• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Splash pan...worth it?

They're good for keeping the alternator nice and dry when you play the Puddle Game(tm).

*puddle game - finding the deepest spot of a puddle and driving through it at speed to see how big of a splash you can make without hydroplaning into oncoming traffic

volvogeek said:
They're good for keeping the alternator nice and dry when you play the Puddle Game(tm).

*puddle game - finding the deepest spot of a puddle and driving through it at speed to see how big of a splash you can make without hydroplaning into oncoming traffic

you win when the lights flicker and the belts squeal

The IpDs are super aesthetic, seem to be very nice quality... if I had a couple of buck to burn... one would be on my car ASAP.

However, I bought an ABS plastic one that has been on my car for 3 years... no problems... in fact, I agree, it keeps everything nice and tidy & dry.

It not only protects the belts but the lower steering knuckle too.

I can usually just reach down into the engine bay and retrieve my tools.

The splash pan is also suppose to help the aerodynamics of the car.

tjts1 said:
Yeah... good luck getting them out of there without droping the pan.

I have very good luck just reaching down and picking them up, thanks. That's one of the reasons the pan is there. Yup.

Pardon the old thread bump...but does anyone know the size of the bolts for the splash pan? I am putting one on my 240 and all the bolts have gone missing.

6x1.25 if jimbo didn't impact drive a sheetmetal screw in there that has now rusted and fubared everything. :rant:

The OE plastic one seals a lot better than the IPD around the rack boots and generally. If you can find a good condition metal early one and block off the vents, you are basically set (profile of the plastic one, but made of steel).

I'm probably gonna have to drop the dough on an ipd s90 splash shield. Pick n pull has 0 7xx or 9xx series ones. I got lucky on my 244 and got 1 there. I could tell it was under at high rates of speed. On this s90 I think its more of a cooling airflow through the radiator effect. My electric fan comes on quite a bit and its not even hot yet. Yikes!

Makes a big difference in airflow, how long the belts and accessory bearings and timing idler bearing lasts. Abrasives and corrosives being flung all around doesn't do anyone any good. Anyone have the joy of taking an engine out of an 84 and earlier 240 because the York clutch sticks on and the York rattles so bad trying to compress old nasty refrigerant that it shears all 4 mounting studs off in the block? Easier to keep dirt out of the bearing, and tension the belt right...

This said it shouldn't be night and day for how often the fan runs, I'd keep looking if it isn't very warm out. 960 has 2 coolant sensors and they do go bad, maybe a bubble or a seeping hg or something. Clogged up rad, sheared water pump impeller or shot water pump bearing, or radiator full of dirt are all common enough. Happy hunting!

The cheapie plastic ones aren't that terrible as may be more viable than a used one.

A splash pan is worth it. The difference they make on the condition of the engine bay is immediate. Your altenator will last longer too. Buy one, bolt it up and enjoy the positive impacts.

A splash pan is worth it. The difference they make on the condition of the engine bay is immediate. Your alternator will last longer too. Buy one, bolt it up and enjoy the positive impacts.

I'm dealing with that issue currently. Volvo champ is all this snow, but I feel my alternator took all the pain.

Back