home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #176
JERIC
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SOUTH JERSEY
Default

I have pertronix Ing on my 142, love it and easy install, easier than adjusting points!
Jeric
JERIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #177
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Aptos, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERIC View Post
I have pertronix Ing on my 142, love it and easy install, easier than adjusting points!
Jeric
I'll second that. Worth the $90.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #178
matt b
Board Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Okay I'll preface this with I know a few people on here told me to avoid the IPD header with their Weber setup. The other day I was looking at the crack in my exhaust manifold and noticed it had grown a lot. The previous owner tried to weld the crack which obviously doesn't work well.



I went ahead and ordered the IPD header and started fitting it last night. Initially I bolted it in place and then tried to fit the intake manifold. It wouldn't go on no matter what I did so I tried putting the intake on first. That didn't work either so I took a step back to see what was going on.

After a little searching and feeling, I saw that the intake was running into the exhaust manifold flange on the underside of the head.
Isn't this the part: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pt...iew/make/volvo

I know it required some "reworking" when we installing one on my Amazon. There are also issues with thichkness of the intake manifold.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #179
Coupid
Board Member
 
Coupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
I'll second that. Worth the $90.
Thanks for the information, I'll probably go that route when these points wear out. At the same time now that I have the points gapped correctly the car runs great. I guess the benefit for the pertronix is that it doesnt have to be serviced every couple thousand miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
Isn't this the part: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pt...iew/make/volvo

I know it required some "reworking" when we installing one on my Amazon. There are also issues with thichkness of the intake manifold.
I had heard that too but it seemed a little silly that I had an intake and headers both bought from IPD that wouldn't simply work together out of the box.
__________________
1972 142S Project Thread: http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=311926

1991 780 Sold
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #180
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Aptos, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
I guess the benefit for the pertronix is that it doesnt have to be serviced every couple thousand miles?
They also claim that it delivers a more powerful spark, but I doubt that's the case, unless you upgrade your coil at the same time.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #181
hiperfauto
Board Member
 
hiperfauto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Default

I've been using a Compu-Fire ignition on my 142E for years. It's easier to install than the Pertonix and costs less. The only drawback is that it doesn't fit early distributors with 2 piece points.

Edit:

The price has gone up since I captured this image from their website 3 years ago.


http://compufire.com/compu-fire-2110...tributors.html
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:09 PM   #182
Coupid
Board Member
 
Coupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
I've been using a Compu-Fire ignition on my 142E for years. It's easier to install than the Pertonix and costs less. The only drawback is that it doesn't fit early distributors with 2 piece points.

Edit:

The price has gone up since I captured this image from their website 3 years ago.

Thanks for the link, it looks like they cost about the same as pertronix now. I guess they are still easier to install though right?

After getting engaged, a week in Portland and a week at CES I am finally back home!

Buying the ring caused me to slow the rate at which I was buying parts for the 142 (long term it probably wont't help the cause but she loves the car too)

I came back to some of these throttle linkage clips from someone in Greece. I lost one while I was working on the car so I was happy to find replacements. Using a bent staple seemed really ghetto but it worked until these guys showed up:



It felt great to take the car back out tonight. It took a while to start until I realized that the choke cable screw wasn't tightened so it wasn't pulling on the carb side.



Can't wait to get it out this weekend and keep working on it over the next few months. I'm almost ready for a longer trip... IPD would be a little ambitious but I could see Davis if some local Volvo friends were up for it.
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:30 AM   #183
240keith
Floats your Boat
 
240keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: S.B. CA
Default

looking goood!
__________________
-Black on Tan-
225, XXX Miles!
-B cam-
Single Rounds / Flathood





Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Borrie View Post
Is this real life?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
No.
This is TB.
240keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #184
Coupid
Board Member
 
Coupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Default

Been taking my time resealing the wheels. I did the first 3 since they would go flat almost instantaneously. The driver's front was holding air for about 2 weeks so it is hard to get motivated to pull it apart and put the new spacer and seal in it. Tonight I pulled it off so I can complete the project!

I like the look of the car on the stock wheels:

Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #185
NO_SPRK
ihazkoolaid
 
NO_SPRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca
Default

Me too...

