home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > article composition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2015, 04:17 AM   #701
Estoque
Board Member
 
Estoque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Twente, Holland
Default

Coilover Noob incomming, so be prepared :D

My 242 Turbo needs to be lower, better handling and some adjustability would be awesome, so i need Coilovers.

Being a broke-ass student running a 245 Turbo daily (with gasprices of €1,60/liter) and a commute of 60km's every day it hard on my money, but Volvo-life is everything for me :D
i don't have a whole lof of money to spend on buying them, but building them would save me some money (i can go Bilstein shocks/ IPD loweringsprings, but i like coilovers better)

Can anyone of you give me a list of which dampers to buy and where i can find the perches? The problem for me is i live in Holland, and shipping everything from the USA to here will cost me a lot.
Shipping some parts is not a problem, but if i can buy things over here would be nice.

I see some of you using Buick/chrysler inserts etc, but over here in Europe we don't have a lot of those cars, so spares are expensive/not to find.

What i want:
- 2" to 3" lowering all around
- better handling
- some camber adjustment
- Quality Dampers and components
__________________
Compensate bad aerodynamics with BST - Volvo 245 B230FT Turbo

Last edited by Estoque; 09-15-2015 at 04:32 AM..
Estoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:48 AM   #702
MadDog_945
Vga Vgra 8V
 
MadDog_945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lower Saxony
Default

Can you fab them on your own?

Btw.. those 4 points together wont work when spending Money is a problem ;)
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:10 AM   #703
classicswede
Volvo upgrades
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Wales
Default

I stock a lot of lowering parts for the 200. Take a look at my website and shipping from the UK is not so bad.

You cant have teh 4 things above cheap but it does not have to cost the earth either
__________________
http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #704
Estoque
Board Member
 
Estoque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Twente, Holland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
Can you fab them on your own?

Btw.. those 4 points together wont work when spending Money is a problem ;)
i've a welder and ain't afraid to use it :P.. And yes, i've the tools to create those coilovers myself, just need the right components like springs etc..


I know with the limited resources that i have, i can't build the ultimate setup, but a "basic" coilover set, will outperform the most expensive loweringsprings. i think i can build a good coilover with 800 - 1000 euro's.

what i need is a good shock insert with good availibility in Europe.. any ideas. and which springs do i need for a 3" drop.
Estoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #705
kyote
Ridin' High & Sittin' Low
 
kyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: La Porte TX
Default

It amazes me that this thread is still kicking. TB love!
__________________
-78 242 tic, a kyotefab/willettrun joint
-91 244 Daily, Air Conditioned (For Sale!)
-14 F150 FX4 3.5 EcoBeast
-15 Honda Fit LX
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:07 AM   #706
MadDog_945
Vga Vgra 8V
 
MadDog_945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lower Saxony
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoque View Post
i've a welder and ain't afraid to use it :P.. And yes, i've the tools to create those coilovers myself, just need the right components like springs etc..


I know with the limited resources that i have, i can't build the ultimate setup, but a "basic" coilover set, will outperform the most expensive loweringsprings. i think i can build a good coilover with 800 - 1000 euro's.

what i need is a good shock insert with good availibility in Europe.. any ideas. and which springs do i need for a 3" drop.
look at my Racecar thread

@ Kyote.. this Thread is about slamming old Volvos to the ground.. it's kicking until every single bit has transformed in FerrooxideIII :D
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #707
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoque View Post
Coilover Noob incomming, so be prepared :D

My 242 Turbo needs to be lower, better handling and some adjustability would be awesome, so i need Coilovers.

Being a broke-ass student running a 245 Turbo daily (with gasprices of 1,60/liter) and a commute of 60km's every day it hard on my money, but Volvo-life is everything for me :D
i don't have a whole lof of money to spend on buying them, but building them would save me some money (i can go Bilstein shocks/ IPD loweringsprings, but i like coilovers better)

Can anyone of you give me a list of which dampers to buy and where i can find the perches? The problem for me is i live in Holland, and shipping everything from the USA to here will cost me a lot.
Shipping some parts is not a problem, but if i can buy things over here would be nice.

I see some of you using Buick/chrysler inserts etc, but over here in Europe we don't have a lot of those cars, so spares are expensive/not to find.

What i want:
- 2" to 3" lowering all around
- better handling
- some camber adjustment
- Quality Dampers and components
http://www.kaplhenke.com/collections/240
__________________
www.BEIGEPOWER.com
Kaplhenke Racing Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:56 AM   #708
XeLou06
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Default

Hi Everybody !

