• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kenny's 1990 740 GLE, goin' for 9's

nah. block #1 is up on the bench. Will be filling-possibly today, but sometime this weekend. considerations: cooling system for head/top of block. will be worked out.
Also, re-use old pistons (that look more or less fine) or get a new set. options options.

It's sunday. work slippage yesterday (general malaise in the afternoon, family stuff in the morning). Today though. Today we start down the fill path in earnest.

1.25 to 1.5 inches from the deck. I'll know for sure when it's done setting up. The instructions say to give it 24 hours, I'll let it sit for a few days (What's a few days at this point anyway?). Need to order up the bmw squirters I reckon as well; and call weisco & see what kind of clearances I need for the pistons in a filled block.

it's still drying/setting up (took the tape and plate off the lower wp hole to see what's up, it was still moist but hard), may have put a little too much in there vs what I intended, but it should still work out fine. some creative plumbing will no doubt ensue.

probably pretty dry now. playing plotting scheming to commence regarding cooling. The fill was a little higher than I initially wanted it to be, however, a cursory test reveals that air (and by proxy, water) should flow around the tops just fine.

What I've seen/read about from the swedes is running the water lines from a "manifold" into the block beneath each cylinder. The return path to the top of the radiator (reckon now I can probably get one of those honda radiators now like all the cool guys) will require some consideration, and I'll have to plug off the return to the top of the pump, but that should be fairly easy. (thinking tap and pipe plug).

mockup time to get a gauge for spacing out the coolant pipe/log/whatevs that I'll be using in conjunction with block-o fill-o. Will also be working an oil cooler into the setup, and that should keep things cool enough for what I do with the car (which is drag race it primarily with an occasional cruise). Lookin' at what the swedes do, it's apparently not as big of a deal as I've made it out to be in my mind.

anyway, PICS!
166541172.jpg

the spinning thing just because, need to know where things are.
166541173.jpg

space!
166541175.jpg

mallet for reference
166541174.jpg

Not sure yet what size fittings I need to drill/tap into the block, I think no more than 1/2in really since I'll have more control over the speed/volume of water going through the system (as well as pressure). fuuun times. Not sure what fittings I want to use yet, there is an appeal in having everything more or less easily serviceable, but a whole gang of AN **** would be spendy as well. Rubber use will be as minimal as possible though, just in case :lol:

Have you looked at Technafit's catalog for fittings and adapters? They're a fraction of the cost of Earl's and are high quality. I use them for everything these days. Oil, clutch, brakes, power steering, whatever.

Have you looked at Technafit's catalog for fittings and adapters? They're a fraction of the cost of Earl's and are high quality. I use them for everything these days. Oil, clutch, brakes, power steering, whatever.

never heard of em. that's a nifty site, thanks for the heads up!

kicking rocks again.
167377573.jpg

did that a few weeks ago, but life has been... hectic (and customer work takes priority).
got a hit in to weisco to get the ptwc numbers for the filled block, then it can go to the machine shop and get punched and skimmed. Need to get started on the cylinder head next.

finally got off my dead ass and got ahold of the folks at weisco (after sitting on hold for what seemed like an unusually long period of time), got the info I needed. not too bad, said for a filled block with those pistons, an extra thou to thou point five. so, the recommended clearance was 0035, so a bump to 0045 to 005.
bouta order new rangz and I reckon cart the block over to the machine shop with the new info.

hashtag progress hashtag maybe.

Four to five thou will be easily heard. Lol.

This will be amusing.

probably not over the up pipe. I think it was 35 or 4 last time anyway haha.

rangz ordered. we finna do this thing (for about 10 minutes, and then it'll sit for a month haha)

Back