• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HUB's 1968 122s Wagon Project

I always thought front coilovers like this would be the way to go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPEN-BOX-SP...er-Kit-fits-QA1-qa-1-Components-/161711181638 Where the upper end of the taper wound spring would fit in the stock position. Just need to make adapters for the lower mounts.
I think I'm the guy the OP is thinking of for moving the lower ball joint. I did it as an experiment to look at ride height. It was too low for me so I never drove it that way. But if you want to try, I cut the mounting pieces off two old BJ's and put them in the stock location, set the new BJ's on top of the lower control arm and installed appropriate length grade 8 bolts through both pieces. Lowered the car about 50mm, that is all!

I always thought front coilovers like this would be the way to go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPEN-BOX-SP...er-Kit-fits-QA1-qa-1-Components-/161711181638 Where the upper end of the taper wound spring would fit in the stock position. Just need to make adapters for the lower mounts.

the QA1 setups also come in stud-stud variants, so you might just be able to grab something bolt on and go. I had some part numbers somewhere... and Andrew tried something, but not exactly sure which ones.

Dismantling of B18 Engine and reassembling of Front Suspension

Front end all done, just waiting on springs.
cBjYUSvl.jpg

Got the block torn apart today and will take to the shop tomorrow.
KmCUDdEl.jpg

YNEcL9pl.jpg

lTtipwll.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Reassembling of Front Suspension

Sent the coilovers back. They don't work. Ordered new springs. Much better.

9C3spmml.jpg

aJ8LvVAl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Reassembling of Front Suspension- Parts back from Powdercoating

Got parts back from powder coating and got the block back. Started painting the block tonight.

Xc9Ukbrl.jpg

efDfOoFl.jpg

I3CQuJnl.jpg

ughTFfCl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
B18 Block Painted (High Heat Ceramic)

Block painted and ready for rebuild.

zO7n25Tl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Powder Coating Parts- Reassembling of Front Suspension

Some more baking last night.

FVEdf3Nl.jpg

VV3Gbqfl.jpg

dY9vRzdl.jpg

MVvq3bnl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Reassembling of B18 Engine

Well I started to to put the bottom end together last weekend.

enV7m5el.jpg

Uw7gH4Cl.jpg

zmJaAp3l.jpg

YD27XsBl.jpg

jWyHMzdl.jpg

STiNVvXl.jpg

WiddMOsl.jpg

wyVFvWCl.jpg

eljreVWl.jpg

5GlO3OJl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
You missed painting the bottom of your block. I use an extra oil pan to cover up the bottom of the block so I can rotate it on the stand and make sure I paint everything as good as possible.

I'm really satisfied with the height of those 750# springs. Mine settled lower than I expected which is great because I was expecting them to be higher than I wanted. You're gonna need to cut those bumpstops down for sure. Or get some short ones.

You missed painting the bottom of your block. I use an extra oil pan to cover up the bottom of the block so I can rotate it on the stand and make sure I paint everything as good as possible.

Painted everything that needed to be painted on the block. Areas that have gaskets going over it will just have a clean surface with maybe a little sealant (not the head).

I'm really satisfied with the height of those 750# springs. Mine settled lower than I expected which is great because I was expecting them to be higher than I wanted. You're gonna need to cut those bumpstops down for sure. Or get some short ones.

I will good sir. Thanks for he help. What dims and weight did you use for the rear?

Thanks,

Painted everything that needed to be painted on the block. Areas that have gaskets going over it will just have a clean surface with maybe a little sealant (not the head).

He was meaning the little ears at the front of the block and the mounting ears at the back of the block for the inspection plate...

Back