Sorry for my bad english i'm from France

I read de 29 pages of this topic but I need to kwon the part number of Saab 9-3 or 900 struts, because , for the moment I don't have enough compression travel, every big bump it's a problem

My setup

stock-length struts
Kalphenke coilovers kit with 8x350lbs Eibach springs on front

The only solution to drop more it's to cut my struts, but I need to have the good part number of Saab struts before cut, the Koni's it's to expensive for my utilisation

Here you can see a picture of my brick with good level, but I need to cut the struts to have a good riding with enough compression travel








Here for after with my Tramont wheels




Thanks from France !
XeLou06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #709
moise
Board Member
 
moise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: France
Default

tiens mec!

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ort+struts+240
moise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #710
centason
Knipex=welfare queen
 
centason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft.Mill, SC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeLou06 View Post
Hi Everybody !

Sorry for my bad english i'm from France

I read de 29 pages of this topic but I need to kwon the part number of Saab 9-3 or 900 struts, because , for the moment I don't have enough compression travel, every big bump it's a problem

My setup

stock-length struts
Kalphenke coilovers kit with 8x350lbs Eibach springs on front

The only solution to drop more it's to cut my struts, but I need to have the good part number of Saab struts before cut, the Koni's it's to expensive for my utilisation

Here you can see a picture of my brick with good level, but I need to cut the struts to have a good riding with enough compression travel








Here for after with my Tramont wheels




Thanks from France !
Dat wood...
__________________
Member: TBCCS
"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it. -H.L. Mencken
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Yes, but I keep having the dream of shoving the Cocaine up my ass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgothan View Post
Ohh god no, I'd rather eat hot diarrhea than drive a 7/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history. Any forums history.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:51 AM   #711
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default

I'm pretty sure I used these...

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/saa...ge-900-pe33093

Regardless, the needed to be revalved...they're stock something like 180/90 and a DIGRESSIVE rate piston...

I went 360/130 and had the piston swapped to a LINEAR rate to accompany my 350lbs springs
Mylesofsmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #712
Gary244
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

I have read through this and have started ordering stuff... im from northern ireland and have a good knowledge of cars but im struggling to grasp what everyone means by spring perch.. is this bolted to the body of the vehicle where the spring rests? Has anyone any better pictures of the volvo perchs?
Thanks in advance
Gary244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #713
MrBrown
You like popsicles?
 
MrBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default

Page 1 describes everything.
__________________
GhettoFab build thrizzie
MrBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #714
Tuff240
240 Ninja
 
Tuff240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary244 View Post
I have read through this and have started ordering stuff... im from northern ireland and have a good knowledge of cars but im struggling to grasp what everyone means by spring perch.. is this bolted to the body of the vehicle where the spring rests? Has anyone any better pictures of the volvo perchs?
Thanks in advance
spring perch = spring seat

It's the part the spring sits on.
__________________

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #715
Gary244
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
spring perch = spring seat

It's the part the spring sits on.
Thanks pal! Clears that up for me
Gary244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:19 AM   #716
MadDog_945
Vga Vgra 8V
 
MadDog_945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lower Saxony
Default

Has anyone tried to level this 1up and cut a thread on a thickwalled tube and weld that to the spindle?

I am wondering what tubing should be used for this. Havent found any shop which sells stainless with good wallthickness except for 60,3 x 3mm
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #717
centason
Knipex=welfare queen
 
centason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft.Mill, SC
Default

Kaplhenke does new tubes for the higher priced coilovers. May want to PM him for details. It will more than likely need to be machined to fit.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #718
MadDog_945
Vga Vgra 8V
 
MadDog_945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lower Saxony
Default

yeah... i dont find it that adequate to ask ppl who make a living out of it for details to "copy" their stuff ;)
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #719
centason
Knipex=welfare queen
 
centason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft.Mill, SC
Default

Well, you're asking about pipe size, not asking for a file to copy, which would contain proprietary information. Pipe size is pipe size. You machine the OD and ID until you get the desired results. If keeping a pipe size a secret is a big deal, then you may need to measure.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #720
MadDog_945
Vga Vgra 8V
 
MadDog_945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lower Saxony
Default

bing.. yep.. i must admit that i dont wanted to get my lazy ass in the shop,hoped for someone who knows so i can order... ;)
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #721
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
bing.. yep.. i must admit that i dont wanted to get my lazy ass in the shop,hoped for someone who knows so i can order... ;)
I have machined reinforced housing tubes I can sell if you are interested. It would be a DIY install with welding etc...
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:41 AM   #722
MadDog_945
Vga Vgra 8V
 
MadDog_945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lower Saxony
Default

hi, yeah i saw those in your shop but only in package with strut inserts. are you willing to sell them separately? are there threads machined for the factory glandnut?
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #723
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
hi, yeah i saw those in your shop but only in package with strut inserts. are you willing to sell them separately? are there threads machined for the factory glandnut?
Yes, i can sell them separately. Yes, inside is machined for factory gland nuts.
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.