home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 12-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #26
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940wagon View Post
Might have to get one of these for my otherwise stock b230f... would look good in the engine bay and would give me a chance to re-do the rest of the leaky ass exhaust... I'm assuming for an otherwise stock motor there would be basically 0 performance gain with one of these?
You should have a tangible seat of the pants performance gain. Long ago we put a IPD header on our 76 245 with a B20F in it and got a reasonable performance gain. That was with a 4 to one header.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #27
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdevel View Post
  • MS2 - Full sequential, ls2 coils deeworks 8v bracket, modified firmware to cut AC compressor at TPS Flood Clear setting
  • Single in tank fuel pump, AN line, ADC fuel pressure sensor
  • cold air intake, K&N filter
  • IPD VX Cam
  • IPD Lowering Kit, Konis, 5spoke 940 turbo wheels, IPD sway bars
  • 940 electric fan conversion
  • Parallel flow condenser with custom AC lines
Do yourself a favor and dump the VX cam. Get an Enem V16 NA cam and a worked over head, otherwise that header will do zilch in terms of performance improvements.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #28
dl242gt
Can play the blues

An enem V15 will work very well. While a V16 is also a great cam. The V15 is called the street performance torque cam for a reason.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #29
Bready
board deviant

Quote:
  • MS2 - Full sequential, ls2 coils deeworks 8v bracket, modified firmware to cut AC compressor at TPS Flood Clear setting
  • Single in tank fuel pump, AN line, ADC fuel pressure sensor
  • cold air intake, K&N filter
  • IPD VX Cam
  • IPD Lowering Kit, Konis, 5spoke 940 turbo wheels, IPD sway bars
  • 940 electric fan conversion
  • Parallel flow condenser with custom AC lines
My experience adding the header to a relatively stock motor was fairly negligible. I found the cam (which you've done), larger exhaust and lightened fly-wheel (if manual) all provided a much better bang for the buck. I added the header last and really was disappointed in the results - didn't really notice much of anything. Sure that changes with a head or longblock that has seen significant modification.

Just my 2 cents. Looks like a well designed header.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikS View Post
Eat the dog, shove the gold up my ass, and move to Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Keep your minds out of my pants.
http://math.350.org/ http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...-math-20120719 MUST READ!

Kalazdar - (3/23/83 to 5/12/03)
Bready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #30
Bready
board deviant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Do yourself a favor and dump the VX cam. Get an Enem V16 NA cam and a worked over head, otherwise that header will do zilch in terms of performance improvements.
Sort of my thoughts as well. Though I had a different cam, never used the VX.

That said even with a better cam I didn't notice squat with the addition of the header after the other aforementioned mods.

Last edited by Bready; 12-27-2017 at 04:13 PM..
Bready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #31
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bready View Post
Sort of my thoughts as well. Though I had a different cam, never used the VX.
I used one for about 2 months. It was the worst cam I ran on a NA redblock behind the M and L.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:12 AM   #32
quillc
yv1a.com

For most NA stuff, the stock compression isn't enough to make use of most of these cams. To get the most out of these cams, you need an adjustable cam gear and play with the advance to get the best performance. If you don't want to put in new pistons, put a thinner HG and cut the head.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:48 AM   #33
jsdevel
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
An enem V15 will work very well. While a V16 is also a great cam. The V15 is called the street performance torque cam for a reason.
Where can one of these be purchased?

I'm loving the info in this thread BTW. If I could travel back in time, I probably wouldn't've purchased the VX cam. It was one of the first purchases I made some 3 years ago when I used to believe IPD was the best place for Volvo performance parts

My engine is likely due for a rebuild, as it has well over 300,000 on it. My plan was to get the exhaust re-done as it's 30 years old, rusted, and leaky. I've had trouble dumping fuel from the false lean readings. The main reason for the header was I didn't want to invest any more $$ into this old system, and if I could fab up 2.5" cat back from the header, then I'd be in a good place to +t in a few years (unless I could get decent performance out of an NA DD).
jsdevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:13 PM   #34
dl242gt
Can play the blues

I bought my cams a long time ago from enem.se. I ordered on the phone with them and spoke to Jan the proprietor. I don't know who is there now. The cams have served me well for a long time. Not going to be the cheapest cam. but they have a wide variety and were very pleasant.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:27 PM   #35
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Where can one of these be purchased?

I'm loving the info in this thread BTW. If I could travel back in time, I probably wouldn't've purchased the VX cam. It was one of the first purchases I made some 3 years ago when I used to believe IPD was the best place for Volvo performance parts

My engine is likely due for a rebuild, as it has well over 300,000 on it. My plan was to get the exhaust re-done as it's 30 years old, rusted, and leaky. I've had trouble dumping fuel from the false lean readings. The main reason for the header was I didn't want to invest any more $$ into this old system, and if I could fab up 2.5" cat back from the header, then I'd be in a good place to +t in a few years (unless I could get decent performance out of an NA DD).

300,000 its dead. You need new pistons and a new bore..
You cannot do a HiPo n.a. and then turn that high comp n.a. thing into a turbo motor.
N.a in the end is about high compression which equals torque.
Turbo is about compression + boost so you have LOTS of charge crammed in and that is about torque..
Its always about more POP..
You just do it differently
Pistons and cams are different turbo vs n.a.

Decide what you want to do..Then do it.
Not:
Quote:
er um I thinkmaybe Iwanna dothis but then Iwannadothatmaybe sohowcanIdo everything
You CAN have plenty of n.a. fun but not if you listen to guys who have maybe build 1 slightly warmed up engine in their lives..

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:04 AM   #36
jjona5
Board Member

Tell me more about the condenser of yours! I want to put in a cam when I rebuild my spare engine with a header but right now upgraded condenser for the Houston heat and humidity is next!

Great thread btw. Thanks for sharing.
jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #37
MikeSwanson
Board Member

Can you mate it up to the stock catalyst etc.?
MikeSwanson is offline   Reply With Quote