• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kenny's 1990 740 GLE, goin' for 9's

That sounds like the stuff we see here at work. Equipment sits for 2-3 months, and the fuel system is full of nasty , foul smelling shizer. We use a product called Startron here, but then again, I'm working with tiny engines.

they're loud in a parking lot at low speed, but they work fairly well. I used one for a while. much better than just welding the diff.

clutch in when coasting... I ran mine when the 90 still had a t5 in it. When it went back to an auto (actually, when I finally beat the pinion bearings out of the diff) I swapped another rear axle in with a welded diff and sold the locker to a jeep guy. that was back in... like 07?

took one of the filters apart to see what's up (and what a joke that is, I'll be into it for better filters going forward), more of the same cruddy ****. need to see if it's something that can be dissolved, because I know it's not foreign objects getting into the system, rather it's gas that's drying out or the alcohol separating out.

If I can't get that to dissolve, I'll be into it for the entire fuel system, and depending on cleaning it could shelf the project for a while as I try and sort out other aspects around the house/property (read:shop).

BITCHES!

no updates yet, but soon. Tentatively penciled in a fuel system overhaul/cleanup for this weekend (mainly the pumps and filters and surge tank, the lines are clean. double checking the injectors too).

since the yard is a mess and will be for likely the next few months, I'm going to see about getting a leg up on some of the plans I set aside a year ago, so look for more updates.

thats one way to do it, I'm more concerned with trash having gotten washed into the filter baskets again

as somewhat suspected, fuel system crudded up with ****. well, gel actually, but same overall effect.

after poking around the 'net looking for something that can easily dissolve this **** (which seems to have shown up because I swapped from e85 back to regular gas for the winter and I guess let things sit for a couple of weeks). Not much was available other than ultrasonic cleaning (don't have one, and certain components probably wouldn't fit anyway), and that was generally more for small carbs anyway. piss. What I came away with was allegedly: Simple green will deal with it, isopropyl alcohol will deal with it, carb cleaner should deal with it. I had two of the three, and a few other options (paint thinner, penetrating oil, wd-40, brake cleaner, goo be gone, premixed ethanol free gasoline)
Results:

Simple green - marginally effective, perhaps in the aforementioned ultrasonic cleaner with hot water..
Pre-mixed gas - nothing
paint thinner - marginal to nothing
goo be gone - marginal
brake parts cleaner - marginal and due mostly to pressure in the can
isopropyl alcohol - somewhat surprisingly, nothing
wd-40 - nothing
penetrating oil - nothing

Was about to load up and go to the parts store to load up on some other options (Seafoam, actual carb cleaner, perhaps some other stuff depending). Then I remembered I had about a gallon or so of old e85 in a gas jug. Thought what the hell, why not. It worked fairly amazingly. So the injectors went in my vibratory cleaner (not ultrasonic, really more for nuts and bolts, but in a pinch..), and the pumps were individually set down in a coffee can with fuel and a hose looped back in. worked like a champ.

tomorrow I'm going to get some more fresh e85 and run it through everything as well as putting a bunch in the tank and looping the pump in there as well.

incidentally, if you let things sit and dry out for a few weeks, you can also just tap whatever it is that was clogged against something (say, a metal table), and the stuff falls off in a little sand-like pile.

So, didn't burn the house down today. injectors were nasty even after blowing them out. this was born out when I rigged up a test bench and manually triggered them, good spray pattern for a second, not so good, then trickle. So, out with the filter baskets, run some carb cleaner through em whilst triggering, new baskets, new orings, re-test, good spray pattern across the board (btw, 1600cc injectors or whatever the **** they are, move a LOT of fuel in a hurry). pumped as much fuel out of the tank as I could(only about a gallon or so left in it after all the other stuff previously tried), not great, but not bad. tank did not appear to have a bunch of **** in it, pump didn't falter until the level got low and it audibly started sucking air.