Maybe find a set of 164 5.5 inch wide wheels?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Been taking my time resealing the wheels. I did the first 3 since they would go flat almost instantaneously. The driver's front was holding air for about 2 weeks so it is hard to get motivated to pull it apart and put the new spacer and seal in it. Tonight I pulled it off so I can complete the project!

I like the look of the car on the stock wheels:

__________________
69' 145 / 73' 142 / 84' 244
Buyer/Seller Feedback
NO_SPRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:59 PM   #186
Coupid
Board Member
 
Coupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_SPRK View Post
Me too...

Maybe find a set of 164 5.5 inch wide wheels?
If we lived somewhere that required winter wheels I would happily do that but I can't think of a reason not to use the Gotti's. Maybe I'll grow out of it at some point lol...
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:35 PM   #187
Coupid
Board Member
 
Coupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Default

Got that last wheel resealed and installed back on the car.

Took my first longer drive in the 142 this afternoon. Did about 50 miles up to Lake Cachuma and back on Hwy 154. The car did great the whole time. It corners really flat. It could use a little more power up long hills but it does well enough to stay out of other people's way.




I'm getting down to the last few nagging problems... in no particular order so I have a record:

Heater blower motor does not turn on
Front seats don't match
Rust repair to rockers, hood and windshield
Dome light does not turn on
Takes a lot of cranking to get it to start after it sits for a week
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #188
NO_SPRK
ihazkoolaid
 
NO_SPRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca
Default

I had a problem with my weber bleeding fuel off. Everyday it seemed like it needed a few extra cranks to get it started.

The dome light pins in the doors are pretty old n brittle. Mine works but not with the doors.

Can't help you with the blower motor but if it's not in great shape bring it to a electrical shop for a cheap rebuild.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Got that last wheel resealed and installed back on the car.

Took my first longer drive in the 142 this afternoon. Did about 50 miles up to Lake Cachuma and back on Hwy 154. The car did great the whole time. It corners really flat. It could use a little more power up long hills but it does well enough to stay out of other people's way.




I'm getting down to the last few nagging problems... in no particular order so I have a record:

Heater blower motor does not turn on
Front seats don't match
Rust repair to rockers, hood and windshield
Dome light does not turn on
Takes a lot of cranking to get it to start after it sits for a week
NO_SPRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #189
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Aptos, CA
Default

I had good luck getting all my dome lights (on two 140's) to work but thoroughly cleaning the door switches. It's funny how much better a car feels when the light turns on at night when you open the doors. Give it a shot.

I have also rebuilt two of the early style heater motors. Seems like the most common thing is for them to get gummed up. The motor itself is really weak, so it doesn't take much of a restriction to stop it from turning on at all. Check the switch, too, but so far both of mine were fine. Pull the motor, blast it out with electric parts cleaner, and make sure it spins freely. Then re-lube the lubricating felts next to the bearings. If the bearings are worn, I don't know how to fix that...

Car is looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Got that last wheel resealed and installed back on the car.

Took my first longer drive in the 142 this afternoon. Did about 50 miles up to Lake Cachuma and back on Hwy 154. The car did great the whole time. It corners really flat. It could use a little more power up long hills but it does well enough to stay out of other people's way.




I'm getting down to the last few nagging problems... in no particular order so I have a record:

Heater blower motor does not turn on
Front seats don't match
Rust repair to rockers, hood and windshield
Dome light does not turn on
Takes a lot of cranking to get it to start after it sits for a week
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #190
Coupid
Board Member
 
Coupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_SPRK View Post
I had a problem with my weber bleeding fuel off. Everyday it seemed like it needed a few extra cranks to get it started.

The dome light pins in the doors are pretty old n brittle. Mine works but not with the doors.

Can't help you with the blower motor but if it's not in great shape bring it to a electrical shop for a cheap rebuild.
Do you think the problem is that after sitting the fuel drains back to the tank and has to be pumped back up? Would a little one-way valve fix that? More importantly would it catch fire lol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
I had good luck getting all my dome lights (on two 140's) to work but thoroughly cleaning the door switches. It's funny how much better a car feels when the light turns on at night when you open the doors. Give it a shot.

