• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Cyl head rebuild. Worth it to put valve hushers?

Acid8000

Just wondering if you guys think it's worth it to have the shop put them in? Or do they fall apart and gum things up in time?

Also any of you know what the little grey plastic peices that come with the cyl head gasket kit?

If the cylinder head is sitting there all naked and waiting to be reassembled, and there's a bag of hushers sitting right beside it, go ahead and put them on. It only takes a minute. They snap onto the top of the valve stems, the cam "buckets" drop in next, then the cam gets bolted down. Just remember, in 15 or 20 years you may have to replace them again, when they get hard and stop hushing.

Also any of you know what the little grey plastic peices that come with the cyl head gasket kit?

You'll need to be a bit more specific.
Are they Lego block shaped?
Are they "Adult toy" shaped?
Are they bigger than a breadbox?
Are they smaller than a grain of sand?
Are they stamped with a Ford logo?

In vague theory they prevent valve tapping from setting the knock sensor off and the ECU pulling timing, hurting HP and MPG.

I'm not sure how that works out in the real world, though. I think the piston squirters were mostly there to do the same thing, allow them to run tighter piston/bore clearances to reduce piston slap, which could be confused for knocking.

When I had my head done, they put them in. That head dropped a valve within 18 months and when I opened it up to see what was what, those hushers were already useless powder. They're probably in this head too, but it makes no difference imo.

In vague theory they prevent valve tapping from setting the knock sensor off and the ECU pulling timing, hurting HP and MPG.

I'm not sure how that works out in the real world, though. I think the piston squirters were mostly there to do the same thing, allow them to run tighter piston/bore clearances to reduce piston slap, which could be confused for knocking.
No knock sensor here and I have the head gasket graveyard to prove it.

Back