• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Omg it never ends.. 740 water pump weep hole

Acid8000

Okie dokie. So if any of you remember my last predicament I got a knotted rope stuck in cyl #1. That was 5 weeks ago now. So I removes the cyl head, had it milled. Had the intake guide seals replaced. Did a bunch of cleaning while everything was off. Ported the exhaust mani. Put in New waterpump gasket it was a Volvo waterpump and thing worked fine there's no play in the shaft.

Got it all back together this last weekend. Went to fill it with fresh water, was gonna flush it out once I fired it up before putting the coolant back in it. And low and behold water is pissing out of the weep hole. So frustrating it's all back together..

Why or how did the waterpump decide to die after sitting for 5 weeks. Was totally fine before this. I haven't even tried to fire it up yet but I'm hoping somehow when I fire it up the weep hole seals itself again. Or.. I dunno. Do the Volvo waterpump have a rubber cover for the weep holes? Can I source some other rubber stopper for the weep hole?

Is that advisable or do the waterpump implode if you plug the weep hole. How does the weep hole work is it a 1 way valve in there? Anyone know?

I should take a picture for you guys. I work at a powdercoating shop so I sandblasted and powdercoated a bunch of parts when it was all apart.

Other question was .. if I do have to replace the waterpump. I don't have to remove the timing belt again do I? It's much easier now that I have the crank pulley holder tool but still I'd rather not If I dont have to.
Thanks again yall

No removing the belt. You just have to remove the upper cover. I like to use the bolts for the water pump that have the washer built into the head of the bolt. If you use washers for the hardware. Be very careful that you don't drop any hardware into the bottom part of the timing belt cover.

That pump should be under warranty. There was a specification from Volvo about how much is allowable to drip. But basically the seal inside is leaking and it is bad or going bad. Are you sure you didn't get any sand or overheat with baking if you painted the water pump? I would think that may damage the pump shaft seal.

Nah I didn't paint the waterpump. Just cleaned it. I did pressure wash the outside of it. Yeah I noticed the difference in hardware too the WP gasket kit came with washers but the hardware I was using like yours has washer built into it. It's doubly annoying cuz I had an easy time installing the waterpump with the head off. The Volvo gods are laughing at me I guess. They say, no you must do the waterpump again but this time with the cyl head on!

I myself have no idea how old this waterpump is.. The 740 itself has 450,000kms on it. And I just got it last summer myself..

I guess to get any kind of service out of it and maybe stop the leak you can block it up. jb weld should work. I thought the pump being so new you could get it warrantied from Volvo. I've seen a top hole but only the bottom is a weep hole.

A new hepu or NAPA pump is $40? Takes 45 mins to replace? Coolant can be saved and reused? You've probably spent more time seeking advice on how to not replace it than it would take to replace it.

There's a weep hole on top and on the bottom.. That normal? If i plug the bottom one there's still the top one letting off pressure or in air..

The hole is there to let you know the internal seal has failed, and the coolant is happily washing away the lubrication from the pump shaft bearings. Plugging the holes will only make the pressurized coolant spew out the front bearing, causing a catastrophic failure even sooner.

Face it, the pump is buggered. Get a new one.

Alternatively, you may have installed the top hat seal incorrectly and it looks like it's coming from the weep hole but it's dripping my down onto the top of the water pump.

Back