home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
ScotchWhiskey
Board Member

Default More V8:LS Swap - Fuel and Wiring

Hey guys, so I’ve got a GenIII 5.3 sitting in my 92 740 turbo wagon. Next on the list is plumbing the coolant system, modding a wiring harness, getting fuel to it, and a custom driveshaft and exhaust.

So what is everyone running to get fuel to the LS transplants? I see a lot of swaps use the corvette FPR as sort of a returnless system. Is there any chance to set it up inline under the car and use the Volvo pump? Or will I need to use an aftermarket unit like a Walbro?

With the wiring, my plan is to use the LT1swap wiring tutorial to create a standalone type harness to run the engine. What do I need to integrate out of the 740 harness to keep any functionalities? I know the coolant sensor will need to be there to run the gauge on the dash, but is there anything else? Will I need to keep a Volvo ECU and EZK in the vehicle for any reason? I thought I saw a thread where a guy was unpinning stuff at the ECU harness and removing it from the engine bay.

Any help or direction would be great, I’ve read and read on this stuff for years but sometimes it’s best to get direct information from someone with firsthand knowledge and experience.
ScotchWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

get an adapter fitting for the fuel filter outlet and run a new line to the fuel rail. if you're using a return style system, you'll probably need to either run aftermarket rails and a regulator (and then just use the OE return setup, this is what I'm doing)

for the temp sender for the gauge, you'll probably just want to put that in the upper radiator hose, I haven't found a suitable (that I know of at least) interchange sensor that threads into the head. I haven't really spent much time looking for one though either, car has not overheated after putting a bigger radiator in it. You will not need to keep the lh and ezk boxes.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I'd have to think a stock Volvo pump would really be on its limits trying to feed an LS? Although I guess no boost makes it a lot more likely to work.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
MikeSr.
What, me worry?

I used the corvette fuel filter/regulator and a walbro 255 in the tank. 58 psi and returnless system. I placed it in the housing for the main 240 pump. Short supply and return hoses and one fuel feed to the rail.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
ScotchWhiskey
Board Member

I like both ideas on the fuel systems, probably need to see which type of return system I have and go from there. I have several intakes so it seems like the vette filter/regulator and Walbro would be the optimal setup.

Am I correct to assume that I can just pull the majority of the wiring harness for the engine and then unpin those from the ecu connector?? Everything but the coolant temp for gauge??
Old 05-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #6
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSr. View Post
I used the corvette fuel filter/regulator and a walbro 255 in the tank. 58 psi and returnless system. I placed it in the housing for the main 240 pump. Short supply and return hoses and one fuel feed to the rail.
Similar setup. I mounted my regulator on the firewall above the booster.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I'd have to think a stock Volvo pump would really be on its limits trying to feed an LS? Although I guess no boost makes it a lot more likely to work.
nah, I was fine til the in-tank pump started blowing the fuse and then it would lean out. Of course, I didn't discover this until I'd put a 450 in the tank lol
Old 05-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
ScotchWhiskey
Board Member

What kind of line are you running from a fitting in the stock filter to the LS fuel rail??
Old 05-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

I have ebay rails on mine, but it's a -6an
Old 05-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Are you sure your engine has a returnless fuel system? Some GenIII 5.3s have a conventional return style system.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #11
stevE85
Formerly 1983_242

OP, is this for a turbo 5.3 or just a simple LS swap? The C5 filter/regulator is super easy if you're leaving the 5.3 stock. If you're gonna boost it, you might be best off starting with a return style system. Fueling issues suck to deal with when everything is already assembled in the car.
1983 242: 11:1CR B23/M46/3:73's 121WHP DD'er

1982 244-Build Thread Here
stevE85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #12
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Most of the motors I've seen have back pressure regulators - so there's a return line from the reg. The issue is simply where is the regulator located. If it's on the fuel rail - then you have a return line running all the way back to the tank. If you mount a Corvette style filter/reg near the tank, the return line is short. And you just have a 58 psig single line running to the front. Some folks refer to that as a 'returnless' system - but it's really just not returning from the fuel rail. If you're using an ECU from a set up that had a regulator on the rail that takes a vacuum connection -- the ecu is programmed expecting that fuel pressure will vary with the vacuum signal. And the Corvette filter/reg won't do that. You can alter things in a tune - but if you're trying to keep it simple and that's the style regulator/ecu you have -- then you'll run a return line to the back. Mine's in a 240 - like Mike Sr. above, mounted the Corvette filter/regulator on the platform for the OEM inline pump. Put a Deatschwerks DW300 in the tank. -6AN lines.