I have also rebuilt two of the early style heater motors. Seems like the most common thing is for them to get gummed up. The motor itself is really weak, so it doesn't take much of a restriction to stop it from turning on at all. Check the switch, too, but so far both of mine were fine. Pull the motor, blast it out with electric parts cleaner, and make sure it spins freely. Then re-lube the lubricating felts next to the bearings. If the bearings are worn, I don't know how to fix that...

Car is looking good.
I'm going to try cleaning the switches in the doors tonight. I remember them being really hard to push in when I let looked into this problem. I know the fuse and bulb I are both good. The switches are the only remaining part of the system.

Regarding the heater, when I hit the heater switch the lights momentarily dim so that leads me to believe that the switch is good, the motor just can't overcome the restriction from being gummed up. Iirc the motor is at the top of the heater stuff behind the dash. Is there an easy way to access it? I did the heater core on my 780 and this looks a lot easier but if you have any pointers I would love them.

Thanks guys!
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #191
NO_SPRK
ihazkoolaid
 
NO_SPRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca
Default

im not sure. i just noticed how fast my car started up with the SUs compared to the weber 32/36.

i actually need to take my blower motor out too. im not sure on the actual procedure, there are green books available online for free viewing. ill have to look for the link.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Do you think the problem is that after sitting the fuel drains back to the tank and has to be pumped back up? Would a little one-way valve fix that? More importantly would it catch fire lol?



I'm going to try cleaning the switches in the doors tonight. I remember them being really hard to push in when I let looked into this problem. I know the fuse and bulb I are both good. The switches are the only remaining part of the system.

Regarding the heater, when I hit the heater switch the lights momentarily dim so that leads me to believe that the switch is good, the motor just can't overcome the restriction from being gummed up. Iirc the motor is at the top of the heater stuff behind the dash. Is there an easy way to access it? I did the heater core on my 780 and this looks a lot easier but if you have any pointers I would love them.

Thanks guys!
NO_SPRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #192
NO_SPRK
ihazkoolaid
 
NO_SPRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca
Default

DO IT! i drove my 144 to IPD last year. It did great! if i go this year i hope to have the 145 done so i can camp out 1 night on the way up & down. if not maybe just drive the 144 or 855.

IE: i wouldnt consider davis FAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
I'm almost ready for a longer trip... IPD would be a little ambitious but I could see Davis if some local Volvo friends were up for it.
NO_SPRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #193
AG142
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Do you think the problem is that after sitting the fuel drains back to the tank and has to be pumped back up? Would a little one-way valve fix that? More importantly would it catch fire lol?
I'm gonna say yes, when mine sits for a week it'll start right up and burn whatever's in the bowl, then die until you crank new fuel through the lines. A check valve should be just fine to remedy the problem. All my carb'd scooters use a check valve to prevent this so I assume you'll be fine(this is my first carb'd car). I can tell because I ran my tank dry once and it's about the same 20-30 seconds of cranking until fuel gets back up there.

Love this build, keep it up.
AG142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #194
Coupid
Board Member
 
Coupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_SPRK View Post
DO IT! i drove my 144 to IPD last year. It did great! if i go this year i hope to have the 145 done so i can camp out 1 night on the way up & down. if not maybe just drive the 144 or 855.

IE: i wouldnt consider davis FAR
Does the 144 have an OD? Davis is like 5 hours from here so I would feel bad for all that high RPM cruising. The car would probably be fine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG142 View Post
I'm gonna say yes, when mine sits for a week it'll start right up and burn whatever's in the bowl, then die until you crank new fuel through the lines. A check valve should be just fine to remedy the problem. All my carb'd scooters use a check valve to prevent this so I assume you'll be fine(this is my first carb'd car). I can tell because I ran my tank dry once and it's about the same 20-30 seconds of cranking until fuel gets back up there.

Love this build, keep it up.
I might go ahead and try this, the car gets driven 3 times a week max so it would be easier on the car if it fired right up.
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #195
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Does the 144 have an OD? Davis is like 5 hours from here so I would feel bad for all that high RPM cruising. The car would probably be fine though.
No OD and he had real short tires as well.

