LC4CARL
Aero challenged

OMG! That ain't no Redblock.
Life begins at 10PSI.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:19 PM   #352
Sander
Good news everyone!

That's kind of what I'm aiming for with the sound, to get a real V12 howl.

Finally got the adapter I needed for my new micro Tig torch to fit my machine. Welded 2 of the 4 manifolds today. It works great, although it's a pita to do. The joint where the runners slide into the collectors that needed to be welded is about 10cm into the collector and the hole is pretty small to work from, so you can only ever see what you're welding with 1 eye at the time, so no depth perception. But it worked, should be nice and air tight now.

And my ghetto backpurging setup (which is now on the outside as I'm welding the inside), but it did the trick.

Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:43 AM   #353
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Mine is bigger

It is btw the big Brother of yours.. celtic 20 mk2

Last edited by MadDog_945; 04-02-2019 at 08:20 AM..
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #354
Swedbrick
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post
Finally got the adapter I needed for my new micro Tig torch to fit my machine. Welded 2 of the 4 manifolds today. It works great, although it's a pita to do. The joint where the runners slide into the collectors that needed to be welded is about 10cm into the collector and the hole is pretty small to work from, so you can only ever see what you're welding with 1 eye at the time, so no depth perception. But it worked, should be nice and air tight now.

That's still a pretty tight fit, but crazy access, reminds me of why I need to get myself a TIG Nice work as usual on the headers!

Any projects completed on the new awesome lathe yet?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:52 AM   #355
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedbrick View Post
That's still a pretty tight fit, but crazy access, reminds me of why I need to get myself a TIG Nice work as usual on the headers!

Any projects completed on the new awesome lathe yet?
Thanks! No not much yet, didn't have time lately for anything but I should have some time finally next week. Hope I can finally make a bit of progress there
Old 05-07-2019, 01:59 AM   #356
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
Thanks! No not much yet, didn't have time lately for anything but I should have some time finally next week. Hope I can finally make a bit of progress there
Progress updates, can't wait!!!!!
- 1990 744 16v (pegleg drift can)
- 1992 480 (Renault disaster)

- 1989 745 16v
- 1991 744 (SE) 16v Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordmaschine View Post
Try to recreate and see what happens, our crystall ball servers are currrently down.
JerryJS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #357
Sander
Good news everyone!

Finally could do something. Welded the remaining 2 collectors on the inside, welded the runners to the flanges on the inside too and then ground the mounting surface flat again. Then I welded an extension for the secondaries to clamp onto and finally installed them. I hope they don't have to come off again as they are a pita to install. All other progress was sort of depending on this They needed to be on the car to do the rest that has to route around it etc. All ancillaries can now be installed too. Next up is everything else under the hood.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #358
Sander
Good news everyone!

Got started on the radiator. I would've liked to use the stock S600 one, but it is too wide to fit between the Volvo frame rails so I got an Ebay one with a nicely sized core and a trans cooler and modified it. It's for a Chevy Nova I think, it has an integrated coolant resevoir and cap which I don't like so I modded it to work with an expansion tank. Cut a bit off of the large side and added some to the weird small side. I also made new correctly sized inlet and outlet fittings on it. The stock ones where a lot smaller than the ones on the engine. I still have to add the little hose fitting that goes to the expansion tank. I cut away the stock Volvo radiator mounts and will mount this one between the headlights, about 60mm further forward than stock. This gives me enough space for a decent fan behind it. The S600 oil cooler will live in front of it and fits exactly behind the air intakes in the front air dam.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:36 PM   #359
Vol242vo
Board Member

I’m really looking forward to hearing this thing run. Can’t imagine how fun it’s going to be to drive.

Derek - 1980 242
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:15 AM   #360
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

whoa.. nice tig alu skills.. i still need to improve mine
Old 05-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #361
Sander
Good news everyone!

The radiator is in, it's mounted on 4 of these rubber vibration damper things. The top ones are mounted to this plastic panel between the headlights. I moved it forward about 10cm compared to stock so now there is enough space for a fan. Should also still be enough space to add the ac condenser. The oil cooler will live in front of it all at the bottom, behind the air intakes in the front air dam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
I’m really looking forward to hearing this thing run. Can’t imagine how fun it’s going to be to drive.
Yeah me too, it's progressing a lot slower than I would like at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
whoa.. nice tig alu skills.. i still need to improve mine
Thanks, still have a lot of room for improvement too
Old 05-22-2019, 04:16 AM   #362
rijk
Board Member

Default Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
+1. But untill that moment I immensely enjoying the amazing engineering and fabrication skills of Sander. Regarding the resources at his disposal. After reading his last posting I wonder what obstacles he will encounter next. It seems like no obstacle is too high to overcome. Not the destination but the journey and all the victories on the way. Silent with admiration...
Old 05-23-2019, 04:54 AM   #363
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Flux capacitor... ;)

That one time, he stood on the toilet to change the batteries in his dumphouseclock ;)
Old 05-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #364
tomasss
Board Member

Quote:
Concentrated insanity... just quietly watching your fabricating skills and loving it.
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
I would rather push a 240 than drive a V70.
lazy PRV engine? Check >this< out
tomasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #365
jmc0369
Board Member

Truly Magnificent!