I found it easier to just run a few new wires for gauges, idiot lights, etc. than to try and pick them out of the Volvo engine harness. Besides, a lot of the original harnesses under the hood have seen better days anyhow.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #13
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Man I wish we had an LS swap subforum to catch all the info in one place...

1979 242 B21 on MS, waiting on L33
2006 V50 T5 AWD 16 PSI +
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #14
ScotchWhiskey
Board Member

Going to be a pretty simple 5.3 with cam and springs with a 4l60e. Going round and round with intake manifolds as I’m stuck with truck manifolds and no good clearance. Either space the subframe or find a LS1 intake which is near impossible where I’m at. I have return-less and return style fuel rail set ups right now, so either option should work for me. I will most likely attempt the vette filter/regulator after the info in this thread. I’m really tempted to swap the redblock out of my 240 and start over with a chassis that will fit the truck intake!!
Old 05-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #15
ScotchWhiskey
Board Member

Scored a LS1 manifold with returnless ls4 fuel rails, so after modification there I will hopefully be running the truck injectors with the c5 filter/regulator. Going to keep the Volvo pump for the time being and see what kind of output I get.

Also got low mount alternator and power steering brackets for more hood clearance, just need a Camaro PS pump now. Then the throttle cable issue will begin.

As far as wiring goes, my plan is the dissect the 740 engine harness to get rid of everything that is unnecessary under the hood. This thing is a whole beast of its own and I have a new appreciation for anybody who can simply put together ‘just another LS swap’ in a timely and precise manner.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #16
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchWhiskey View Post
Scored a LS1 manifold with returnless ls4 fuel rails, so after modification there I will hopefully be running the truck injectors with the c5 filter/regulator. Going to keep the Volvo pump for the time being and see what kind of output I get.

Also got low mount alternator and power steering brackets for more hood clearance, just need a Camaro PS pump now. Then the throttle cable issue will begin.

As far as wiring goes, my plan is the dissect the 740 engine harness to get rid of everything that is unnecessary under the hood. This thing is a whole beast of its own and I have a new appreciation for anybody who can simply put together ‘just another LS swap’ in a timely and precise manner.
volvo pump won't be enough. I had to remove mine for a walbro 255 or something. Stock wasn't giving me enough pressure to work with the 5.3 engines. Kept getting lean codes.
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #17
ScotchWhiskey
Board Member

Looks like I’ll probably pick up a pump to make sure I’ve got the pressure necessary to run the GM powerplant. I’ll look into the Walbro 255 and the Deatschwerks DW300. Always heard the Walbro was a noisy unit but no firsthand experience there.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #18
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

all the aftermarket pumps are noisy.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:19 AM   #19
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I never really noticed the in-tank DW300 on mine.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #20
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
The Walbro 450 I installed was quieter than the fuel moving through the rail and lines when I was priming the system. It's almost unnoticeable.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:09 PM   #21
turbotankshane
Board Member

I've got a autozone something or other stock replacement in the tank and a kjet turbo pump under the car, stock 4.8 on 7 psi from twin 52's. This setup was good for somewhere around 400 from a b230f+t on e85 so I figured it would work for low boost on 91 on this motor. I plan on upgrading soon but it's been just fine so far.

As far as wiring goes, its very simple even with a stock ecm. I cut down a harness to the basic circuits for injectors, coils, ecm power, trans and o2s, picked up a generic 6 fuse holder at the parts store, along with 5 relays, and ran a single key on power circuit to trigger the relays, ran a fuel pump relay circuit, used the volvo starter solenoid circuit and it fired right up and runs fine. I might be forgetting a small detail but the point is it was very easy. I kept pcm control of the trans too.
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:35 PM   #22
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
Can barely hear the Deatschwerks 300 unit in mine prime; can't hear it at all when the car is running. OEM/quiet mufflers on mine - it's quiet.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:48 PM   #23
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Can barely hear the Deatschwerks 300 unit in mine prime; can't hear it at all when the car is running. OEM/quiet mufflers on mine - it's quiet.
****ing oklahoma germans and their stealth technology.

I dont mind my noisy 255. I know when its working along with the bosch 044. When the noise goes away, I know I have a problem
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:33 AM   #24
2fast242gt
Do you have a cobalt?

Walbro 450's are insane quiet also. Turbine style pump
2fast242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #25
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

044's are hilariously loud. even louder if you mount them to the chassis with no dampener hahahah