipe. This wouldnt be causing any trouble?

air filter?
Replaced 2 months ago, shouldn't be bad unless I sucked up a small animal along the road and didn't notice it.

Flush the tranny?
Check diff? check driveshaft bearings/ujoints?

I haven't checked these, and don't know how to do them. Hopefully owns6 will help me out a little. Once he gets on AIM, I will direct him to this thread to give a more detailed explaination.

OH, and almost forgot one strange thing. First thing he discovered when looking under the hood was a mystery wire that was not hooked to anything. It was a Green /w Red stripe wire with a barrel connection on the end. It starts hanging in front of the drivers seat from the bundle of wires the rides along the firewall in the 'back' of the compartment secured with tie wraps. total lenght is about 2.5' . I can take pictures of this tonight if you need them. We both couldn't find anywhere this thing would hook up too, but it definitally looks like it supposed to be somewhere.

heh... I think we first need to take the car out for another spin with the "Performance Mod." I also think that now the ability to get WOT, that will help tons. When I was looking at the car, it was running just slighty rich. May have been that not enough vacuum was being supplied to the FPR, (the damn tube was falling apart quicker than a hand in 100% hydrochloric acid). I think once we get the different vac tubes up to snuff... about 2-3 of them need ot be replaced, it will then not have the weird idle problems, and rich running condition.

The rear diff in my opinion, is not one of the strains. It might be causing *some* strain... Like if you put in Mobile 1 synthetic into.. you might free up about 1 hp and 1 MPG.

I also noticed a problem with the kickdown cable in need of adjustment. Maybe this weekend, or today, or whenever I get up to the guys place, I can fix it.

Kevin O'B

Well, we replaced 2 of the vaccum lines, the one feeding the FPR and the one regulating the turbo. The car started running better (less rich) and we took it out for a spin.

holy crap.

Totally different car. At one point we tried to get onto the interstate and had to wait at a stoplight on the entrance ramp. When the light turned green, the 780 just spun tires until I let off the gas. The kick down problem was finally solved!

Unfortunatly though, althought the turbo seemed to be more responsive after the vaccum replacement, it still feels like it is not all there. We will be installing a aftermarket gauge on it next week and be figuring out just how much boost I am getting. One of the trouble spots MAY lie in the turbo + kit, as it has 3 vaccum lines that may be dry rotted, or the unit itself just might be bunk. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do with the kit (remove and replace with a dawes device paul?) I am completely open to them.

There is another boost controll system from ffwdr racing that has a twist knob that is easier to adjust than the Dawes Device. The dry rotted hoses on the front side of your airbox is the + turbo solenoid and it is the reason that you loose boost at WOT after a few moments.

If you want to help out you turbo do one of the intake mods. If you go to the main page there is a 740 ram air article. I did it to my 1991 780T+ and it helps.

[quote:0615e54d06]The dry rotted hoses on the front side of your airbox is the + turbo solenoid and it is the reason that you loose boost at WOT after a few moments. [/quote:0615e54d06]

hmmm...how do you know if you've got a turbo+ installed? I've got something on the front of the airbox with a couple of vacuum hoses, wasn't sure what it was or if I reconnected it correctly after modding my airbox. My car had all kinds of options on it (body kit, gemini wheels, spoiler), so I guess it's possible the original owner also had a turbo+ added....

Evan

Turbo+ is what they called the 780 turbo system. I am not sure of all of the technical stuff but it got the BF230 putting out 188 hp.

I am sory that I am no more help but I am aware tha tthe solenoid thing that sits on the front of the airbox has something to do with the actuation of the wasegate, which bypasses exhaust gass arounf the turbo, which is the reason your boost slowly creeps down after a few seconds of WOT.

maybe replacing all the rubber lines that are as strong as napkins... yes.. very THIN napkins.. would help greatly :wink:

Back