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; only ourselves can free our minds" - you know who!

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" - Jidu Krishnamurti
jmc0369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #366
code5150

Default New to forum I have a V12 in my 240z project.

Quote:
The radiator is in, it's mounted on 4 of these rubber vibration damper things. The top ones are mounted to this plastic panel between the headlights. I moved it forward about 10cm compared to stock so now there is enough space for a fan. Should also still be enough space to add the ac condenser. The oil cooler will live in front of it all at the bottom, behind the air intakes in the front air dam.

Yeah me too, it's progressing a lot slower than I would like at the moment.

Thanks, still have a lot of room for improvement too

I have some pictures if you'd like. I decided to run to Nissan ECU's, and still deciding on the transmission, I have a AMG55, a Hemi v8 (with a MB M104 V12 bell housing, and a 1997 S60, and a T56 Magnum. I have enough space to run radiator and electric fans, and most of the engine is behind the strut towers (maybe a foot over). I have Gt500 14" disc's on the front and BMW 330mm vented on the back, also have brembo's from the newer Mercedes S600. I am running a R200 VLSD for now with 3.57:1 i think, 18"x9.5" wheels.

https://www.instagram.com/mdccode515...JR-J-yq4pUOFDM

code5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #367
code5150

I installed a Mercedes S600 V12 M120 in my 240z I have some pictures if you'd like. I decided to run to Nissan ECU's, and still deciding on the transmission, I have a AMG55, a Hemi v8 (with a MB M104 V12 bell housing, and a 1997 S600, and a T56 Magnum. I have enough space to run radiator and electric fans, and most of the engine is behind the strut towers (maybe a foot over). I have Gt500 14" disc's on the front and BMW 330mm vented on the back, also have brembo's from the newer Mercedes S600. I am running a R200 VLSD for now with 3.57:1 i think, 18"x9.5" wheels. It looks like we did the mounts the same, also not to make you jealous, but the oil pan exactly fit the contour of the crossmember.

code5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:53 PM   #368
JohnLane
Board Member

Sander I'm eager to see/listen to this one!
Old 07-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #369
Sander
Good news everyone!

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by code5150 View Post
I have some pictures if you'd like. I decided to run to Nissan ECU's, and still deciding on the transmission, I have a AMG55, a Hemi v8 (with a MB M104 V12 bell housing, and a 1997 S60, and a T56 Magnum. I have enough space to run radiator and electric fans, and most of the engine is behind the strut towers (maybe a foot over). I have Gt500 14" disc's on the front and BMW 330mm vented on the back, also have brembo's from the newer Mercedes S600. I am running a R200 VLSD for now with 3.57:1 i think, 18"x9.5" wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by code5150 View Post
I installed a Mercedes S600 V12 M120 in my 240z I have some pictures if you'd like. I decided to run to Nissan ECU's, and still deciding on the transmission, I have a AMG55, a Hemi v8 (with a MB M104 V12 bell housing, and a 1997 S600, and a T56 Magnum. I have enough space to run radiator and electric fans, and most of the engine is behind the strut towers (maybe a foot over). I have Gt500 14" disc's on the front and BMW 330mm vented on the back, also have brembo's from the newer Mercedes S600. I am running a R200 VLSD for now with 3.57:1 i think, 18"x9.5" wheels. It looks like we did the mounts the same, also not to make you jealous, but the oil pan exactly fit the contour of the crossmember.

Looks like fun too! Manual trans would be cool of course, but a lot of work to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLane View Post
Sander I'm eager to see/listen to this one!
Me too! Although I hope it'll be any time soon.

I didn't do anything to the car the last 2 months, mainly because the summer season is the high season at work and I'm building a CNC plasma cutting machine as a sort of in between project to make my life a bit easier. I have so many brackets and levers etc to fabricate for the intake and other stuff on the car that it would be nice to automate it. On that I did make progress. Once that's done, I'll continue with the car again.

Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #370
JerryJS8
der Junge

I mean, it's not a car update, but I guess we can let this little side projekt slide as progress

Looks great! Can understand the desire for automation
JerryJS8 is offline   Reply With Quote