B20's love to spin, but make a lot of noise.
__________________
Raise The Lowered


Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:54 PM   #196
Coupid
Board Member
 
Coupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
No OD and he had real short tires as well.

B20's love to spin, but make a lot of noise.
What would you feel comfortable cruising at all day? 3500 seemed to be fine yesterday. What is the max you would rev the engine to?



As soon as I wrote that I went out and looked at the car. After sitting for a day there is still gas in the clear fuel filter by the fuel pump. I will check it on Wednesday and see if that has retreated back towards the tank.

NO_SPRK was absolutely right about the door switches, after lubricating and manipulating them back and forth the dome light comes on for the first time since I bought the car! Thanks man.


I think I'll be cruising ebay looking for nicer ones but at least I know where the problem is now.




I love fixing nagging little issues like that!
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #197
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Aptos, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
I'm going to try cleaning the switches in the doors tonight. I remember them being really hard to push in when I let looked into this problem. I know the fuse and bulb I are both good. The switches are the only remaining part of the system.

Regarding the heater, when I hit the heater switch the lights momentarily dim so that leads me to believe that the switch is good, the motor just can't overcome the restriction from being gummed up. Iirc the motor is at the top of the heater stuff behind the dash. Is there an easy way to access it? I did the heater core on my 780 and this looks a lot easier but if you have any pointers I would love them.

Thanks guys!
Glad the switch thing worked out for the doors. Feels almost like a new car now, right?

As for the heater, it's not as much of a pain as in any newer car, but it's still a hassle. The blower sits right on top of the heater core housing, and it's wedged in between the hole in the cowl, and the heater core. My '68 142 with no AC has a vertically split heater core housing, so you can remove the front part of it, leave the core, and snake the blower out from the front. I did it in about 20 minutes last time.

My '70 144, which had factory AC, has a horizontally split housing, so in order to get to the blower, you have to drain the coolant and pull the whole heater core/blower as a unit. It's substantially more work than on the non-AC car.

Good luck!
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:23 AM   #198
Coupid
Board Member
 
Coupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
No OD and he had real short tires as well.

B20's love to spin, but make a lot of noise.
I always try to shift around 4000rpm because it gets loud. On the freeway I cruise around 3500rpm. Are you saying that I could bump both those arbitrary self-imposed limits up? What's the highest you would rev a stock B20?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
Glad the switch thing worked out for the doors. Feels almost like a new car now, right?

As for the heater, it's not as much of a pain as in any newer car, but it's still a hassle. The blower sits right on top of the heater core housing, and it's wedged in between the hole in the cowl, and the heater core. My '68 142 with no AC has a vertically split heater core housing, so you can remove the front part of it, leave the core, and snake the blower out from the front. I did it in about 20 minutes last time.

My '70 144, which had factory AC, has a horizontally split housing, so in order to get to the blower, you have to drain the coolant and pull the whole heater core/blower as a unit. It's substantially more work than on the non-AC car.

Good luck!
It does feel brand new now, nothing more depressing than getting in a pitch black car.

My car has the horizontally split housing even though it doesn't have AC. Maybe its an old vs new 140 thing? I'll save that project for a long weekend when I am feeling really inspired!
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:58 AM   #199
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng
 
amerbritcan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eastern Ontario
Default

I used to mercilessly rev my pv. It loved it. Obviously that's a b18 but still. Day-to day do what feels comfortable, but definitely don't be afraid of pushing those limits.
__________________
1990 745tic
1984 244DL (parts)
1989 245 slicktop M47 drift missile- ratty as hell
1967 220 amazon station wagon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:20 AM   #200
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
I always try to shift around 4000rpm because it gets loud. On the freeway I cruise around 3500rpm. Are you saying that I could bump both those arbitrary self-imposed limits up? What's the highest you would rev a stock B20?



It does feel brand new now, nothing more depressing than getting in a pitch black car.

My car has the horizontally split housing even though it doesn't have AC. Maybe its an old vs new 140 thing? I'll save that project for a long weekend when I am feeling really inspired!
I buried the needle down the Yuba gap in the 70 145 BW35 / 430:1's.

Over 7K rpm I think the valves floated.
Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.