in went 3.5 gallons of fresh E, I looped the outlet to the return and let it circulate for a few minutes (the ol 255 moves a good bit o fuel with no regulator holding it back ;) ), ran about a gallon into a clear bucket, slight yellow tint (you never get all the old gas out), but no bad/stale smells, no crud, and no reduction in flow out the hose. re-assembled the back half of the fuel system (with the 044's cleaned out and moving their normal ****ton of fuel), filled the surge tank, purged the line that feeds the rail (little bit of crud, nothing serious). put the rail and injectors back in, and purged the regulator and return line, return line had a bunch of nasty **** in it. drained the surge tank as best possible (don't want a gallon of fuel dumping into the trunk and back seat of the car), hooked return back up, pushed the car out of it's hole, hooked the jumper cables up, had to re-seat the main ground (starter wouldn't do anything), and it light right off. Currently it has a couple gallons of fresh e85, and 5 gallons of fresh 93.

From now on we'll run it more frequently and longer lol. need to get some tires for it so I can drive it again, the maypops have separated internally and.. well, yeah.

Question is, do I get tires for the 16in wheels on the other 940, or the 17in nissan wheels currently on it.

oh, and video.
https://youtu.be/n0XzLZcID6Q

if i recall you have had this happen a few times. do you ever put fuel stabilizer in it> or is that no combatable with e85? id say get new tires for the 16s assuming that the daily and kepp your eye our for some decent used 17s since they are way more common

if i recall you have had this happen a few times. do you ever put fuel stabilizer in it> or is that no combatable with e85? id say get new tires for the 16s assuming that the daily and kepp your eye our for some decent used 17s since they are way more common

the last time I had issues with the fuel system it was because it sat open for around a year and a half, and water got into one of the pumps and rusted it up-I failed to drain it. The previous bout with this iteration back around thanksgiving was just a precursor to the big show this weekend (as in, I didn't realize the extent of the issue and cleaning the injectors out back then didn't do anything for me as they immediately clogged back up), same issue, just unresolved the first time due to lack of understanding of scope. I'd rather avoid stabilizers and other stuff, I just need to be more on top of things going forward.

anyway, the 16in wheels in question are on the next shell, not the DD.
155185187.jpg

So, didn't burn the house down today. injectors were nasty even after blowing them out. this was born out when I rigged up a test bench and manually triggered them, good spray pattern for a second, not so good, then trickle. So, out with the filter baskets, run some carb cleaner through em whilst triggering, new baskets, new orings, re-test, good spray pattern across the board (btw, 1600cc injectors or whatever the **** they are, move a LOT of fuel in a hurry). pumped as much fuel out of the tank as I could(only about a gallon or so left in it after all the other stuff previously tried), not great, but not bad. tank did not appear to have a bunch of **** in it, pump didn't falter until the level got low and it audibly started sucking air.

in went 3.5 gallons of fresh E, I looped the outlet to the return and let it circulate for a few minutes (the ol 255 moves a good bit o fuel with no regulator holding it back ;) ), ran about a gallon into a clear bucket, slight yellow tint (you never get all the old gas out), but no bad/stale smells, no crud, and no reduction in flow out the hose. re-assembled the back half of the fuel system (with the 044's cleaned out and moving their normal ****ton of fuel), filled the surge tank, purged the line that feeds the rail (little bit of crud, nothing serious). put the rail and injectors back in, and purged the regulator and return line, return line had a bunch of nasty **** in it. drained the surge tank as best possible (don't want a gallon of fuel dumping into the trunk and back seat of the car), hooked return back up, pushed the car out of it's hole, hooked the jumper cables up, had to re-seat the main ground (starter wouldn't do anything), and it light right off. Currently it has a couple gallons of fresh e85, and 5 gallons of fresh 93.

From now on we'll run it more frequently and longer lol. need to get some tires for it so I can drive it again, the maypops have separated internally and.. well, yeah.

Question is, do I get tires for the 16in wheels on the other 940, or the 17in nissan wheels currently on it.

oh, and video.
https://youtu.be/n0XzLZcID6Q

Is this thing idling at 2000 RPM? :-P

Back