• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 tools for lowering springs, struts, shocks

fred.malmberg

Besides common hand/shop tools, . what else do i need for lowering springs, struts, shocks on my 240?

I bought coil spring compressors, and ball joint separator for tie-rod

What about something for the top nut on struts?

Anything else I'm overlooking?

For removal you can use an impact after you compress the spring. But for assembly I like to use the Volvo tool to hold the center shaft of the strut. You will need a deep box wrench or the special socket to tighten the nut when holding the center of the strut. I also suggest some new upper strut mounts. I think there are some threads about which ones are good nowadays. I haven't used them yet but I bought the Deutchparts ones on ebay.

thanks for the feedback

found another thread, ..seems the consensus is that the special socket is necessary, . only problem for me is the one that is linked to Performance Tool #W83015 seems to be unavailable now online

any ideas were to track this down or a replacement part#

the gland nut tool has mixed reviews

To get ball joints to let go just slam the control arm with my favorite tool- the mini sledge! They will fall free if you put enough man-strength into the swing.

This is the way to do it.

Performance Tool W83015 Universal Strut Nut Remover

71dV%2BOf%2BXYL._SL1500_.jpg

82245GLTPaint290.jpg

I just bought the Performance Tool set from, of all places, the Sears website, but from another seller. They seem to be out of stock most places. It was indispensable for reassembly.

For not much money, you can just remove the whole strut assembly and take it to any car repair shop, have them remove/install the springs, then you just reinstall whole unit. They have the tools, not much labor involved.

some intel

i asked Wilmar Corporation aka Performance Tool customer service; unfortunately W83015 has been discontinued and no replacement available.

not much old stock left

According to FCP Euro, CTA 3039 for $125, will work.

Air hammer to slam the gland nut off. 1/2" impact to slam the nut off/on.

I have a big pipe wrench I use on gland nuts, and then impact for the strut nut. Just a little brrrp to get them tight... nothing more.
:zeeall:

I welded a bar to a deep 1/2" socket that fits the nut, I can then use a 3/8 socket and extension through the 1/2" hole to hold the strut shaft.

Back