• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1996 940 2.3 Sport Edition Turbo 15G 850 turbocharger upgrade

Vlaamz

The Turbo in my 940 has given up on me and im looking to change it. I have been reading online and it looks possible to put a the turbo from an 850 T5 (15G) onto my engine with minimal modifications. Although there seems to be a few threads saying its been done there are as many saying other things. I dont want to massively modify the engine but it would be nice to but a bigger turbo on.

Any help and knowledge would be greatful.

You?re going to have to reclock it to fit. Also, find a stronger wastegate actuator if you want to up the boost, the 850 jobs are made of soft cheese.

Read:http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83929

Thats what i was looking for! From what i read, I understand it will need reclocking for RWD. Thanks for the link.

I quite new to all this what do you mean by made of soft cheese? Is the turbo not up to much then? I have a MBC on mine now and would look to keep it on with the new turbo.

The Turbo in my 940 has given up on me and im looking to change it. I have been reading online and it looks possible to put a the turbo from an 850 T5 (15G) onto my engine with minimal modifications. Although there seems to be a few threads saying its been done there are as many saying other things. I dont want to massively modify the engine but it would be nice to but a bigger turbo on.

Any help and knowledge would be greatful.

You need to source a 15g with a conical turbine housing. This is the only way to avoid modifying the down pipe. The stock waste gate actuator is fine but if you want boost to be reliable, you can source an actuator from a volvo t3 turbo. It will work with minimal modification.

You'll also need a manual boost controller and a boost gauge. LH 2.4 will allow you to hit 12 psi before you inevitably hit fuel cut.

I quite new to all this what do you mean by made of soft cheese? Is the turbo not up to much then? I have a MBC on mine now and would look to keep it on with the new turbo.

It has been said that the waste gate actuator from the 850 has a weaker spring.

Also, I hope your luck is better than mine because the only 850R I’ve come across yarding was a spider infested ‘96, the year before the switch, and had the flat flanged 13g.

You don't necessarily need a conical 15G.

Just put the 15G wheel and compressor housing on your existing hotside and rotating assembly. Rebuild it if necessary. This is easy and cheap.

You can perfectly use the stock WG actuator from your 940. Make a new bracket for it, as your compressor housing needs to be clocked.

Stock 850 WG actuator is also fine, unless you have very low exhaust back pressure (open 3 inch downpipe for example). Then it will show 0.1-0.2bar boost creep.

It has been said that the waste gate actuator from the 850 has a weaker spring.

Also, I hope your luck is better than mine because the only 850R I?ve come across yarding was a spider infested ?96, the year before the switch, and had the flat flanged 13g.

15G's are as thick as kelp flies in our yards.

Back