• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1970 1800E Driver Restoration

Looking good, its going to start looking great soon.

Thanks! Am now wishing that I'd been plugging away at the parts detailing; in a time crunch and all my free time is spent over buckets of Simple Green and 35% vinegar concentrate. When I want to get some fresh air I spray Rustoleum. :)

I'm amazed at the cleaning power of the 35% vinegar. Never used it before but I'm now sold on it; parts that looked like junk are shiny new after a good soak and some gentle brushing.

Before:

script>

After soak, brush, spray with high temp clear and repaint of the bracket:

script>

script>

Very impressive! I started working for a dealer when these were almost new. E f I was a total mystery. But with the help of the little cartoon book some actually got fixed. These were a very high cost to produce. Steel came from West Germany,sent to Plate Steel Stamping in England.. Is the plate still in yours? Body was built then sent back to Sweden for completion.

Do yourself a favour and connect the fuel system. Pump, lines including regulator (fpr) ,damper, filter and injectors. Run and flush it. Nothing won't stay the vinegar. I prefer to use high quality fuel and add two stroke oil 1/150. Get out the water and rest of the vinegar. You are able to check for leaks on the bench. Especially cold start injector and the 4 injectors. At 12v to open them. Do it outside!!!!! Fire at your workshop otherwise. There is "testfuel" available, expensive and won't burn. Bad part: this stuff tacks/glues the valves if stored too long. Prepared of leaks and fire :-(
Good luck, very good result in cleaning. I'm impressed, Kay

Last edited:
VIs the plate still in yours?

I'm no expert but I believe the body production shifted to Sweden with the 1800S models and later.

As for the FPR and the vinegar: I figured acid would be no good for the guts of it so I looped a piece of hose between the two nipples and clamped it down before the vinegar soak...

I'm no expert but I believe the body production shifted to Sweden with the 1800S models and later.

As for the FPR and the vinegar: I figured acid would be no good for the guts of it so I looped a piece of hose between the two nipples and clamped it down before the vinegar soak...

Bodies were still stamped by Pressed Steel in Scotland even into 1800S production. Final vehicle assembly shifted from Jensen (P1800) to Volvo (1800S). But by 1970 the body stamping may have moved home to Volvo as well, I don't remember.

This thing is looking significantly nicer than a "driver restoration." Exciting!

Thanks for clarifying Duder....and yes, thread title is misleading at this point. There's obviously been significant scope creep since this got (ever so slowly) rolling. I'm now aiming for a ~Condition 2 vehicle that can be driven in nice weather.

To that end, got the air cleaner assembly finished today with the arrival of a nice repro sticker from Deanoko on Ebay:

script>

Have a parts order coming in tomorrow and should have the heater assembly put back together this weekend.

script>

script>

The only really visible progress....spent the weekend cleaning and scrubbing over vats of vinegar and Simple Green again. Nearing completion of the parts detailing.

Absolutely amazing, first the paint looking perfect and then the engine looking brand new! This will have been a great restoration, I can't wait to see more progress.

Back