• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Diverter valve replacement

Taparoo

Hey guys! New to the forum but I've jad my brick for a while its an 88 740 turbo. Lately its been boosting low so the other day I checked the ic to turbo hose for cracks(its good) and at the same time the diverter valve (its bad) it doesnt hold the pressure I would use to blow bubbles with. The thing is I cant find a stock replacement valve anywhere so Im going for a mod Im gonna adaptt a vw 1.8 or2.0 diverter valve Im just not sure about a blocking plate for the stock valve the ones on ipd are for 2 different mitsubishi models that I dont have I need a plate for the td04h 12b. Does anybody know where stock parts like that are available or if just a simple flat plate would work? Thanks for looking in and thanks in advance for input.

When you say the diverter valve is bad you mean the rubber diaphragm is bad? I bought a new one for my Mitsu turbo when it was ripped and that way you don't need to fab up something else, are they not available for Garrett turbos? Would certainly be the easiest way...

Sounds like he has the external CBV T3 turbo. I haven't seen one of those in the yards in a long time.

He has a 12b turbo which you really can't buy a cbv for. I haven't seen any for sale anywhere, you need a used one. Some early 13c turbos used the same cbv. It can be found but takes some time tracking down.

12B turbocharger....those are long gone around here now too. Time for a 16T flat flange and new downpipe!

Yoshifab makes blockoff plates:
https://yoshifab.com/store/cbv-blockoff-plates.html

Stock 88 740t should have a garrett turbo with a head-mounted CBV..?

If it's been swapped to a mitsubishi and you want a block off plate machined, Yoshifab can probably hook you up. Or take the junkass 12b off and put a 15g on there.
It seems like they are unavailable from Yoshifab at the moment. Thanks much for the info though Im definitely gonna try to contract them some more before I break out the sawsall lol.

When you say the diverter valve is bad you mean the rubber diaphragm is bad? I bought a new one for my Mitsu turbo when it was ripped and that way you don't need to fab up something else, are they not available for Garrett turbos? Would certainly be the easiest way...
Its a Mitsu but the valve on this one isn't serviceable and I can't seem to find a replacement.

He has a 12b turbo which you really can't buy a cbv for. I haven't seen any for sale anywhere, you need a used one. Some early 13c turbos used the same cbv. It can be found but takes some time tracking down.

You mean it takes time to track them down in the yards?

Back