• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b200ft: swap in a 531 head with Vx3 cam + worth the hassle?

Msi

Hello all,

I'm upgrading my 96' 940 (b200ft) with a td04hl-16t (6cm^2 housing), 3" DP with a cutout after the DP, 400cc injectors, high flow f.pump and FPR, ezk/ecu chips, big IC (classicswede), MBC, air box and an adjustable cam gear.

Basically, more air, more fuel, more exhaust and more management.

While I'm at it, I have a chance to swap in a 531 head with Vx3 cam that came off of a 94'-95' N/A 940 with a b200xx engine.

Edit: it came off a 94'-95' N/A 940 with a b230xx engine.

The questions are:
- is it worth the investment of time and money?
- what are the potential gains to be gained from such a swap?

My goals are 200rwhp.
But eventually, some time in the future, I'll want to graduate to 300 rwhp, with adequate air/fuel/spark/management upgrades.

I also want some street drivability but this is not a daily. It's supposed to be a fun street car that I can occasionally take to an amateur track/drag/drift day events. Not for trophies but for proper fun!!

Your thoughts are much appreciated in this matter.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew.

Last edited:
Hi,

If it's free then do it, if not, spend your money elsewhere.

531 and 530 have an equally ****ty exhaust side. It does not make sense to spend money on a stock 531 imo.
A 530 with a worked exhaust side (ported, particularly the inner radius, 38mm valve) will be way better than a stock 531.

VX3 is an upgrade over the T-cam but I wouldn't spend any money on it.

200whp is doable with the stuff you already have.
300whp you will need a larger turbo, bigger injectors, and a non-volvo cam (v15/v16) will help, as will a better header. Your stock 530 will do 300.

My opinion.

Back