• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

A couple ?s regarding AW70 -> T5 swap

Coliningus

That Guy
I'm part of the way through the AW70 to T5 (got the clutch assembly in last night), and I have a couple of lingering questions specific to the automatic to manual swap:

1. What size thread are the transmission cooling lines on the side of the radiator? I'm planning to grab a couple nylon plugs ahead of time to seal em up.

2. Can anyone confirm their wiring colors for the reverse lights and neutral safety switch on the automatic?

3. There was a hole for the clutch pedal assembly, at the top of the firewall but it was filled with this spackle crap and a nylon pin that I accidentally sheared the head off of. Any good ideas on how to clean this out without taking out the pedal assembly?

TIA

I don't know anything about that spackling... I didn't have it on my auto-T5 swap. I obv just drilled a hole. I'd assume you could hit it with a wire brush on a drill? Prob need a right angle drill though. I did all my drilling from the engine bay inward.

For the trans cooling lines on the radiator, I recommend using brass caps (what I did anyway). I believe it's 5/16" female I can't find my order for it now though, but I remember thinking that was smaller than I thought. They fit tight and snug though.

Regarding the wiring colors for the reverse lights. It seems as though there were different options for certain cars. I found a thread that had pics of it, but what I ultimately did was pulled the pie wedge out of the auto shifter, and pried it open. Then I just followed which connections went where in what gear and that's how I found my reverse and starter circuit wires. This thread should help be confusing. Also, in case you didn't know... (I didn't) the T5 has a neat little reverse wire plug that fits over those two screws perfectly. I was trying to find their thread pitch and this and that and it was impossible. Then someone was like uhhh... just use the plug and I'm like O_O

Excellent info thanks for the reply. For the neutral safety thing I was trying to make sure I had all the available info but I'll ultimately just tear into and see what it's about like you did. And fortunately I do have that reverse light pigtail ready to go

FWIW I bought a synthetic sponge and cut it into a U shape to cram around the shifter under the boot (after I ran the wires) to keep the noise/drafts out. I have the OG foam, but it was so tattered. I just did the swap this past year. I can prob help with other crap.

Back